Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P3600 Firmware Update

by luckyrod / July 1, 2009 6:27 AM PDT

Today my BD-P3600 signaled me that there was a firmware update available. The machine then proceeded to download this update and then it installed it. After the installation the player shut itself down. When I turned it on I had to reinstall the network settings. Now the player finds the network and sees the two computers on the network but will not find the shared folders that it found in the previous firmware yesterday. I went from version BEv1.34_090117_XAA to this new version Bev1.03_090528_XAA. Tech help suggests that I send the unit in for service and I am resisting because I am positive that something happened either in the firmware update or in the reinstalled service settings. I had been listening to music from my PC since April and now cannot access the shared folders on the network.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 Firmware Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 Firmware Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P3600 Firmware Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2009 7:00 PM PDT

luckyrod,

I'm looking into this. Just to clarify, this is a U.S. model, correct?

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD-P3600 Firmware Update
by luckyrod / July 2, 2009 8:27 PM PDT

Yes it is. The model number is BD-P3600XAA. Just to reinterate. When I do a network search it finds the network with and sees the 2 PC's on it and Pandora works but unlike prior to the firmware update it will not find a shared PC. When I hit enter on either one of the PCs they both disappear and the error message "Cannot find a shared PC" appears.

Collapse -
The Problem Corrected itself
by luckyrod / July 12, 2009 11:33 PM PDT

Once again I was trying to find a shared folder on one of the computers on my network for the 100th time. This time it asked me for the user name and password and found the shared folders on the main PC. Why it worked this time and not the previous 100 times I have no clue. Now I have tried it about 25 times after power off and non power off and it still remembers and finds the shared folders. ????? I will be very leary of installing any future Firmware updates, especially if I don't know what they address.

Collapse -
List of Firmware fixes for bd-p3600
by AOman14 / July 15, 2009 6:43 AM PDT

I have 2 questions for the Samsung tech person.

First, is there a list anywhere of all the fixes this firmware update has? I don't want to upgrade my firmware if it's not going to fix the issues I want or will cause other problems.

Second, how come the new version number is lower then the old version number? Old: BEv1.34_090117_XAA New: BEv1.03_090528_XAA

Collapse -
Unable to load some DVDs
by ghb438 / July 18, 2009 11:15 AM PDT

I am unable to load some DVDs on my BD-P3600 after applying the latest fw: BEv1.03_090528_XAA

The first DVD that wouldn't play was an exercise video and I thought it was just a problem with the DVD as other DVDs and all Blu-ray discs load fine, but the exercise DVD did play okay in my laptop.

Then we were going to watch disc 6 of season 1 of the TV series 24 and it would not play either. We had previously watch the first 5 DVDs of the series with no problem and all were before the fw upgrade. We had to watch disc 6 on our old DVD player so there was nothing wrong with the DVD itself.

Is it possible to get the previous version of the firmware so I can test and confirm the new firmware is the problem?

Everything else seems to be working fine and my BD-P3600 was purchased in the US. I also would like to see a list of what the firmware versions are supposed to address.

Collapse -
Firmware issue also!
by davwir / July 19, 2009 4:44 AM PDT

I have had SAME issue. Since the latest firmware update, I actually cant play ANY bluray discs.
I was told by a tech just to run the updater again.. I have done this a dozen times, with NO resolve yet either!

Collapse -
Firmware issue also!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 19, 2009 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware issue also!

davwir,

If the unit itself won't play Blu-Ray discs at all, that sounds like it needs to be sent into Service. It's not a fun answer, but at this point, there is no original firmware version available for download. If there was, I'd post it for a firmware revert, but there just isn't an original firmware version to load.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE: Firmware issue also!
by davwir / July 19, 2009 8:32 AM PDT

yeah.. I agree. I called again today, to to either resolve, or get a solution for player replacement/fix.
I was told to call back tomorrow, they are still "working on the problem'!
But each day goes by and I still cant use the player, so starting to get a little annoyed

I just want a working player..

Collapse -
RE: Firmware issue also!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 19, 2009 9:49 AM PDT

davwir,

I appreciate your frustration, and service issues are never fun.

If you continue to have an issue after tomorrow, let me know and I'll see if I can assist.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Connectivity Problem Has Returned
by luckyrod / July 21, 2009 12:14 AM PDT

After reading about the problems that people have had playing Blu-Rays after the firmware download I realized that I hadn't checked this after only concentrating on my connectivity problems written about earlier in this thread. I only played one Bluray disc and it appeared to play OK. I then accessed the network and was watching a divx file when my son rebooted the computer that I was networked with. The picture froze on that seen and I had to do a reboot on the 3600. When the 3600 came back up I lost the ability to find shared files on the network again and have been unable to get it back. Now I am back to burning divx files on a DVD and playing them. That is what I used to do with my $40.00 Phillips. I am so sorry that I ever purchased this unit and even sorrier that I ever upgraded the firmware with what now appears to be an older version. Whatever happened to tech checking this out for us? Now even the +anynet connection is getting flaky. $434 bucks down the drain.

