Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

General discussion

BD-P3600 audio delay on blu-ray discs and Netflix streaming

by kazwerd / May 30, 2009 12:41 AM PDT

I purchased my BD-P3600 player two days ago and connected it directly via hdmi to my new Panasonic V10 50". HDMI cable is Monster labled for blu-ray: 1080p, 120hz, 10bit color. There is a noticeable delay from video to audio - lips don't sync with voice. No difference using RCA cable. I tested the TV with an old DVD player - no delay.

I called Samsung. 1st tech rep had me reset the player with no improvement then suggested it was the TV's issue. 2nd tech rep had me reverse the hdmi cable and said he'd not heard of delay issues with blu-ray players. I've swapped out hdmi cables with no improvement.

I'm finding a lot of similar delay issues reported in this forum. Does anyone - Samsung staff or user - have a solution for me? I'll return the player this weekend if I can't figure this out.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P3600 audio delay on blu-ray discs and Netflix streaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P3600 audio delay on blu-ray discs and Netflix streaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Settings?
by MrDerbyUK / May 30, 2009 1:13 AM PDT

Hi,

Have you tried the following:

P3600:
Set audio output to Bitstream (recompressed) or Bitstream (audiophile)
Set display output to Movie (24Hz)
Set audio output to PCM (with and without downsampling on)

TV:
Turn off any "effects" processing, such as virtual 3D etc etc.

Turn off TVs motion plus or equivalent. You may have to set it to "game mode". Since otherwise the picture could be behind the sound.

I have the same player and notice no delay, but I am using it through an external Amp.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Settings
by kazwerd / May 30, 2009 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Settings?

Thanks MrDerby. I've worked through the digital output and down sampling settings on the setup menu - no joy. The amount of delay seems to vary a little, but it's definitely always present. Would the refresh rate setting on the tv have any effect on the audio?

Collapse -
Re: Settings
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 31, 2009 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Settings

kazwerd,

In all fairness, I've only seen one or two other audio delay issues, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Often times, processing can cause a delay - either the processing of the audio or video, but I'm not sure how to put that in working terms.

Do what's best for you, and if it doesn't fit your needs, then get something that will.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Really?
by kazwerd / June 1, 2009 8:41 AM PDT

Samsung_HD_Tech, thanks for chiming in, but is that really the extent of your advice? Admittedly, I might be missing something obvious here - the Panasonic V10 and P3600 are my first HDTV and blu-ray player - and I was expecting the two to work together out of the box. Is this an unrealistic expectation without a receiver in the mix?

Other info. The audio delay is worst on Netflix streaming regardless of whether the show's rated HD by Netflix. My wireless router is Belkin N+ and is located on the same level near the P3600.

I'm I reading from you that this is not likely a matter of adjusting settings - that I should swap out the blu-ray player?

Collapse -
Really?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2009 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Really?

kazwerd,

Well, there are a few things that can come into play here.

1. Not everything is 100% compatible. In cases like this, I was willing to suggest that it might be the player - it's possible. It's not unreasonable to expect them to work out of the box - but if they don't, then you don't have a solution that works for you. I always advocate a solution that makes you happiest.

2. The other is the signal processing. If the audio comes first, then picture processing is probably holding up the sync, and creating the delay. If the audio comes afterwards, then the audio may have a delay, and the BD-P3600 doesn't have an adjustment for that.

I can't speak on the Panasonic's ability to control delay - maybe they have a setting, or not. I just don't know.

3. Some streaming can display delay - (DSL or cable?), but coupled with the issues you're already facing, it may be compounded.

I hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other concerns. I do appreciate the feedback, and hope my first post didn't make you feel shortchanged. All of these issues are important to hear.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by kazwerd / June 2, 2009 8:37 AM PDT

Hey Samsung_HD_tech, thanks for the reply - much appreciated. I've worked through Panasonic's tech support, and there doesn't seem to be a setting to control delay at the TV. I'm not hearing from you that there are any special adjustments to make to the player, and since the delay's isolated to everything coming from the BD-P3600, I'm assuming that the unit's just not compatible with the TV. Seems strange, but I'm not finding another explanation.

What about inserting a receiver in the mix? I really like the feature set of the Samsung player, and I'm not returning the TV, so is would a receiver give me the control to tweak out the audio sync?

Collapse -
syncage issue
by soundgarden1 / July 24, 2009 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Hello,

Have you tried refreshing your network settings? I have seen many of these same lip-sync issues with the BDP3600, more with Netflix than Blu-Ray, but both nonetheless.

Try this:

perform a hard reset of the player... (unplug power for 1-2min)
unplug the internet connection (ethernet or dongle)
connect power, and power up
enter menu settings, go to network
plug in dongle and refresh networks
(re-enter network settings if needed)
perform network connection test
...pending the network is functioning properly...
start up Netflix and see if the sync issue remains, likewise for blu-ray.

