Samsung

General discussion

BD-P3600 changing resolution

by Magicland / August 12, 2010 10:08 PM PDT

I have a BD-P3600 hooked up via component to a standard definition TV. Obviously, the display resolution needs to be set to 480i, which it is via the setup menu. Everything displays fine. However, if I attempt to load YouTube or Netflix, the resolution changes (not sure to what, probably 480p). It still SAYS it's 480i, but since I can't see the display correctly, it obviously isn't. How can I get it to stop changing resolutions when there's only the 1 resolution my TV can display?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 changing resolution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 changing resolution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info
by Magicland / August 13, 2010 1:17 AM PDT

A bit more explanation. It seems that it's only changing resolution during the Netflix and YouTube menus. If I blindly select play from Netflix, the video will play just fine, except I've no idea what I'm selecting, because you can't see the menu screen. Video is fine in Pandora and Blockbuster. Is this a problem with the Netflix and YouTube apps, and if so, when will it be fixed so that these features are actually useable?

It's definitely switching to 480p, because if I go in to settings (not easy on a screen you can't see), change it to 480p, there's no difference, but if I then change it back to 480i, the screen is fine (except, of course, if I go back to Netflix, it jumps back to 480p). Does this happen with all firmware versions, or just the latest one (which I've got installed)? Really annoying, since I only bought this thing to watch Netflix, and I can't do it.

Collapse -
Ahh. I have an idea. Could be wrong.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 1:36 AM PDT

To thwart possible recording of content "they" may require us to connect with HDMI. Try that.
Bob

Collapse -
Only one problem...
by Magicland / August 13, 2010 3:27 AM PDT

...I don't have an HDMI input on my standard def TV (which is why it's hooked up via component). If that's the cause, it's really funny, because the content itself (which is what you'd think would be "protected") plays fine, but the menus to access the content display in an incorrect resolution. Everything works fine if I just use a composite connection, other than it looking like crap.

Collapse -
Sorry I missed that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Only one problem...

It seems most makers are making big assumptions we'll be using HD displays.

Be sure to call this into 1800SAMSUNG and get a case number going on it.
Bob

Collapse -
Component vs. Composite?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry I missed that.
Collapse -
Composite
by Magicland / August 13, 2010 4:14 AM PDT

As I mentioned, if I use composite, everything displays fine, other than it looking awful on a 35" TV (Sharp, don't know the model # offhand, and I'm at the office). Using component, things look much better, but the BD-P3600 is switching resolution when displaying the Netflix and YouTube menus (it doesn't do this for Pandora, or Blockbuster, which display fine).

In fact, if I select Netflix, switch the cables from component to composite, I get the menus just fine. I can then start the video, and switch the cables back to component, and watch it, but I hardly want to have to do that every time I want to watch Netflix.

Collapse -
Call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Composite

It looks like a bug. Unless you call it in, I don't think you'll get a fix.

I read your first post and didn't find where you were swapping cables around but I fear the answer is to move to HDTV. At least a call to 1800SAMSUNG should get you a case number to begin the report of this issue.

Right or wrong, SD looks to be dead.
Bob

Collapse -
Same bug
by duplobot / August 13, 2010 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Composite

I've been having the same problem on my p1590 player that I just got. I've done some surfing on this forum and found that this problem originated around firmware update 2.03 for both models, so I guess it's yet to be solved.

I'll be calling it in to be added to the list. Perhaps if there's enough of us Samsung will get the message.

Collapse -
Same bug
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 13, 2010 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Same bug

duplobot,

I've been following this thread. I'll be happy to send this information up, since it seems specific to two Apps.

So I have this correctly, the menu for both YouTube and Netflix are unreadable, even after setting the resolution to 480i/480p using component cables?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Resolution change
by Magicland / August 13, 2010 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Same bug

The problem is, that while using the unit in 480i mode, in conjunction with a component video cable, launching the Netflix or the YouTube applications switches the unit into 480p mode (you get two unreadable images sort of side by side). I can verify this is what it's doing because I get the same image if I manually switch the unit to 480p mode. The unit still thinks it's in 480i mode. If you exit to the menu, and navigate to settings, which is of course almost impossible to see, it's still listed as 480i. If you then manually switch to 480p, nothing changes (as it's already in that mode). However, then switching back to 480i mode works correctly. Unfortunately, once you again launch either of those 2 applications, it switches back to 480p.

Collapse -
Yep,
by duplobot / August 13, 2010 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Resolution change

Same thing here, though I don't know for sure if it's switching to 480p, just something above 480i that's unreadable. Thanks very much for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.