Samsung

General discussion

BD-P3600 Disnet Movie Issues

by DW Drummer / September 17, 2010 1:07 PM PDT

I've had this play for about a year now. The first player was bad out of the box. The wireless dongle didn't work at all. Samsung sent me another dongle, and that didn't fix the problem either. I took the unit back for an exchange, and the second unit seemed to work ok.

Fast forward about a month... the player would stall while watching blu-rays, and then start again. DVDs however, seemed to play just fine. Netflix would often not play. Either the sound of a movie or the movie itself wouldn't be viewable.

Although a couple of these issues partially cleared up with firmware updates, it still often has problems.

I'm now having a huge issue with Disney movies. I bought Alice in Wonderland and Prince of Persia. The AIW Blu-ray played just fine, but the DVD was unable to be played at all... it would error out. The POP Blu-ray gives a notification that indicates that content on the disc can't be loaded, not enough on-board memory, and the DVD won't play either. This unit comes with 1G of on-board flash memory, and I confirmed that I'm using 0% of 975MB available.

Samsung support has yet to help resolve this issue. I'm waiting for level 3 support to contact, and help to resolve. I've even gone to the Samsung firmware download site and put a new .RUF file on a thumb drive to load the latest update, still nothing...

I also have a PS3, and no issues with either of the Blu-rays or DVDs.

Any help on resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 Disnet Movie Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 Disnet Movie Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Disney Problem on my Canadian BD-P3600
by DarthSinister / September 17, 2010 1:45 PM PDT

I'm experiencing a problem with Prince of Persia as well, both on blu-ray and DVD. The audio on the blu-ray cuts out about every 60-120 seconds. When it kicks back in, it's out of sync. Just when it syncs up, the audio quits again. The DVD doesn't play at all. I get a warning that the disc is unplayable and it's automatically ejected. I'm running firmware version 2.12 and so far all of my other discs work fine. If the Samsung tech is reading, please run this by the engineers for the next upgrade fix.

Collapse -
Glad to see I'm not the only one
by DW Drummer / September 17, 2010 10:48 PM PDT

Thanks for commenting on this thread. It's good to know that it's not just my player.

Sounds like Samsung need to jump on this ASAP. I'm also running 2.12

Collapse -
Checking Wireless Dongle
by Curt31 / September 18, 2010 2:45 AM PDT

Say is there anyway to check the wireless dongle without going through the entire procedure someway to see if it's seeing my WIFi signal I just bought a factory refurb unit and I want to make sure everything works while under warranty. By the way Samsung what is the warranty on a factory refurbished unit and where are the firmware downloads?? they seem to be missing from the Samsung site. Thanks

Tom j.

Collapse -
Wifi Dongle
by DW Drummer / September 18, 2010 4:08 AM PDT

As soon as you fire up your player (with the dongle in it), it should recognize your router, and ask for your WEP code. Once you put that in it's pretty strsight forward.

Collapse -
Wifi Dongle
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 19, 2010 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Wifi Dongle

DW Drummer and all,

Sorry for my late entry into the topic.

Are these both units from Canada with Alice in Wonderland and other Disney titles?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Disney Problem
by DarthSinister / September 19, 2010 9:16 PM PDT

Not sure about DW Drummer, but mine is Canadian.

Collapse -
Not Canadian.
by DW Drummer / September 20, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Disney Problem

My player was purchased in the states, so i can only imagine it's not Canadian.

Collapse -
Well... I'm done with Samsung!
by DW Drummer / September 24, 2010 12:22 PM PDT

I've tried to be as understanding as I can with this issue. I contacted level one, who after half an hour couldn't help. They then pushed me to level 2, who after 45 minutes couldn't help. However.. level two insured me that tech support would contact me with one business day. I'm now on day five, and no calls. This is even after I called on day three to let them know that I still hadn't received a call. They did however give me their 1-800-SAMSUNG number to call, so I've got that going for me.

Dear Samsung... I've purchased rougly $3000 of your product within the last year, I've had issues with every single one of them. Some worse than others... This is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Never again.

Collapse -
I'm done with Samsung too
by sjspig / October 23, 2010 3:28 PM PDT

I haven't spent quite as much money, but still. I'll buy almost any other brand. First, the BD-P3600 has ultra-lousy network sharing abilities - I had to enter the password for the share each time and then it only reads divx and certain types of AVI files. Lame. Second, I've had multiple discs from Netflix that the player won't play. I'm hoping to get about 1/4 the price I paid for it from auction. I sort of feel bad selling it since it's such a lousy piece of junk that I hope the people read the reviews and don't purchase it. I do want to be rid of this horrible waste of my money. I bought it right when it came out and I learned my lesson. Never again Samsung.