I have resolved the issue, the majority of the times with a simple passive power cycle... and in more extreme cases, a hard power reset and network refresh. This is not a permanent fix, but typically it has corrected the issue at hand during my installations. As an custom installer and systems designer, this player has caused me nothing but headaches - constant issues with network functionality, movie playback issues and freezing up (the latter two within the BDP1600 especially!)

I hope this works out for you... keep posting and, if it doesn't work, then we'll try something else. Good luck!

Collapse -
Please clarify!
by Jan Bak / July 18, 2009 5:26 AM PDT

I have the P3600 BD player and a LE40a866 TV. I too have sync problems. The audio is ahead of the picture. I have the player connected to the TV by HDMI and I'm using the analog 7.1 out on the BD player as my amp does not support HDMI. I'm having LIP SYNC problems both on the TV?s speakers and through the amp.

Too me it looks like the TV has a processing time for the picture and therefore the audio is ahead. This is a "normal" problem at least when sending an analog signal to the amp. Therefore there should be an audio delay option in the P3600 player but there isn?t (or am I missing something)
I guess my question is whether or not Samsung is planning on implementing this option or not? If not Im going to have to return the player and get another solution which would be a shame as I otherwise really like the P3600 (I know that both Sony and Panasonic are supporting the audio delay feature)
In my opinion the absence of this feature makes the 7.1 analog out obsolete......so I must be missing something. Please help Happy

Collapse -
Pause Play Pause Play
by MrDerbyUK / July 18, 2009 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Please clarify!

On a possibly related issue, I have noticed if I pause, play, pause play etc a a title the sound drifts out of sync. I have to skip back/forwards to a chapter to resync it.

Not sure if this is of any help but may point to a problem with the logic that keeps audio and video in sync.

Regarding the TV processing the image and generating a delay, None of my other players (Xbox, DVD players etc) have this problem. One way for sure of checking this is using the S-Video out to a small portable or other none HD TV.

Collapse -
inconsistent
by mc959 / July 20, 2009 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Please clarify!

In my observations, the delay isn't consistent from title to title. One movie will be out of sync, and another will look fine (I've even seen a difference from scene to scene in a single movie). So you'd have to adjust this setting all the time. They made some good progress in the last firmware update, but the problem is still there (just not as bad), so they obviously haven't figured out exactly what the cause is (and there may be more than one problem as it seems some of us are seeing slightly different things).

Collapse -
Me too, BD-P3600
by wklinger / August 20, 2009 4:47 AM PDT

Just wanted to report that I am having the same audio/lip sync issue with my new BD-P3600 that I purchased from Best Buy two days ago (August 18). I am running the player directly into my Samsung 46'' 550 series via HDMI, and I have the latest 1.3 f/w. I originally thought it was the cheap Dynex HDMI cable I was using, so I bought a better one that was rated. For all the talk about all cables being this same, this proved it wrong because the better cable actually helped a little bit but did not completely resolve the problem.

So after swapping the cable and messing with the audio settings on the player, it's better but still noticable. DVDs aren't as bad as Blu-Ray, but again, still out of synch enough for me to notice. I should also say at the time of this writing, the only Blu-Ray disc I've watched is Batman/Dark Knight, and have not tried Netflix yet.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon because I absolutely love my Samsung LCD and really want to keep the player. Can a general audio sync issue even be addressed by a firmware update?

Collapse -
Me too, BD-P3600
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 21, 2009 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too, BD-P3600

wklinger,

The issue is being addressed, although I don't have an ETA on any firmware updates, unfortunately. I'll post as soon as I hear something. In the meantime, several users have reported that sending the units in for repair has solved the issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Seeing similar issue with following setup...
by DDDUK94 / December 26, 2009 9:26 AM PST

I just got the Samsung LED 8500 and PS3 for my Bluray. I have an HDMI cable running direct from PS3 to TV and have audio cable included with PS3 connected to my Bose 321 surrond sound system (it does not have HDMI connections). I have wathced Iron Man and Hangover in bluray thus far. Iron Man was good but Hangover had a slight voice delay. Watched standard DVD (Training Day) and it was perfect. Seems to be a bluray issue.... Thoughts?

Collapse -
Same problem with the BD-P3600
by PureJuice6 / October 13, 2009 2:47 PM PDT

Ok, same problem here. First, (after attempting all the aforementioned troubleshooting steps to no avail) they told me at Samsung that the blu-ray player was "faulty" and had me send it back for a new one and the replacement had the exact same lip sync issues. As far as integration and "compatability" goes, well I'm not really buying it since I do have a top of the line touch of red 46" lcd. I've seen similar problems with the same blu-ray player in other forums so either we're all idiots or samsung is well aware of the lip sync issues with this player which is too bad for all of us because it ruins the blu-ray experience despite the beautiful picture.

