Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-P1500 won't pass hdmi video through Onkyo SR 606

by ead000 / October 25, 2008 2:27 AM PDT

I have a new BD-P1500 blue ray and a new Onkyo SR 606 receiver. The HDMI video will not pass through the receiver. HDMI audio from blue ray will play from the receiver. So the only way I can get video is to run HDMI directly to TV video input and use optical cable from blue ray to receiver for home theater audio. I've been told that I'm losing out on audio quality by not using the hdmi cable to DVD input on receiver. The hdmi port on receiver is not defective as I successfully passed through hdmi video and audio to TV from Phillips hdmi DVD.

I called samsung and was told that there is a compatibility problem between samsung and onkyo. Has anyone else had this problem? I have not seen it posted and its hard to believe there are not more people with samsung blue ray and onkyo receivers having this compatibility problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-P1500 won't pass hdmi video through Onkyo SR 606
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-P1500 won't pass hdmi video through Onkyo SR 606
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD-P1500 Onkyo HDMI compatibility problem
by Steve-n-TN / October 25, 2008 8:45 AM PDT

I have a BD-P1500 and an Onkyo TX-SR705 and am not experiencing your problem. I am using one of the HDMI inputs on the receiver and the HDMI out to my Samsung 52A650. Are you running the most current firmware on your BD-1500? If not haven't updated it, I would start there first. I'm assuming that you have tried using the same HDMI input and cable on a different device to confirm that you can pass audio and video. Have you checked on the Onkyo website for any firmware updates for your TX-SR606 or you might contact Onkyo at 800-229-1687, they might be able to talk you through a setting on your receiver.

Collapse -
BD-P1500 Onkyo compatibility problem
by ead000 / October 26, 2008 2:16 AM PDT

Thanks for the information that your Samsung and Onkyo communicate. I updated Samsung firmware yesterday and will give it a try. My Philips DVD video and audio passes through the Onkyo to a Sony KDP-57WS550 using the same HDMI cables with no problems so I don't think its the receiver, though I will check to see if there are updates for Onkyo.

Collapse -
Works For Me
by TheOfficeMaven / November 3, 2008 2:07 AM PST

I just purchased a BD-P1500 and an Onkyo SR-606 and things are working just fine for me. I have the P1500 hooked up to the 606 via HDMI and the 606 hooked up to the TV via HDMI. I have the 606 setup to pass HDMI video "Through", and I have the P1500 setup to output 1080p at 24fps. Just watched the Hulk last night and it had outstanding picture and sound quality.

The best part about the 606 is that it works great with my Samsung LN46A650's Anynet+ feature. It's really nice turning on/off the TV and having the 606 do the same automatically. I also like being able to see the OSM showing the volume control menu for the 606. It's not perfect, but it sure is better than nothing.

Collapse -
BD-1500 gives black bars top and bottom on Samsung ln52a650
by swells14534 / November 3, 2008 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Works For Me

Since I updated the firmware including the BD-Live, I am getting the top and black bars while watching blu ray movies. TV works great with hd channels, full screen. I have only had this issue since updating the firmware on the bd-1500.

Collapse -
Aspect Ratio
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 3, 2008 11:35 AM PST

You might have to go back and adjust your aspect ratio on the player. When the firmware updates replace the old files, the player is often set back to the default settings. While that may not have been a default setting out of the box, it may be the setting that the player initially defaults to.

Some movies are transferred with black bars, as the producer chooses what aspect his or her movie will be filmed in. This is considered normal for some films.

Collapse -
BD-P1500/Onkyo SR-606
by bdun / December 25, 2008 3:30 PM PST

I have the same combo. It works, for the most part. After about 2 months of light use, the picture rapidly degraded and the signal was lost. I had to re-seat the HDMI cable in the player to get the signal back. After the 3rd time, I called Samsung, they had me reset the player. It's happened twice since but now the signal comes back on it's own after a couple seconds. Happens with BR or DVD. The player is updating right now but I expect I'll have to call Samsung again...

Collapse -
Onkyo 606 pass-through
by jaguar000 / July 23, 2009 8:37 PM PDT

I have the same problem
Panasonic BD60: FW 1.9
Onkyo 606: FW 1.03 / 08630A
Panasonic 42X10: FW 1005-10000
the newest cables Profigold HDMI 1.3

I do not know how to get a new Onkyo firmware.

