Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-C6500 No Sound From Netflix Instant

by jp5532 / December 2, 2010 11:46 AM PST

I have major audio issues with my BD-c6500 when streaming Netflix. (along with the stretching of 4x3 content)

The internet connection is wired.

The Sammy player is connected via hdmi to my Onkyo 605 receiver.

Audio output setting on the Sammy is set to "Bitstream (audiophile)"

All firmware has been updated.

I often get no audio whatsoever from Netflix, once I even got garbled audio. If I reboot a few times, I'll get audio, but then if I watch a DVD or BD and come back to Netflix, I'll get no audio again.

All dvds and blu-rays play fine, Vudu worked fine when I streamed a movie I rented off the service. Netflix is the only area where there's an issue, so its not a wire/receiver problem.

PLEASE HELP! I'd really prefer not to return this unit to best buy.

*I tried posting this question in another thread, but accidentally replied to an older post, so I fear it'll be lost in the other thread*

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-C6500 No Sound From Netflix Instant
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-C6500 No Sound From Netflix Instant
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try post number 5 at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2010 1:20 PM PST
Collapse -
Test reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2010 7:56 AM PST

There was a report this was locked. Testing.

Collapse -
no go on pcm
by jp5532 / December 3, 2010 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Test reply.

Thanks for that link, but the answer provided there doesn't create a permanent fix (even PCM provides no audio on Netflix after some time).

Even if it did, I shouldn't be forced to switch to PCM just to get Netflix to work correctly.

Collapse -
Sorry but we had to try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2010 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: no go on pcm

Let's see what HD_Tech offers and be sure to call it in for a case number.

It's odd you say you shouldn't have to change settings. I'm debating with others if consumer products need to strip out all features that might be usable to some but not all. Your reply lends credence to those that want to remove everything save the on/off button (I'm over stating this.)
Bob

Collapse -
no go on pcm
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2010 1:57 PM PST

jp5532,

You noted that this doesn't provide audio 'after some time'.

Are you able to get audio initially, and then it stops?

Have you checked for a firmware update for your receiver? I've seen a few posts that suggest one is available for your model - and may be part of the solution for the audio symptom.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No netflx audio following software update bd-c6500
by Mtnfamily / December 6, 2010 12:57 AM PST

I have three BD-C6500 Blu-Ray players in my home. All were working fine. On one of them, a software update was recently automatically installed and we no longer receive the audio stream from Netflix on that one Blu-Ray player. Every other application's audio stream on that Blu-Ray player is audible. The other two Blu-Ray players have not had the software update installed and they still receive the Netflix (and other apps) audio streams without any problems. I have called the Tech Svc number twice and been promised a call back but no response has been received.

Collapse -
No Audio for netflix streeming on BD-C6500
by sat14 / December 9, 2010 2:33 AM PST

I do have same issue with BD-C6500 player, no audio when I'm streeming from NetFlix, rest works fine no issues.

latest firmware installed
connected wired/wireless

NetFlix audio works only when I visit Pandora and come back to NetFlix.

Collapse -
Pandora work around only thing that helps
by castermmt / January 1, 2011 1:41 AM PST

After taking the upgrade today no sound with netflix but everything else had working sound. This Pandora work around is the only thing that worked for me. Its only a temp fix. Samsung needs to get this fixed ASAP.

Collapse -
Re: Pandora work around only thing that helps
by eric_sd / January 19, 2011 3:36 PM PST

Ditto. This work around works for me.

I just got my C6500 today and experienced the same issue. I too upgraded to the latest firmware.
Also noticeable is that I have no sound from the voice track (? or main sound track) when playing Zone 2 DVDs. It's a little weird, I can hear music track(s) but not the voice track...

I can't believe that no patch/upgrade was made available by Samsung today... I guess I'll return my box and get a Sony or other brand player. But hey, I learned something about Samsung.

Collapse -
No Audio on Netflix on Samsung BD-C6500 - Optical Output
by rmandaro / January 31, 2011 6:31 AM PST

I agree with the Pandora work around. As long as you listen to Pandora first, the sound always works once you go into Netflix.

