Samsung

General discussion

BDP3600 stopped playing Blu-Ray disks but still plays DVDs

by moeyphil / August 15, 2010 9:49 AM PDT

Had a problem playing a rental Blu-Ray (Saving Private Ryan) on firmware 2.07, so I updated the firmware to 2.09 via Internet. Not only did this NOT correct the problem, but now NO Blu-Ray disks at all will play. Standard DVDs will play just fine. On-screen error message simply says "Cannot play the disk." Tried to downgrade back to 2.07 with both USB and CD; all attempts fail with "Error in the firmware data" message. I have reset numerous times by holding down the FFWD 'button' to no avail. The unit does reset but the playback problem does not correct.

When is a firmware fix to be released for this problem? My machine is out of warranty, and only a new firmware will fix this. Otherwise it is useless to me. Can you give me any kind of time frame for this? I noticed that the 2.09 firmware has been removed from the download site, most likely because many, many other 3600 owners are in the same sinking boat.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BDP3600 stopped playing Blu-Ray disks but still plays DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BDP3600 stopped playing Blu-Ray disks but still plays DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BDP3600 stopped playing Blu-Ray disks but still plays DVDs
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 16, 2010 8:25 AM PDT

moeyphil,

Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA for a new firmware. I am addressing this issue with those who can make those decisions. The only recourse I have on this issue is to contact the Samsung customer service center regarding this issue to see if you are able to get a resolution.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Support...Oxymoron!
by murphylaw / August 25, 2010 9:02 AM PDT

So I'm geting really reall frustrated...nothing but problems with this player since I bought it in March. The most recent issue is that the player like sooooo many others is that freezes and will not play after a recent firmware update to 2.09. Call me foolish but I sort of made an assumption that a BD "player" would actually "play" a BD. Wrong.

The most recent issue in a list of seemingly never ending BD 3600 issues is that my "player" has started freezing right after the movie trailers finish. Doesn't matter what movie, just so long as it's a blu ray, the player will freeze. Have tried skipping the trailers, fast forwarding etc but it doesn't matter. The trailer ends, the player freezes. It had been working fine last time I used it but last night I tried to watch a movie, got through the trailers and at the point the movie would normally finish the trailer then go to the main menu/movied, the player freezes. The display reads "00:00." Immediately after freezing, the BD Player stops sending a signal to my Samsung tv and the TV's display reads "input not found" as though the player has been turned off.

If I hit "play" "skip" "ffwd" etc nothing happens whatsoever. Trying to eject the disc also doesn't work. The tray will not open. The only thing that does work is the power button. I powered the player off then back on and once again, this allows me to watch the trailers but the player will not proceed to the disc menu after the trailers end. At the exact moment the trailers end and the player should go to the movie menu, the player freezes, display reads "00:00" and the only option is to power off. Repeated this five times with no change in outcome. Also tried with a number of Blu Ray discs and the same outcome. Will play the trailers but then freeze. Have tried a couple of regular DVDs and they seem to work fine but blu ray discs will not play and the machine will freeze.

I called Samsung Support (what a joke) and am told they're unaware of the issue. Really? Take a look at the online forums guys...so I've had enough and since they tell me I'll have to send it back, I figure this is my only choice.

From here, it should be easy right? Wrong...its Samsung we're dealing with here. I spent two hours on the phone yesterday and two more today just trying to get these clowns to get my information right. They'll take you're information down then email you a package label to send the player back using UPS. Each time they email me the label it is wrong...so far we've had wrong name, wrong serial number, wrong address, right address wrong name, wrong name right address, wrong product, wrong tracking number...etc etc...its unbelievable. Almost as crazy as having a $300 player that doesn't play. so I think after 15 calls and four hours on the phone they may...just may have gotten this shipping stuff right. Nevertheless, I have about as much confidence that I'll ever see this player again as I do that if I flap my wings I'm going to fly to the moon. My wife thinks I'm insane to even try. Just keep it she says. We don't need to watch blu rays...DVD was just fine. Keep it until March until the Samsung warantee expires and the extended warrantee I purchased (thank God) kicks in. At that point I can take it back to the vendor and swap it out. Don't sent it to them she says. The player doesn't play, the support doesn't support, the techies have no tech...haven't you learned yet that these guys can't help you she says? Hmmm...well I'm an idiot so tomorrow I'm going to plaster the 10th label (yep 10th) that they had to send to replace the other 9 that were wrong. I'm going to take it to UPS, hand it over, say good bye to my non-playing player then start flapping my arms and hope for the best. Good bye my $300 peice of crap...ahhh to have bought a Sony...at least then I'd have a player that plays.