Official Onkyo answer:
"We are sorry, but we can't find out from here what the exact reason is for
this problem.
Our engineers at Japan just check this matter at the moment.
For now we have no new information in this issue.
Could you please come back around middle of August."

Does anybody have any solution?

Collapse -
BDP1500 - Onkyo Video playback issue
by soundgarden1 / July 24, 2009 7:22 PM PDT

When using the receiver as the HDMI switch, and only audio plays back - it is typically an HDCP authentication issue. If the receiver doesn't validate the HDCP compliancy of the player, it will deactivate video output. This was a big issue for installers about 3-4yrs ago, when receivers would cut video playback to TVs, from HDMI connected cable boxes; however, the HDMI audio would still playback. the reason for this was that the cable boxes were sending additional information, outside of the receivers HDCP authentication parameters, and it would deem it as non-compliant. This was corrected by receiver manufacturers via updates, and the issues were corrected as well with the newer models. You can force it to work by, of course, running the HDMI direct to the TV, then out from the TV to the receiver via optical cable; however you will not be able to utilize HD audio formats (lossless) such as DOLBY TRUE HD or DTS Master Audio - only through HDMI can lossless audio formats transmit.

First off: how old was the Philips DVD? (It will help me further troubleshoot later on)

I would try a few things... first, to be safe: turn off the 'Anynet+' features within the BDP1500... next, go to the set-up menu of the Onkyo and disable the 'RIHD'(located in 'Hardware Set-up), which is Onkyo's version of HDMI-CEC (consumer electronics control)... also, set the HDMI output resolution to 'Through' - this will pass the signal along to the TV with no conversions, just as it is output from the source. I would have a back up HDMI cable, just to be safe (if you haven't verified that the cable is operating properly already) for testing purposes. If after you have set the devices up as indicated, and you still don't have a picture... then I would try to update the firmware of the BDP1500 - a longshot, but it is worth trying... there are no current firmware/software updates for the Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver, and it is v1.3, so the HDCP authentification processes will be up to date. The fact that the Philips DVD worked via HDMI does not eliminate receiver issues... if the Philips is an older version of HDMI, it would not have transmitted the same amount of info that HDMI v1.3 will transmit... that being said, there MAY have been a hidden issue with the receiver's firmware/software when processing that additional information... again, a longshot, but there is a small chance. The BDP1500 was riddled with issues, and there were many returns due to defect, dozens in my experience alone... if you can, try and get access to a new BDP to test it out... if a difference BDP works, then we can definitively say that it is the BDP1500... Let's see how this works out, and we'll go from there! Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Collapse -
by ovikanobi / August 13, 2009 4:03 AM PDT

I have a BDP1500 and Motorola DVR (Comcast) connected throught a Onkyo SR606 to a brand new Samsung 55" LCD LED. If cable box is connected through reciever's HDMI input (Through mode), video plays for about 15 seconds and then screen turns solid green while audio still playing.
As for the BR player, it mostly works, but I have seen it hang and I have seen a picture get distorted, this happens very seldom to the point I am not really concerned about it. However, both inputs devices (cable and player) seem to work prefectly when connected directly to the TV. I tried 2 players and 2 cable boxes on all 4 HDMI inputs - same behavior on all.
My inclination is to assume that the 606 has an HDMI design defect.
I have been talking to an Onkyo rep who offered no help other than to suggest I ship the brand new reciever to their repair center...
You seem knowledgeable and your observations are similar to mine.
Any more advice?

Collapse -
BD-P1500 won't pass hdmi video through Onkyo SR 606
by _jr_ / July 26, 2009 3:44 PM PDT

If you say you've just got this new BD-P1500, I'd say try another model/brand, and if everything checks out, take the 1500 back.

The problem is most likely *not* the Onkyo, as I've got the exact same model and it behaves well re: HDCP with Blu-Ray players. I've got Dish HD, DVD, and Blu-Ray all connected via HDMI, and I have not had the problems you're describing.

Assuming you've got all the inputs set up correctly on both the Receiver (can be overwhelming) and the TV, I would recommend testing things out with a different BD-Player. Go to a local electronics store, find out what the return policy is, and purchase something else that you might consider as a replacement. You can always return it later if it doesn't work or you hate it.

Don't stress over it, just try another model. You may never know what exactly is wrong with your current setup, but at least you'll have a working Home Theater to enjoy.

Good luck,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.