Collapse -
Connection Had Returned
by luckyrod / August 14, 2009 7:25 AM PDT

Something else that I had noticed after the firmware update is that the player no longer sees more than one shared computer at a time. It always seems to find the one with the lowest IP. Today my computer signaled some security updates and after finishing and rebooting the player will no longer find shared folders again. I have a theory why the update backed to a lower number and it?s because Samsung must have discovered that they cannot update to all the different versions of software that they had out in the field. So back the versions up to a common version and then update all the corrections to that version. The big question is when will that happen? I tried to take the machine back to Best Buy but I had it longer than 90 days.

Collapse -
Connection Had Returned
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 14, 2009 9:38 AM PDT

luckyrod,

The version number was an oversight, but the date on the firmware notes that it's a newer release. There is new firmware on the horizon, although I don't have a release date, but it will most definitely be a higher version to avoid confusion in the future.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Definite Issue with Samsung P3600 Upgrade
by cdn_n_austin / August 23, 2009 1:19 AM PDT

Dear Samsung...I have been reading a number of Samsung responses to people complaining about their problems after updating the firmware and I must say your responses are disappointing in the least. I also have upgraded the firmware only to now encounter a Samsung Blue Ray player that does not play BD discs...how disappointing. After discovering this I tried to revert back to its original version...can't be done. I contacted Samsung Support only to be told it's a cleaning issue...come on guys you can do better than that. First off I can't believe Samsung would even allow a firware update to go out until its been thoroughly tested and QA...this is definitely not the case here. For an update to render a machine non-functional is an embarrassment to your organization. Prior to the upgrade I was thoroughly impressed by this device....now based upon what has taken place and the response that I received from your support desk I can only classify your product, QA testing and the ability to respond effectively as second rate. I have a lot of friends who are in the process of upgrading to a BD player and you can be assured that I have told them to hold off purchasing any Samsung player. Next letter is off to Chang-Soo Choi and Tim Baxter. Thank you for your attention.

Collapse -
Definite Issue with Samsung P3600 Upgrade
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 23, 2009 5:12 PM PDT

cdn_n_austin,

I appreciate you sharing your frustration.

I'm not sure what more I can offer outside of "disappointing responses" to a service issue. This issue doesn't affect every owner of a Blu-Ray player, and when they do, I can't offer anything further to fix it outside of resetting the unit. If I had a firmware available to revert the units, I'd happily post it. Despite several complaints (and misplaced criticisms), I simply have nothing else to offer - thus, it's a service issue.

If the unit is out of warranty, I've been doing my best to assist people in getting their warranties extended to cover this - certainly outside of what I'm required to do, but I do help people here the best I can. In some cases, I can, and others, I cannot. But I've attempted to help everyone. If you still believe my efforts are disappointing, then I'll let you have the final word.

I will also be sending your thoughts upward. In the meantime, do you have a transaction number from the service center? If so, or if you'd like to see if I can help, post it here and I'll give it my best.

--HDTech

Collapse -
what is the fix? should we send it in for service?
by daniels171 / September 25, 2010 10:33 PM PDT

So mine does the same thing (locks up) to play blue rays after the last firmware update, although it's not consisent. Note that I find if I keep it unplugged for about an hour it tends to work again. Also, it has a very difficult time playing discs from Universal Studios versus others.

I'm told that it will cost me $50 to send it in for service for what is now selling for $150 but will the fix work? and is it worth it since if Samsung is working on another firmware update that may just fix the problem itself.

Question: So my question is what does Samsung recommend to do? Send it in and it will get fixed or wait for the next firmware update and save $50?

Collapse -
Same here
by RadioActiveLamb / November 20, 2009 4:10 AM PST

After updating to this firmware, I cannot play ANY DVD or Blu-Ray disk. I've opened a case with Samsung support. They told me to try resetting the device. Hold FF with no disk in, but the unit powered on. Go through the set-up process and see if it fixes it.

I'll have to do this later tonight to see if it works.

Collapse -
Should I update my firmware
by Bravoseven / November 23, 2009 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Same here

After reading all these posts I'm very concerned about updating the firmware. The dvd player keeps telling me that there is a firmware update and do I want to download it now. I keep saying no cause the player is working fine and I don't want the problems I'm reading about here.

Do I update or not?

Collapse -
Same here - update
by RadioActiveLamb / November 23, 2009 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Same here

After going through the reset process (holding ff) and setting up the player again, I can play DVDs. However, it still cannot play Blu Ray disks. The mechanism sounds like it seeks for a long time before telling me that it can't read the disk. Next, I'm calling Samsung. Unfortunately, I'm within the hardware warranty, but outside the labor warranty. The player is only 6 months old.

Collapse -
Holding off on updating the firmware until Samsung solution
by Bravoseven / November 23, 2009 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Same here - update

I convinced that Samsung has a problem and since my player is currently working fine I'll not respond to the prompt to update the firmware. Hopefully they will resolve this problem soon. Anyone know how to get rid of the prompt? I'm afraid my wife or kids will follow the prompt.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.