Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Alert

Be Careful About New Platform Update KB2670838

by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 12:33 PM PDT

Microsoft has released a new "optional" Platform Update for Windows 7 which seems to be a precursor to installing Internet Explorer 10 on that operating system. Unfortunately, with laptops and other mobile computers which are using Automatic Updates, a few issues have come up. It's extremely important to be current on hardware drivers for mobile computers specifically.. See the link below and read the links about the various crashes that are occurring as a result of the update:

Google Search for KB2670838

As a result, I ran tests on a couple of comps here, one an HP Win7 desktop with up-to-date drivers, and a second was an HP Win7 laptop with older drivers.. Not wanting to test fate, I visited the HP site and updated all the drivers on the laptop and then installed the Platform Update on both machines. Both seem to be fine after the update and I noticed no issue, plus I also installed IE10 on the desktop.. So far, so good.

Just a word to the wise. Some are having problems with this Win7 update and it would be a good idea to read about the issue before installing the update.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Be Careful About New Platform Update KB2670838
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Be Careful About New Platform Update KB2670838
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be Careful Uninstalling!
by winged foot / March 15, 2013 6:12 PM PDT

Thanks Grif. I ran into trouble and wanted to send out a word of caution to others. I read your post and went to the microsoft page via your Google Search link. There I read that my computer was not compatible with KB2670838 and that I should uninstall it. So I did. Wrong move! My computer wouldn't boot up afterwards - got hung on the splash screen telling me that the new changes were configuring. So I did a hard shut down anyway, and went into safe mode. Thankfully, the system knew the problem and proceeded to cancel the uninstall and reconfigure. Now all is well.

I run Win 7 Home Prem SP1 on HP Pavillion g6 B5A04UA#ABA

Collapse -
Thanks For The Post...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 4:26 AM PDT

It's clear some are having issues with this particular update..... and MIcrosoft is hearing from them.. Luckily, most folks simply need to bring their drivers up to date and it sill allow the Platform update to install safely.. In other cases, there are no applicable drivers and those users are out of luck.. We'll see if Microsoft can rectify the situation.

For those that want to view the KB2670838 Microsoft article directly, here's that link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, I read the MS Support article last night
by michhala / March 16, 2013 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks For The Post...

.....and confused on many levels with the last Windows Update.

1. Is the Optional Platform Update (KB2670838) problem related only to laptop and not PC?

2. It is not clear that to install Important Update for IE 10, one must install the Platform Update when it is listed on Windows Update as Optional and the other as Important?

3. I installed all Important Updates that were checked. There were two Important Updates not checked: KB2670838 (Platform Update) and Important Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2807986). I understand why the former is unchecked, but not why the latter Update KB2807986. Is there any reason why I should not install Update KB2807986?

My thanks......Miki
Dell Studio XPS 8100
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, IE 9

Collapse -
I Installed Them All, But Only Installed IE10 On Test PC
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 3:06 AM PDT

I like to take things slow at first and I did all the research regarding the Platform Update before installing such on my test desktop.. Since almost all of the problems with KB2670838 are indicated in laptop/mobile computers, I felt fairly safe installing it on a desktop AS LONG AS I updated the drivers for graphics and audio.. My next step regarding the Platform update will be to move to a couple of laptops that I just updated for drivers as well.. None of my laptops are on the "not compatible" list so things should work fine... but I haven't got there yet.. IE10 seems to work fine on the desktop but in my case, I don't use IE that often... I'm still in testing phases for IE10 primarily because the laptop users here seem to use IE as their primary browser.. I'm making sure it won't cause issues for them.

As to KB2807986, I installed it on all Win7 computers because it is related to a Kernel Mode Drivers vulnerability. I try to install all vulnerability fixes when possible. I've found no problem on any of our machines with that particular update but it's probably UNCHECKED in your updates list because it fixes a vulnerability which requires local access to a computer, something not all users think is a vulnerability.. I do, so I installed it..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you....thank you....thank you, Grif
by michhala / March 17, 2013 7:21 AM PDT

Your perfect reply is indeed more than helpful.....you answered all my questions, including one I did not ask (which drivers to update). Your careful testing and comments re the Platform Update, including not often used IE 10, are appreciated by me and others who Search for information and help.

