Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

General discussion

BD C5500 Internet@TV not working after firmware download

by river327 / April 1, 2011 3:05 PM PDT

Downloaded software upgrade via the internet connection about two months ago (BSP.C5500WWB-1020.1) Internet@TV has not functioned since the download. When Internet@tv is selected the TV goes to a black screen with a small box in the lower left corner that shows a downloading icon. This will run for hours without completion. I have tried to get help from Samsung tech support, but just get repetive requests to ck clock, ck internet connection and hard boot the device by unplugging it. The internet network connection alway checks-out as connected to the internet. Have tried bypassing the router and going directly to the cable modeum, have tried manually setting IP address. The internet is connected by direct wire. Attempts to update firmware result in confirmation that the firmware is upto date. Although I did get one error message once that said "model information in up grade file does not match your player." Not sure how that could be if I am automatically downloading directly. Telephone techsupport gave up and asked me to mail it in and pay $50 for a rebuilt model.

What is the problem with this device/firmware?? Too bad I used to think Samsung was a good product.....

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD C5500 Internet@TV not working after firmware download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD C5500 Internet@TV not working after firmware download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BD C5500 Internet@TV not working after firmware download
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 4, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

river327,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Blu-Ray player.

Could you provide the transaction number (included with mailing in instructions) from your call? I'd like to have one of the managers review this case.

Thanks!

Also, if you haven't already, with the disc tray empty and the unit powered ON, press and hold the STOP button for 15 seconds. This may allow you to reset the player and gain access to Internet@TV again... just a thought.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Reset via the On button
by river327 / April 4, 2011 3:27 PM PDT

HD Tech-

Thank you for your response. The reset protocol with the ON button does not work in this case. I have just tried this again and did attempt that with the on-line help several times. I wish I had the the transaction number, but did not write it down. I gave my email address to receive the mailing instructions, but was never contacted with any of the mailing instructions via that address. By that time I had spent over a half hour with the customer service operator, no doubt I was impacting their service response time average. So I got dumped without a real solution. It is hard for me to believe that there is no way to reload the firmware. But maybe that is the case.

Honestly, I like the Samsung brand, which I associate with quality televisions and formerly with other electronics. That is why a selected this player over others, price was not really an issue. My perception of quality was the driver for the purchase. Unfortunately the firmware instability for this device continues to be a hazard to the consumer. I regularly participate in Consumer Report reviews and feel obligated to report that we are unable to come to a solution. I would like to understand why a company would risk having a device that works perfectly be rendered unusable due to a firmware upgade recommended by the same company. This is a very strange business model.

I continue to have hope that some kind of solution can be found. Is there some other firmware upgrade coming soon? One that will over write this latest addition and allow functions to return to Internet@TV services?

How can I trust that I will be able to purchase a Samsung device in the future if changes to firmware cause it to malfunction?

This is all very frustrating. I hope that your technical support can figure this out.

Thanks- river327

Collapse -
Reset via the On button
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 5, 2011 9:41 AM PDT

river327,

I understand how quickly a good perception can be earned or lost, and while much of this has rested on the fact that you felt "dumped" from the call center, I'd like to at least get moving in a solution oriented direction.

That said, I'm not a customer service agent, and I don't have access to those databases. If you can call back to 800-SAMSUNG with your name and phone number, typically they can look you up in the system (or by the product) and if you can get the transaction number, post it here. Unfortunately, I can't do that step. If I could, I would.

You noted that you tried a sequence with the ON button, but I think you meant STOP button. If not, try holding down the STOP button. If that doesn't work, unplug the unit for a minute, plug it back in, and then try again. That's really the only reset there is. Anything else may require service, and if that's the case, I'm trying to assist with that. Service issues are never fun, so I can appreciate the fact that it's a letdown that you weren't contacted.

I look forward to your response.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Correct.. via the STOP button not On button on BD C5500
by river327 / April 6, 2011 4:05 PM PDT

You are correct in respect the reset protocol, I had that wrong. The resent is via the Stop button. That was offered by the customer service agent and I followed previously. The mistake recalling the exact protocol was mine. Just in case, I have tried the reboot with the Stop button again without any change in the behavior of the BD C5500. The unit still defaults to a black screen with a downloading window in the lower left hand part of the screen when the Internet@TV is selected.I also tried the hard boot by turning the power to the unit off at the surge protector for a few minutes and then powering the unit and turning it on. This did not change the results.

At this point my, disapointment with Samsung is not with the telephone customer service agents. I note here that HD Tech has not provided any addition solutions or options that the on-line service missed or failed to provide. My disapointment is focused on the firmware updates that appear to be the root of this problem.

Samsung should take responsibility for the unstable nature of this firmware platform if it can disable a $170 product due to unrelieable downloading protocol and installation. That coupled with insufficient default to reset the unit to a reliable factory default that would allow the flexibility of reloading the firmware upgrade, just seems like poor engineering or poor manufacturing. Niether of which I am interest in buying into again.