Collapse -
Sent it in
by moeyphil / August 25, 2010 3:56 PM PDT

That's what I ended up doing; I sent it in for repair. However, I think it is pretty darn lousy that I will be charged 50 bucks to get the firmware reloaded; a firmware, I might add, that was released after the labor warranty expired. If the problem was caused by me, then I should pay, however, the issues were caused by normal updating functions built into the software of each unit; these are functions that are recommended by Samsung for the user to regularly perform.

Does Samsung have such little faith in its blu-rays that they will only guaranteed 90 days labor? Granted, there is a year warranty on parts, but this problem (and a majority of the problems with their blu-rays, if this board is any indication) seems to be software and not parts-related.

Nice little racket Sammy has here. Break it then charge to fix it. One of the other posters here threatened a class-action suit; this sounds like a fine idea by me.

Next time I will buy Oppo. No question.

Collapse -
Ripoff
by moeyphil / August 25, 2010 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Sent it in

And of course, now I see that a new firmware is imminent next month, AFTER I sent the player in for repair (under a $50 fee).

Samsung, you royally screwed me. I will make it a point to badmouth every Samsung product I can to my friends, family and associates. You've been blacklisted.

Collapse -
new update
by THEFERMANATOR / August 31, 2010 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Ripoff

Yep SAMSUNG came out with V2.12, and it made the problem WORSE! Now I can't even watch DVD's with it. I sure hope that a class action lawsuit is started against SAMSUNG for this mess. I didn't even get 6 months out of this player before it quit playing BLU-RAYS, now in AUgust it quits playing DVD's courtesy of there latest so called fix.

Collapse -
bdp 3600 samsung
by gemelli14 / September 10, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sent it in

on my secong player--1st one would not even accept a dvd or blue ray after firmware update.they sent me a bdp 3600 works fine --except it will not play certain blue ray--ex avatar-breaking bad--i have a lg blue ray player in my computer tower that plays it all --i was online with samsung after a 73 mb firmware upload that did nothing to resolve
any of the issues with the player-it still will not play some blue ray discs--i agree we should join and tell them they should check their updates before release.and also extend the warranty coverage to 1 year for labor also.the latest update was version 2.12 which i installed.good luck all--i guess from now on LG

Collapse -
LG
by THEFERMANATOR / September 10, 2010 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: bdp 3600 samsung

I went with an LG BD to fix my problems as well. SAMSUNG can keep there garbage for firestarter for all I care.

Collapse -
New 630 and sony bluray~ plays dvds awesome NOT BLURAYS
by mdarque / February 11, 2011 1:45 PM PST

I tried to find the appropriate thread for this problem but cant...

i hope you guys at samsung tech can help please... i had a huge problem with my old samsung flat screen and samsung offered to fix it for free, but 3 attempts later they suggested i get this model as a trade out. i love it; its awesome, but i has different connection than the last one and im frustrated reading these posts; i hope i did not jump out of the pan into to fire with this tv?

i just hooked everything up: hk hdmi receiver. sony bluray player hdmi. mac mini at tv. and 630 series 6 lcd. i had everything working pretty comfortably on the last unit and figured i could easily do the same. buuuuut here is my problem. i cant get bluray to play on the unit. read it cant support and it can support 1080p hdmi but would like to know my trouble.

sony hdmi out
hk hdmi in
hk hdmi out to 630 hdmi in.

all connections and equipment worked prior to tv switch.

dvds play amazingly. even got better sound and picture with your tv, but it just flounders around and goes black within seconds of displaying the resolution window then downgrades to hdmi/bd (?) 720x(something) and just stays black. bluray player plays the discs but no image or sound on tv.

exit bluray and dvd plays exit dvd bluray same thing.

do i switch the tv to 1080i or what how to i get blurays to play.

michael

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.