Collapse -
same problem
by inempyrean / June 16, 2009 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Settings?

Hey, I've had the same issue with the bd1250 although I have to try different formats still.

Is there a way to change the bitstream on the 1250 also?

I spoke to samsung tech support off their site and she just told me to reset the unit, which I know isn't the issue. Anyone else have any ideas or workthroughs? I'm an editor so I can catch even the slightest separation and I can't watch like this.

Collapse -
well never mind
by inempyrean / June 18, 2009 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

Never mind the sync... came home last night, turned on the machine and a "load" message just came up and it never turned on. I unplugged, I restarted, I did everything. It's currently just a big paper weight that says "load," and can't do anything else. It's only two days old! Anyone else encounter this?
Think it may be time to look into panasonic.

Collapse -
bye bye
by inempyrean / June 18, 2009 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: well never mind

just spoke to samsung tech and after quickly describing the problem they said the machine is defective and I need to return it. I asked if it was a known issue and they said no... which seems sort of dubious given that they knew the machine was screwed so quickly. Looks like this system just hasn't been tested enough, needs to hold off. Think I'm gonna go a different direction if anyone has any suggestions.

Collapse -
bye bye
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 18, 2009 5:33 PM PDT
In reply to: bye bye

inempyrean,

Thanks for giving us a try.

A last ditch effort would be to see if you can reset the machine by holding down the FF button for 12-15 seconds to see if it will reboot.

Best of luck, and I hope you give us an opportunity to earn your business in the future.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re: bye bye
by inempyrean / June 18, 2009 5:55 PM PDT

HD Tech, from the messages I've seen you putting out here, you're obviously really trying, and your effort doesn't go unnoticed. However, I do have to be honest, the response I got from calling Samsung support twice was very different and frustrating.
Personally, I love the features that the 1250 offers and it's one of the few blu ray surround sound packages that I've found at an affordable price. But having this many issues two days out of the box is sort of unacceptable for someone like me who makes TV and Film for a living. Just felt I should say that. But thank you for effort, I wish there were more people like you who had received my tech support calls and maybe I'd be considering a way to stay with Samsung.

Collapse -
re: bye bye
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 19, 2009 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: re: bye bye

inempyrean,

Thanks for your feedback, and your kind words.

I agree, and I'd rather you be happy, even if it means the product is returned. I'll be including your comments to the appropriate departments, and again, I appreciate you giving us an opportunity.

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD-P3600 and Dynex Wireless Router
by djrainer / August 23, 2009 5:18 AM PDT

I've been reading many of the posts for anything related to connecting the BD-P3600 to the network and thought many of the posts have been very enlightening yet, they have not resolved my issue. I was just turned away from the Samsung Level 2 Support (Alonzo, ID 054). He basically said my issue is with Dynex and not with Samsung and refused to not only help me any further but would not transfer me to his manager. I have been trying to connect to my network via a brand new Dynex Wireless Router (DX-WGRTR). I have tried both wired and wireless and the only way I can get thru is if I take down (Disable) the Dynex Firewall which I'm not comfortable doing on a permanent basis. I have tried opening ports 80, 8080 and 443 to no avail. I've also watched 2 movies (about 4 hours) with the Dynex Firewall disabled (per Samsung idea) and then re-enabled the Firewall and the Gateway Ping still fails. As I've read, most of the Network Tests are always failing at the Gateway Ping test. This morning I connected the system up to my old wired NetGear Router and everything worked as it should. I even watched a movie. Then putting everything back to the Dynex, again it failed. I have gone several times thru the on-line Samsung Troubleshooting and that hasn't helped. I am trying to exhaust every possible solution to get the Dynex to work before going to another Wireless Router (Cisco's Linksys) or a "For Sure" Wireless Router that you can reccommend. I will be looking for your reply and thanks for being a member of this forum, it's good to know some people at Samsung have the consumers interest in mind. Don

Collapse -
BD-P3600 and Dynex Wireless Router
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 23, 2009 5:20 PM PDT

djrainer,

If you have a service transaction number from your call, I will be having a call with service later this week, and will look into why you couldn't get a supervisor.

However, he is partially right. Some firewalls will keep the signal from going through. Most computers also have a firewall, but if your security is that much of a concern, then the hardware upgrade may be inevitable. Apple Airport routers have proprietary features that allow laptops and some other devices to go through, but they are incompatible with some devices - including ours.

Welcome to the forum - jump right in.

