Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-C6500 "Disc does not meet specifications"

by aprice0 / January 10, 2011 3:18 PM PST

I am now on my second BD-C6500 and I have tried multiple blu ray discs such as Hitch and Top Gun and the player just says the disc does not meet specifications and then ejects. I know there isn't a problem with the discs as I have a PS3 and they play fine on it. I searched online any can't find an answer to any question about this through google. Anyone know what's going on?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-C6500 "Disc does not meet specifications"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-C6500 "Disc does not meet specifications"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hope this helps
by afindlay1966 / February 2, 2011 6:34 PM PST

New to this but here goes:
Just had same problem with my samsung ( different model )
I do not normally have player connected to internet so would not have updated automatically,
I connected and went through upgrade procedure.
This appears at first test to have solved problem.

Collapse -
Disc does not meet specifications
by hagmanngr / June 4, 2011 4:01 AM PDT

I had this problem and the old standby of power cycling did the trick. I have all the upgrades but I had a regular DVD in beforehand, so perhaps that caused the problem. The darn thing is finiky.

Collapse -
same with BD-D7000
by sutjahjo / July 2, 2011 8:04 PM PDT

I am using both Samsung model BD 6500 & 7000 and strangely the same problem lies only with the 7000. Power reset works but only after long wait of sometimes up to an hour(both with latest firmware updates). This is really frustrating and I hope there is a solution soon.

Collapse -
When a title fails, it has to be reported to the BR player
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: same with BD-D7000

If folk don't report failed titles, then there is no reason for the player maker to look into it.

In the USA it's 1800SAMSUNG

Collapse -
When it happens, it happens with every Blu-Ray disc..
by sutjahjo / July 6, 2011 12:17 AM PDT

When it works, it works...

This is why it is so frustrating.

Jaw

Collapse -
This is a hardware problem.
by sutjahjo / July 19, 2011 4:13 AM PDT

Problem solved after authorised repair. This has nothing to do with the disc or the firmware. Now all discs play well and other than this unfortunate hickup. The Bd7000 is an exceptional blu-ray 3D player.

Collapse -
How to fix it Samsung Blu Ray player disc issues.
by SchoolIT / June 2, 2012 5:37 AM PDT

I had the same error, disc does not meet specifications and Cannot play disc. What I thought was awkward is that I could play a standard DVD, but not a blu ray movie. I had no issues for a year and then all of sudden. Different blu ray discs gave different errors. Being an IT director for a school I decided I was going to open it up and take a look. I took the cover off first, next the front bezel, watch out for the zero insertion ribbon cable that hooks the bezel to the unit. Now I unscrewed the blu ray drive from the the chassis and unplugged 2 more zero insertion ribbon cables. Next I took the blu ray drive and unscrewed the cover and popped it off. Now I could look at the laser lens. To my surprise there is two, one for DVD's and one for Blu ray's. This explains why it plays DVD's and not blu ray's. Took some glass cleaner on a Q-tip and cleaned both lenses. The blu ray lense is very small and won't take much debris or dust to make it start messing up, cheap! now I reversed the process and put it back together. All discs that were giving me errors now read perfect and load very fast.
I'm guessing because of the small lense and lack of protection that this issue is very common with Samsung units.
Hope this article helps someone, because I had problems finding solutions when I started searching for answers.

Collapse -
Easy fix, follow SchoolIT's instructions!
by worldofjohnboy / February 5, 2013 6:54 AM PST

I was having the same issues (also some other disc read errors, etc.) and opened my player to get access to the lasers. Quick swipe with a q-tip, cleaner, and a shot of canned air and it runs like new! (I only had to take my metal player cover off and then two screws on the drive cover inside.)

Collapse -
Removing cover on Samsung BD-6500
by andygoodman12 / February 1, 2015 8:41 AM PST

Can you please tell me how to remove the cover on this Blu Ray player?

TIA,

Andy

Collapse -
Removing cover on BD-6500
by andygoodman12 / February 1, 2015 8:40 AM PST

Can you please tell me how to remove the cover on this player?

TIA,

Andy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.