Thank you again....

Miki

Collapse -
I've noticed...
by Willy / March 18, 2013 2:43 AM PDT

Just a note to ya Grif...I did that update for a friend's laptop. It went OK, but user noticed that the frequent or saved shown links that attach at toolbar area were gone. Overall, it seemed to work OK, I found no items other than that and even there it didn't catch my eye. No calls as of yet.

I also wondered by IE10 1nd KB# weren't [x] off as it that's not normal. The titles themselves didn't offer a clue to any possible glitch. Thanks for the link, I'll be hatching it shortly.

FYI- The recent user used a Toshiba laptop, not on the list. Also, it maybe a quick clue of laptop any that use Radeon/AMD gpu, maybe that's a root cause, IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Microsoft Is Making IE10 Optional For Now...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: I've noticed...

...but I'm guessing the update will eventually be CHECKED and be made "Critical"when Microsoft decides it's "time".. Previously, there were a number of discussions about IE10's release for Win7 and for commercial/enterprise networks, many system admins were choosing the option to NOT install it, waiting for lots of testing to be done first. Enough flack was raised by enterprise folks that MS decided to NOT make the updates required at this point.

And yes, it appears like the problems are related to Radeon/AMD graphics cards.. And many of the incompatible laptops have combinations of AMD and Intel chipsets installed.

Hope thishelps.

Grif

Collapse -
IE 10 testing
by Fish / March 27, 2013 9:35 PM PDT

Hi Grif, any update on your testing of IE 10 0n your laptops?

Collapse -
I finally got around to replacing
by itsdigger / March 27, 2013 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: IE 10 testing

a cooling fan in my Toshiba Qosmio yesterday and than decided to do a Window 7 upgrade from Vista. All went fine until the updates started installing. Somewhere along the line ( I think after sp1 was installed and the last one was IE 10 ) it hangs up on the splash screen for 3 to 4 minutes and than I can log on. I did a system restore to prior to IE10 but it still hangs up . Later on today I'll try the driver updates and see what happens. Just an update for everyone else...There's Sumpin' Sneaky Goin' On Still with MS .....Digger

Collapse -
Update : I downloaded Toshiba Service Station
by itsdigger / March 28, 2013 2:03 AM PDT

and Toshiba updated my Nvidia graphics driver and than I installed the rest of the updates and now it only takes 68 seconds from a cold boot to a completely loaded OS. Much Better ! Now I can create my new Windows 7 image discs. Cool I'm a happy camper....Digger

Collapse -
Good Job ! Vid Driver Updates Seem Important For....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 4:38 AM PDT

....installing the Platform Update and IE10.

Thanks for posting back.

Grif

Collapse -
So Far, So Good... But I've Only Done A Couple
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 10 testing

Most of our laptops are Windows XP, so I've only got a couple which have Windows 7 on them.. Both are HPs and both are G6's. One has an AMD processor, the other an Intel.. So far, neither have had problems with the Platform Update or the IE10 install. As I mentioned before, I made sure to update all their drivers, especially audio and video before installing the update and IE10. It's important to note these computers aren't used for gaming or anything out of the ordinary.. In addition, I still find it interesting that IE10 looks basically the same as IE9 on all our installations. I see little difference. But we're seeing no problems at this point.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Update corrupted Dell Studio 1747
by ericghanson / March 22, 2013 10:52 AM PDT

The KB2670838 update caused the Areo affect for transparent Taskbar to stop working, prevented Turbotax from opening ANY returns, prevented the Protector Suite 2012 Control Center from running, and prevented many program icons from displaying. Removing this update fixed all the problems that I spent more than a week trying to find a fix to.

Collapse -
None Of That Happened Here, But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 1:31 PM PDT

...but I don't use Turbotax or Protector Suite 2012.. Aero works fine here and I've had no problems with icons failing to display. As mentioned earlier, many are able to fix the problems by updating video and audio drivers on their machines before installing the Platform Update.. And since the Dell 1747 isn't on the list of affected computers in the MS article, did you try updating such?

Thanks for the post.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.