--HDTech

Collapse -
BDP-3600 Hanging on power-on
by NitrousDigital / September 15, 2009 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: well never mind

I had problems with my BDP-3600 hanging/freezing when powered on. It turns out that this was caused by the wireless USB dongle not being fully inserted into the socket.

Collapse -
I just got a HT BD1250 and guess what?
by expert47 / June 4, 2009 11:50 AM PDT

I saw this thread while searching for audio sync and since it's about Samsung, I thought i'd pop in and throw in my 2 cents.

I just got my 1250 HTIAB and while it's not perfect, it's pretty nice for the price.

Unfortunately, mine is doing the same as the others in a different model.

I tried 3 Blu Ray DVD's 3 non-Blu Ray and now I'm watching a Netflix movie. All of them are off in audio sync. Nothing helps.. Delay is 0 and increasing it makes it worse. A door slams and it's a 1/2 second to hear the sound.

If this is as good as it gets, who wants to bother with Blu Ray? I got rid of an el cheapo DVD set up to go to blu ray. This blows..

Techs all tell me to reset it, did nothing. Unplug it.. didn't help.. Can't talk to level 2. Just must be defective, send it in for repair.

So, i'll wait 2 weeks and see if they fix it. The tech said the same thing the Samsung tech said here. Never heard of that problem before. 1st time. Since there are hundreds of links about audio sync being off, that just seems a little rediculous.

Will let everyone know if they can fix it.!

Ex.

Collapse -
I just got a HT BD1250 and guess what?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 6, 2009 4:47 PM PDT

expert47,

<i>So, i'll wait 2 weeks and see if they fix it. The tech said the same thing the Samsung tech said here. Never heard of that problem before. 1st time.</i>

Actually, what I said was:

<u>In all fairness, I've only seen one or two other audio delay issues, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.</u>
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?messageID=3053304&tag=forums06;posts#3053304

Since I've seen 2 reports of it here (three now), and the first one only a month ago, I'm not aware of it being widespread.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Lip Sync on BD-P3600 and Streaming.
by CrestronProgrammer / June 8, 2009 1:44 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with both DVD's and Blu-Ray.
Have tried new and old DVD's, currently on have 10 Blu-Ray and it doe it on that as well.

I install various hardware in peoples cinema's for a company, but clients normaly opt for a Denon Blu-Ray as they can be controlled over rs-232, however there are no lip sync issues.

Also the PC-Streaming is an issue. Have to keep entering details of the NAS in, IP, Sharename, User account and password.
Would of thought it would store the details apart from the password.

Submitted a support query today, got an acknowledgement, but you cannot update it, more time to waste.

P.

Collapse -
Lip Sync on BD-P3600 and Streaming.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 9, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

CrestronProgrammer,

I don't have any updates on this issue yet, but I'm still working on it.

Would you list a few titles that are having lip sync issues? I'd like to recreate this in our lab and send the reports on up.

We recognize that the website is limited with one query at a time, but we do maintain our site here on C|Net to address these kinds of issues.

I appreciate the feedback, and will continue to address this issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Titles
by CrestronProgrammer / June 9, 2009 9:18 AM PDT

Hi HDTech.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Blu-Ray titles I have watched recently, please note my Blu-Rays are all UK region encoded.
Ironman, Batman, Shoot 'em Up.

DVD's
Region 2's - Gattaca, Armagedon
Region 1 - Dune

Spend more time working at the moment and do not get much time to watch!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul.

Collapse -
Titles
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 9, 2009 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Titles

CrestronProgrammer,

It's good enough to get the ball rolling on this issue. I would like to submit this issue tonight. Thanks for the response.

Before I do that, can anyone with U.S. machines confirm the same, or other titles that are having the same issues? I want to reproduce this issue and see what I can do.

One last thing: Did you guys see this thread? Does it help any to change the bitstream settings? Is there any difference or improvement?

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?messageID=3051793&tag=forums06;posts#3051793

--HDTech

Collapse -
Search Google for hundreds of references
by expert47 / June 10, 2009 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Titles

Hi HD_Tech..

just for your info, if you search google for lip sync problems, you'll find hundreds of pages of them. Not all are Samsung, this seems to be a more widespread problem with many companies having similar problems.

I had a service guy out to look at my tv for another issue and he said it could be the age of my tv causing the lip sync delays.

I've decided to go for broke and ordered the LN52A850, which looks like a rocking LCD TV.. Maybe this will correct the problem, and i'll let you know if upgrading the TV helps.

And for anyone thinking of upgrading, I got mine at Best Buy for $2184.99 plus $350 for 4 year full replacement warranty. Amazon had it at the same price without any warranty program, but that seems to have expired as their newest prices are $500 more. Don't have a clue how long the deal on BB will last but figured i'd pass on the info.

Now I just hope the 850 lives up to it's reviews..!

Marty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.