Basically I now have a product that delivers only about half of what I purchased the unit to provide. The CD/Blue Ray player still work, but the internet products are not supported. To solve this I am being asked to work through an hour or more of trouble shooting with customer service by phone and then asked to pay another $50 dollars, approxiamtly one half of the cost of a new player, to fix a firmware installation problem that was offered as an upgrade by Samsung.

Spending more money on this unit does not make business sense to me, I am not interested in spending any more of my time or money investing in a Samsung product that is unreliable and insuffiently engineered to allow resonalble management firmware upgrades that will benefit consumers.

If there is some defect in this product's manufacture, and this is an isolated insiden, I would appreciate candor regarding the products reliability to date.

If there are any other potential fixes to this product, I am open to trying them. A solution here is what I am looking for from Samsung.

As always. -river327

Collapse -
Firmware Again
by barryware / April 8, 2011 12:46 AM PDT

There are three ways to upgrade the firmware. 1st is using the internet connection, 2nd is to download the firmware file & upgrade via a usb memory stick, 3rd & my favorite, is to upgrade the firmware via a CD that you burn the firmware file to.

If your player is operational, If it were me, I would perform another firmware upgrade via usb or CD. You can not go backwords with firmware, however, you can flash the same or newer version.

Flash the firmware again.. Once complete and the player reboots turn it off and back on again. Then reset it to factory defaults via the gui, not the stop button.

I own the same device. I did not have any problem with a firmware update on this device but I have had problems in the past on different devices.

Good luck. I believe this will solve your issue.

Collapse -
Correct.. via the STOP button not On button on BD C5500
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 8, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

river327,

If you post your most recent transaction number from your last call to the Samsung customer service center (or call back and get one), I'll be happy to escalate this to see if there's something that can be done with a manager's review.

I've asked twice for that number to try to help. You noted that I haven't helped in your most recent post, but I don't have any way of researching your file or sending an appeal to a manager on your behalf.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks Barryware and HD_Tech but no internet@TV
by river327 / May 16, 2011 3:13 PM PDT

I have tried barryware's suggestion to burn a CD with the new firmware and flash the firmware via a CD. That did not prove to solve the problem. Last night I downloaded the new firmware version. Very careful not to interupt or change anything until the unit downloaded, installed and restarted. Still when selecting internet@TV I get a skip to the same menu screen and when I select internet@TV again the TV goes to a black screen with a small window in the lower left hand of the screen that says downloading. No one seems to be able to say what the player might be looking for or why. The BDC5500 seems to be asking for something no one can provide. Almost human... I will call the help center again and write down the transaction number.

Here I thank the Samsung HD_Tech and barryware for tring to help out. I think the solution will be to retire this BDC5500 to being a CD player only and looking for a more reliable machine in Consumer Reports. Perphaps after the transaction number is provided there will be more options.

In hope and good intent- river327

Collapse -
Same issue here
by hippie75 / June 11, 2011 7:16 AM PDT

River....im having the same exact issue with mine. Very frustrating and nothing works. Samsung support said it my ISP.... Isp folks said no way. Have you remedied your issue by chance?

Collapse -
Same issue as well
by drh1000 / September 9, 2013 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Same issue here

I just thought I'd chime in. I'm having the exact same issue. I've tried all the recommended solutions with the same results.

Collapse -
Re: Same issue as well
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 11, 2013 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue as well

Hi drh1000,

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I see on samsung.com that there is a newer firmware released in 2013. I am providing a link to the support page for your blu-ray player. Hope this is helpful.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-C5500/XAA

Regards,

HD Tech

Collapse -
Also have this issue
by DiemPraeclarum / June 20, 2011 6:53 AM PDT

Thanks for posting river327.

I'm having this same exact issue. I own a BD-C6500, and after the recent update, I've been unable to get past the download screen on my Internet@TV app. I've tried talking to 1800 cust support and have not been getting anywhere. Tried resetting it through the stop button method, and by unplugging the power source, no good. "Network Status" says I am connected to the internet.

For any of the Samsung reps here, my transactions #: 2013641933

Please send this along. If I have to send the unit in for repair or something, I'd like to get on that ASAP!

Collapse -
Also have this issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Also have this issue

DiemPraeclarum,

Collapse -
Reply to HDTECH
by DiemPraeclarum / June 21, 2011 11:28 AM PDT

HDTech,

Thanks for getting on this issue and sending my transaction # to someone who can help. If you need further information, please feel free to email me or message me through this forum.

Collapse -
Have similar issue
by hippie75 / June 21, 2011 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to HDTECH

DiemPraeclarum or Samsung Online Ambassador,

I seem to have the same exact problem as DiemPraeclarum. Maybe I'm too new of a user and should figure this out, but how do I get a tranaction #.

Thanks,

Collapse -
Re: Hippie75
by DiemPraeclarum / June 21, 2011 2:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Have similar issue

Hippie75,

Collapse -
And that number...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Hippie75

... is 800-SAMSUNG.