I am using the optical digital cable for audio output into an Onkyo receiver. I read somewhere that if you use the analog audio outputs it solves the problem. Something about the Samsung software not being smart enough to route Netflix sourced sound out the optical port. Has anyone else heard about this specific issue????

If this is the case shouldn't Samsung be able to do a quick fix...

Collapse -
Firmware seems to be fully updated
by jp5532 / December 6, 2010 2:59 AM PST

Thanks for replying, HDTech.

My firmware update tells me that I have the latest version (1019.0)

The audio seems to work steadily if it works the first time I load up Netflix. If I go to Netflix and there's no/garbled audio, then the only way to 'fix' it is to reboot.

PCM seems to be more stable then Bitstream (audiophile), but still susceptible to the problem... I think the player was on PCM when I go the garbled audio a few times.

I did call tech support, but only spoke to a level 1 person (honestly, not trying to be a jerk here, but it was a pretty horrible experience) and was put on hold for level 2... but I never made it to anybody and had to hang up. I can find the ticket number if it really helps.

Collapse -
added...
by jp5532 / December 6, 2010 3:07 AM PST

By 'after some time' I mean that eventually even PCM audio stops working... but from what I can tell, the audio will either work or not at the beginning of the Netflix session and remain that way.

In the case of it working, it'll work till I leave Netflix, play a dvd or bd, then go back to NF. The only way to fix it is to reboot.

That may seem like a lot of movie watching in one sitting, but for example... when you power up the player, it auto-loads any disc that's currently in the drive (a feature I can't seem to find an option to shut off). So if the disc plays, then I stop it and go to Netflix, the audio won't work in NF.

Collapse -
Firmware seems to be fully updated
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 6, 2010 5:59 AM PST

jp5532,

I'm sorry about the experience.

If you haven't already, try to reset the player by pressing down the STOP button and waiting for the unit to reset. Then connect back to your wireless and then let the Apps re-install with the new firmware.

Make sure that the disc tray is empty when performing this. After it's done, you'll power down and want to reboot the player with the tray empty.

If that doesn't work, a transaction number would allow me to let someone review the case and maybe try a different approach to getting this working.

--HDTech

Collapse -
BD-C5500: No sound after firmware update
by canex2007 / December 24, 2010 9:12 PM PST

I experienced the same problem as others. Basically, after firmware update, no audio from Netflix. Netflix Video still works flawlessly and so other Apps. The reset or reboot can help to some degree, but the issue always comes back. I think there are some SW bugs and Samsung engineers have to root them out.

My configuration:
Firmware Version: 1019.0
Audio: digital optical
Connection: CAT6 cable, gigabit ethernet

Collapse -
Same issue. Take back to store?
by Jhgroenjes / December 27, 2010 1:34 PM PST

Got my BD-C6500 just a few hours ago. Upon first bootup, it says a firmware update is available ( after I connected to my wifi). I assumed this would be a good thing, so I allowed it to update. The next 15 minutes of playing with my new Samsung blu-ray led me to three major issues, all of which were googled and easily found on this forum. How can it be that my brand new player:

1.). Can't resume from the screensaver on pause without crashing and powering off
2.). No audio on Netflix
3.). Overall very slow operation. Especially on the NannyMcPhee Returns disc.

What a disappointing first moments with my new Samsung product. I've read posts clear back to firmware 1015.4 having the pause resume issue! Here all us BD-C6500 owners are now sitting with rev. 1020.1 and that issue is still there??!!!? As a bonus, they even broke netflix audio for us in the newest firmware. Should I continue to have faith with Samsung or just take this thing back to the store and go with another brand?

Please help Samsung support. Your response will greatly influence my decision. Model code. XAA

Collapse -
Take it back...
by jp5532 / December 27, 2010 5:07 PM PST

My experience with the player is more and more negative by the day... Firmware takes forever to come along, and seems to create more problems then it solves. Tech support is non-existent, the guy I talked to asked me the same damn 3 questions about 30 times. Just from a pure performance standpoint, its clunky, unresponsive (really fun trying to FF... you might get a reaction from the player 20 seconds after you hit a button)... ugly interface, it just seems to never end.