Collapse -
Testing WIFI
by Curt31 / September 20, 2010 8:43 AM PDT

Hi thanks DW Drummer for the help! I was hoping it would be something easy like that. And Samsung what's the warranty on my factory refurbished unit, You stll haven't responded.

Tom j.

Collapse -
Testing WIFI
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 21, 2010 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Testing WIFI

Curt31,

Sorry for the delay.

I can't confirm or deny warranty coverage. That has to be done by calling 800-SAMSUNG with your model and serial number.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Prince of Persia Playback problems
by pilotdug / September 24, 2010 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Testing WIFI

Hi. Is anyone else having problems with the Prince of Persia Blu Ray disc? I have a BDP-1600 with the latest firmware (v 2.12). When I play the disc, it works fine for five minutes or so and then the video freezes for a few seconds. Once it unfreezes the audio is out of sync. with the video. It's as if the audio keeps running (though I can't hear it) while the video is frozen. After 30 seconds or so, it resynchronizes and everything's fine until it happens again in another two to five minutes. While the audio is out of synch., the video jitters a little, too. As if it's catching up? Very strange. I've tried two discs from Netflix so it must be some kind of compatibility problem.

Thanks,

Doug

Collapse -
Prince of Persia Playback problems.
by cmmd77 / September 30, 2010 12:13 PM PDT

I have had that problem and hiccup and playback on chapters. When you reach 3 chapter the movie hiccups for a second then the chapter name is shown below. at the end of the chapter it replays the chapter! Does this for 5 or 6 different chapters. If you look at bonus features you can play the movie in Sands of Time mode... there is this knife that appears and it is for you to see some special effects, the hiccup in normal play occurs at the same time as special feature knife! Thought it was Disney's feature, but doesn't do in on PS3!

On mine the sound starts off fine and then out of sync around chapter 3.

DVD warns of upgrade for movie required but is on screen for less then 2 secs, never really had chance to read anything but first job. Nice job Disney on that one.

Wonder if any other players having same problem. My BDP1600A acting up since last 2 updates. If I say search for new update it starts and then update screen and menu screen just disappear for 2 mins then returns to startup screen like I just powered on.

Buddy having issues with his samsung as well. Another buddy has never had issue with Panasonic or Sony players he has. Sony old enough has no internet or usb. Has to download cd image to update, only done it 2 times and no problem.

Last Samsung product I will buy. Support terrible!

Collapse -
Sony!
by DW Drummer / October 1, 2010 3:35 AM PDT

Yeah... Sony's probably won't have as many issues, since they're the creators of Blu-ray in the first place. They actually probably set the industry standards to begin with, and have a specific algorithm that's more robust to variation in bly-ray strategy. I'm wouln't be suprised if Sony did this intentionally, since they tend to be devious in my opinion. But again... my opinions are strong. lol

Collapse -
What Screen Or Menu
by Curt31 / September 21, 2010 11:34 AM PDT

Do I just have to have it turned on or do I need to be in a particular menu to receive the prompt. Thanks!

Tom j.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by JSanders68 / September 20, 2010 11:14 AM PDT

My player is having the same issue with Prince of Persia - DVD. Just pops it back out.

Collapse -
BP-P3600 Price of Persia problem
by slachance / September 28, 2010 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

Same problem here. Player won't play Prince of Persia. Receive error message then the disk pops out. I have the latest firmware update.. Anyone find a fix yet?

Collapse -
No Fix Yet...
by DW Drummer / September 30, 2010 6:39 AM PDT

I just contacted Samsung for the third time on this issue. According to tech support, they recognize an issue with the two previously mentioned Disney Blu-rays (Alice in Wonderland and Prince of Persia). I guess they're working on a new firmware fix, but it hasn't been released yet. If you contact them, they'll take down your e-mail and notify you every time there's a new firmware update. Which is nice, but they already had it... I used it to regiter my components to begin with. CRAZY!!!! why take my info to begin with, if you're never going to use it? UGH!!!!

In my opinion... which has been a little strong in these strings... why is there no government standard or technical specification that these companies need to meet, before selling product to the general public? If I go to the store and buy a Blu-ray player, because I just want a really nice picture, I should be guaranteed to have a nice picture every time. I shouldn't be required to have an internet connection and a spare thumb drive laying around to get my $400 paler to play my $40 Blue-ray. It's ridiculous. I just happen to be able to receive high speed internet. some people don't even have the option, nor do they own a computer to begin with. It shouldn't be a prerequisite to own a computer, pay for internet and have a thumb drive, to own a blu-ray player. Again... moronic. God help the elderly!!!

