Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P3600 Blu Ray Player Frozen After Firmware Update

by Kbiastre / February 28, 2011 5:43 AM PST

I've had this unit for about a year and a half. Watched a streaming Netflix movie yesterday morning, then when the movie was over, I received a Firmware update message. I allowed the update to take place, in full. There were NO power outages. Once the update was completed, the Blu Ray player powered itself off.

I turned it on and found my player is frozen at the blue bubbles splash screen. I can't even get it to go to the Samsung screen where it shows the options for Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora, and YouTube. The front of the player reads "LOAD". I can open and close the tray, but it still stays stuck on the splash screen.

Tried unplugging the power for 10 minutes. Tried holding down the FF button for a reset. Held down the STOP button to try to get back to the previous version prior to this new update...NOTHING works.

I called Samsung and they told me I have to ship it to them for servicing. I'm not happy at all. Was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if there is any other option other than sending it out, which they say may take up to three weeks.

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 Blu Ray Player Frozen After Firmware Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 Blu Ray Player Frozen After Firmware Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In the same boat
by hguy / February 28, 2011 7:59 AM PST

Firmware update is hanging on 4. Since 9 am today

Collapse -
BD-P3600 Blu Ray Player Frozen After Firmware Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 28, 2011 10:52 AM PST

Try connecting the Blu-ray player to the television with the yellow composite video cable. Then power on the unit, and switch to the AV input where the blue Raiders connected. If you're able to see a menu, try to adjust the video settings as sometimes they can go back down to 480i or 480p after a firmware update. Adjusting them back up to 720p will allow you to view it through the HDMI or component cables.

To try reloading the firmware again, with the unit powered ON and this tray empty, press and hold the STOP button for 15 seconds. Then see if you can get them to the menu using the AV (yellow) cable.

Does that help?

Collapse -
Working - but
by hguy / March 1, 2011 6:04 AM PST

Do Not Power Off message remained on screen all day. After eventually powering off by removing the power plug since all controls were frozen, it worked when I powered on again. Must have done the update but failed to automatically turn off. Hope the first poster is helped by your suggestion. Thanks

Collapse -
Thank you for your suggestion...
by Kbiastre / March 1, 2011 12:14 PM PST

I haven't had a chance yet to try this fix. I should have time tomorrow to give it a whirl.

Thanks, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
same problem here
by skyscanr / May 14, 2011 6:53 AM PDT

Same problem here . Daughter has this player in her room and after getting tried of seeing it asking to allow a update she did and now its stuck on that dam load screen . Anyone get a fix yet or is it toast ?.

I am a more then a little mad as this player was working great and I do not want samsung to try and charge me for a repair

Collapse -
same problem here
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 16, 2011 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem here

Collapse -
Did not work
by skyscanr / May 16, 2011 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem here

Nothing offered here worked . Looks like a problem with the update code

Collapse -
An Update (I'm the original poster)
by Kbiastre / May 16, 2011 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Did not work

I tried the above fix and it didn't work for my player. I had to send my unit to Samsung for servicing. They said this first repair would be free. They emailed a pre-paid shipping label so I didn't have to pay to send it to them. They provided a link so I could check on the status, and once they received my unit, they worked on it and turned it around the same day. Got the player back, plugged it in, and it got past the load bubble screen, but froze again, on the very next screen! I called Samsung right away and they said I'd have to ship it back for a second repair, free of charge and they also extended my warranty for another 6 months. Their policy requires two repairs, and if on the third time it still isn't working, they said they'd replace it with a refurbished model. Not really what I wanted, but it's better than having to spring for a new unit.

I shipped my player back to them with another pre-paid label they had provided via email. I saw on the repair status updates they kept the unit longer, then we finally got it back and it's been working better than it ever has. I'm pretty sure they've seen this problem multiple times with this model. The Samsung rep even told me, don't do the firmware updates unless there is something wrong with your player.

Good luck, I hope you find the solution. It's a pain to send it back, but if you have to, Samsung did make it as painless as possible, and I didn't have to pay anything.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.