Collapse -
More info...
by hippie75 / June 21, 2011 4:46 PM PDT
In reply to: And that number...

Thanks for the replies! I have tried resetting the box numerous times. I spemt an hour on the phone a week or so ago with Samsung support and nothing they did worked. Then they put me on hold and some person came on the phone and said it was a problem with my ISP and my firewall settings. I have tried playing with that and that didnt work. I am really lost here....just glad that others are having similar issues.....proving that I am not crazy after all! I will call again this weekend and try to work it with a samsung rep (again) and will get a transaction number. Thanks!

Collapse -
Country of purchase was USA.
by hippie75 / June 21, 2011 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: More info...

Collapse -
No reponse from Samsung
by DiemPraeclarum / June 28, 2011 1:19 PM PDT

HD Tech,

I have not received any notification from Samsung about my case, either by phone or email. I have mailed our unit off to Samsung to get it repaired, perhaps that is why I didn't receive any response by email. My mother has also been trying to troubleshoot, so perhaps they contacted her first.

Anyways, just thought I'd let you know that there was no response from Samsung to my email address. Thanks for bringing the case to their attention. In the end, we had to ship the unit.

Hope everyone else can resolve this issue.

Collapse -
No reponse from Samsung
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 29, 2011 5:37 AM PDT

DiemPraeclarum,

Collapse -
Problem solved - bought an LG
by river327 / July 7, 2011 3:02 PM PDT

Thanks for all the posts. In the end I could not see the value of sending my unit in for a $50 charge when that pays a third to a half of a new unit. The samsung has been shelved to wait for the next disc player to fail in the kid's room. The new LG unit works great.

On an other note I also bought a Samsung mircowave for over the stove installation last November. This unit is also experiencing poor operation. There is some thing loose somewhere that is causing the unit to turn itself on is such a way that the interior light and fan come on. It is then inoperable in any other way. I have to pull the plug or hold the start button down for 15 seconds, sometimes it then reboots and is ok. Other times it remains non functional.

In my book Samsung is not a brand that I can trust any longer. The quality control and customer service is just not where it should be. I would not buy their electronics without a third party repair contract. And really, should you have to expect your new purchase to fail on you with in the first year? This has happened twice to me in the last year.

I wish you all luck with your repairs and hope that someone will post with a solution to the Internet@TV. Incidentially, I did wait for a new version of the firmware to post, downloaded, and intalled fine, but no change in the behavior of the player. Best-327river

Collapse -
Problem solved - bought an LG
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 10, 2011 11:21 PM PDT

river327,

Collapse -
Same problem
by bd3up / June 22, 2011 5:50 PM PDT

I am having the same problem with mine, hope this is resolved quickly on Samsung's end.

Collapse -
If it is, you still need to call it in, get the transaction
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2011 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

Always get the call in, that number and the usual resets.

Collapse -
same problem hopefully resolved.
by wayne0830 / June 24, 2011 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I had the same problem and this is what worked for me. Do a reset with stop button. Follow screen to set system settings such as English, network, ratio, etc. Then I had to turn off and on for network setting to update with router. Now enter internet@tv to start and reload apps. when thru immediately go back to main page and settings, support, software upgrade> turn off auto upgrade notification. I have not had internet@tv request another update. I will check periodically at samsung.com for any updates.(you may turn off auto upgrade notification before you start and reload apps)

Hope this helps everyone here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

Collapse -
same problem review
by wayne0830 / June 25, 2011 12:27 AM PDT

After further review of your problem it appears your not able to start and download APPs at all.
My problem was I was able to download APPs but in a few seconds to a couple of minutes internet@tv want to update. I would get a black screen and be stuck at installing.

Collapse -
similar issue resolved
by wbbouldin / June 26, 2011 10:18 AM PDT

I had a similar problem in that the discs worked fine but connecting to Internet@TV caused a downloading/installing cycle that never ended. Following what wayne0830 did I:
1. Pressed Stop for 5 seconds w/o a disc in the player to reset it.
2. Setup the player including the network settings
3. Turned off the unit (didn't unplug it)
4. Turned on the unit
5. Selected Internet@TV and successfully downloaded, installed, and started

Hope this works for you too.

Collapse -
No improvement
by bd3up / June 26, 2011 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: similar issue resolved

Thanks for the replies.

Collapse -
Update on my status
by hippie75 / June 28, 2011 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No improvement

I spent a frustrating 45 minutes on the phone with 1800SAMSUNG last night and got nowhere. See my entry above for my exact issue, which it sounds like others are having as well. I did get a transaction ID from the support rep, and here it is: 2013686552. Any help would be great! Thanks, all!

Collapse -
same problem
by aghribi / July 2, 2011 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Update on my status

I have the same problem with the same device. I tryed reset, re-install firmware, remove rooter and nothing worked. Is there a way to downgrade to the old firmware. May be that can solve the problem while waiting for a more stable firmware.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.