I was willing to put up with many of the shortcomings based off the positive reviews of video and audio quality on BD movies... but the negatives really pile up once you start using this player.

I'll never buy a Samsung product again... what a waste of money.

Collapse -
can you back-rev?
by Jhgroenjes / December 27, 2010 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Take it back...

Right on, JP. It's about to go back. I completely agree. One other thought though. Is there a way to downgrade the firmware? Anyone got something older than this crappy 1020.1 on a flashdrive they want to post? I'd like to at least compare the older revs to see what changes. I'm not going to hold my breath though....

Collapse -
maybe...
by jp5532 / December 28, 2010 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: can you back-rev?

I've seen people asking a lot about finding older firmware, but I haven't seen anybody say they've found it.

I remember one guy posted that he practically 'begged' a 3rd tier support tech to give him a link to the older firmware, but to my knowledge, he never got it.

Imagine the patience of making it to Samsung's 3rd level support... guy must be a saint.

Collapse -
Same issue. Take back to store?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2010 12:44 PM PST

Jhgroenjes,

If you're not happy and you're in the window of return to get something that makes you happy, then do what's best for you.

The newest firmware was just released. I'm looking into this. At this point, I have no ETA.

I don't hold older firmwares.

--HDTech

Collapse -
other options
by Jhgroenjes / December 28, 2010 10:58 PM PST

I made the decision to purchase a Samsung product first as I liked the price, the features, and it matches the brand of my TV. However, that decision is now being overturned not because of me, but because of Samsung. The QA on these BD players must be non-existent to be having the history of firmware issues discussed here and in many other forums. See it from the customer's point of view; would you buy a blu ray player that couldn't pause, and could play the audio tracks of Netflix? The very fact that those issues existed and somehow passed Samsung's QA dept at the factory tells the consumer a lot about the quality and dedication Samsung has to this line of products.

JP; i picked up the Sony BX57 (Costco version of the S570) last night and if Sony-brand is also an option for you, I think you'll like it. It's exactly the same price as the BD-C6500, and (get this), you can actualy pause movies and hear netflix! Wink It's much faster overall too. the remote is a littel more jenky, but that's a non-issue for folks that have the programmable master remotes anyway.
Cheers.

Collapse -
I dumped my BD-C6500 too
by fredn24 / December 29, 2010 2:24 AM PST

- in favour of the LG BD570.

It has a proper Netflix application that allows you to browse and select movies, not just your queue (complete with audio and proper aspect ratio!).

It also plays music, pics & video from a DLNA server (with pause, rewind etc) or a shared drive (using CIFS - normal Microsoft or Samba shares). It plays almost all types of video. Certainly much more than Samsung.

And it's cheaper than the Samsung!

Is their support better? I don't know, I have never had to use it. Samsung's support is the worst I have experienced anywhere, on any product.

Collapse -
No audio using Netflix on BD-6500
by jr_e / February 12, 2011 10:22 AM PST

First time I downloaded a Netflix movie after waiting for the firmware update, and watched it there was no problem. I had just activated Pandora and checked it out too for a few minutes. But we've been lucky to get the sound ever since - I just kept pressing buttons and re-downloading the movie and it eventually worked, while the kids waited.

This is unacceptable. From reading the posts it appears Samsung is aware and has been aware of a clear defect in the product for weeks now. I'm very disappointed in Samsung.

I didn't activate the internet connection on the BD-6500 until very recently so it's out of the return window. I don't relish describing to everyone in the family to remember to kick off Pandora for a moment before using Netflix. Absurd.

Collapse -
Possible fix
by paulw830 / February 10, 2011 11:19 PM PST

I was having the same problem with my BD-C6500. I connect my player to an older receiver using the optical output. I never tried the Pandora work around but I discovered that if I went into the audio settings and switched it from PCM to one of the other settings and then switched it right back again netflix audio would start working. This also worked with bitstream, change it and change it back and it worked.

Now I believe I've found an actual fix for the problem. I went into the speaker settings and turned off the two rear surround sound speakers (used for 7.1) and now I can go straight to netflix with no problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.