Samsung forum

Question

BD -C5500 stuck after updating VuDu app

by fuzzo108 / December 13, 2011 2:11 AM PST

When I power up and go to Internet mode, the player immediately begins a download\install. It 'downloads' for about 10 seconds, then goes into 'installing' where it stays. I left on for over an hour this morning and it never stopped the 'install' loop.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD -C5500 stuck after updating VuDu app
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD -C5500 stuck after updating VuDu app
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd call this in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2011 2:30 AM PST

They may have some reset for this or a way to reload the machine at 1800SAMSUNG or if not the US use the number in your country.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Any resolution to the this yet?
by gregand / January 16, 2012 4:45 AM PST

I have the exact same problem with VUDU and my Samsunc BD-C5500. I've had it over a year, and this problem started in the last few days. Thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
BD -C5500 stuck after updating VuDu app
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2012 9:10 AM PST

fuzzo108,

Collapse -
Answer
Here is the answer I got back from VUDU tech support...
by gregand / January 17, 2012 7:14 AM PST

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:50 PM
Subject: RE: [CASE:252355] VUDU App/Service Update Locking Up On Samsung BD-C5500

Thank you for contacting VUDU customer care. I would advise you to call Samsung and have them do a factory reset with you. If you have any other questions feel free to call the number below.
Best regards,

Caleb
VUDU Customer Care
1-888-554-VUDU (8838)
support@vudu.com

Collapse -
Answer
Weird DNS Setting
by kamion70 / July 6, 2014 10:23 AM PDT

This has happened to me a couple of times, and I always forget the fix. Turns out you need to go into Network Settings and manually assign the DNS to 8.8.8.8

Oddly enough, I realized I had done this before when I went into the settings and found it set as 8.8.8.8 this last time. So I switched it back to Auto assigned DNS and it got Internet@TV out of that update loop.

Can't say how this will affect VUDU, as I never use it and would rather delete it since it keeps presenting this problem. But for whatever reason switching the DNS assignment seems to do the trick.

Happy streaming!

Collapse -
Answer
Insufficient memory - delete some other apps
by latenitetech / November 20, 2014 12:48 AM PST

I had the same problem, and searching the internet found lots of references to this problem, but no solution that I could find. Several people said change your DNS, set the TimeZone properly, or full reset, etc. None of which worked for me. My solution (which I think is the only correct one to this specific problem), is to delete some apps to free up enough memory to allow the VuDu app to complete it's required update. I suspect when this (older) Blu-ray player was built, they (Samsung) chose a default set of apps that fit into the available memory, but as time went on and the apps grew, they eventually got to the point where the default set of apps no longer fit. And, of course, the software doesn't catch this error condition, thus the update just hangs. The solution is simple but a bit convoluted.

1) Disable your network so the update won't automatically start when you go into "Internet@TV." This can be done by simply unplugging your network cable, or if that's not convenient, disable the network in the main settings (e.g. set IP address to manual, then just leave it blank).
2) Now go into "Internet@TV" from the main screen. The update should now not start. From this screen, cursor down to "Settings" and select it.
3) If you select 'Properties' you'll see your memory is 100% utilized (60.93/60.93MB). That's the root of the problem.
4) Go back and select 'AppManager'. Pick a few larger apps you don't use that have the trash can icon available, and select the trash can to delete. It will ask to confirm, and say yes. (Some apps are locked, like VuDu, so you can't delete them.) I don't know how much you have to delete, but I did several to be safe. After doing this, I checked the 'Properties' tab again and the memory usage didn't change, but I suspect it doesn't update until you exit and come back into "Internet@TV".
5) Re-enable your network by undoing whatever you did in step 1.
6) Go back into "Internet@TV", the auto-update will restart again, but now it will finish!
7) Enjoy whatever you were trying to use in the "Internet@TV."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.