Alright.. I'm off of my soapbox.

Collapse -
I totally agree
by sjspig / October 23, 2010 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: No Fix Yet...

Thanks for voicing what I am thinking. I have one question, do you think this is a DRM issue or the BlueRay player manufacturers' fault? I don't know who I dislike more. Ever-changing DRM schemes, or players that can't keep up.

Collapse -
Unsure of the Responsible Party
by DW Drummer / October 24, 2010 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: I totally agree

In my opinion, the Blu-ray disc manufacturer's need to be held accountable. They should be held to a certain criteria that meets a government mandated specification.

Example: If I own a company that manufactures players, I'm the one being judged when the disc doesn't play (Samsung), not the disc manufacturer. If I was this company, I'd fight long and hard for 1. a way to insure that my player is robust to anticipated changes in media, or 2. goverment regulations that force the hand of the disc manufacturer to provide proof that their new disc is capable of playing in all manufacturer's players.

This is obviously a rediculous request, which brings me back to the previous statement... "government regulated specs that need to be met by the disc manufacturer".

Bottom line... this entire posting could've been avoided if Samsung actually cared about it's customers. I was offended that when I contacted their service center, I was asked questions from a check list by a person who doesn't even understand what a blu-ray is. God forbid that you train your customer service employees on the products you sell, so they have an opportunity to think outside the box on correcting issues. Even though this is not a Samsung specific issue... I would've been less likely to post this, had I been talked to by a person that actually listened to, and tried to ferret out the problem. When someone three levels deep doesn't call back with an explanation, it's inexcusable.

Collapse -
Unsure of the Responsible Party -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 24, 2010 1:24 PM PDT

DW Drummer,

I've been a bit of a silent reporter on this. Lately, disc issues discussions in threads end up being about 'what I'm going to do about it', which unfortunately, in most cases, is test and report it.. and really, not much else.

Prince of Persia worked on my BD-P3600 when I tested it, so I'm not sure why this happens when it does. When I report positive test results, people who are affected aren't very happy, and I really do understand why. That said, I might think that with two different firmware revisions, it may be an issue with the hardware.

On that note, I do apologize that you weren't handled properly with your situation. If you have a transaction or case number, I'd like to have someone review it and see if we can resolve this. I don't know why you weren't called back, and I'd like to bring that to someone's attention.

DRM and copy-protection is not something manufacturers change or add, though we do add the programming so that the players can play it. But DRM comes from the Studios. It would be nice if there was a standard, however, there isn't one, and until there is, changes like this will make some discs not able to work immediately. With works being released in both HD and digital formats, there is an increased scope of making sure that the content is protected.

It stirs up the which-came-first-chicken-or-egg debate on duplicating digital copyrighted works and DRM and manufacturers and people who want to copy stuff, and I can't address that here. There are 1000 things I can say that lands me in trouble. What I can say is when we find something that is brought to our attention, we give it attention to see about getting it working correctly.

Avatar was released and very few players could play it on Day 1. I agree that a standard would be ideal, but at this time, that's just not the case.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks!
by DW Drummer / October 25, 2010 10:20 AM PDT

I just wanted to say thank you for chiming in on this.

As I stated in the original post, this player is number two already. I purchased the first one and it was bad from the get go. The second has been glitchy, but until this issue, I've been able to work around or ignore most things. How many do I need to go through to find one that works? Sad

I don't mean to be rude, but really... I spent a ton of cash on Samsung products last year, and though the picture quality is outstanding, the units themselves are extremely tempermental.

I unfortunately don't have the case number any longer. Since I still hadn't been contacted with a firmware update notice, I just chucked it. If there's a way to privately contact me, I can give you all of the info you require to resolve this issue.

Based on the postings in this string, it's obvious that mine is no isolated incident. Can you please let me know if this is still being worked on as an unsolved issue that Samsung intends to fix? If not... I need to move fast on obtaining refunds for the dics that don't play (Alice in Wonderland DVD / Prince of Persia DVD and Blu-ray).

Regards,

Collapse -
Are there two hardware versions of the BD-P3600
by 0hwell / October 25, 2010 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

I have the same problems Drummer has. I was wondering whats the difference between the BD-P3600 and the BD-P3600A. I was able to play Prince Of Persia on Blu-ray after I reverted to firmware 1.03 all other firmwares failed.

Collapse -
Acting up Again
by 0hwell / October 27, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

Well the 3600 is acting up again on Prince Of Persia blu-ray so against my better judgement I bought another Samsung the 6500. All I can say is wow,if it keeps performing like this my faith in Samsung is restored.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.