Samsung forum

General discussion

BD-C5500 firmware update breaks Netflix aspect ratio

by deenorris / November 4, 2010 8:19 PM PDT

Has anyone else had this issue...yet?

Basically, All Netflix streaming TV shows and older movies that are delivered in 4:3 all are forced to 16:9 since updating to 1018 this past week.

Other data (since I know someone will ask):

The player is currently set to 16:9 Normal.
The player has been reset to default settings.
The player is in the United States.
The Netflix movies play in the correct aspect ratio on my PC.
The same movies played correctly before the firmware upgrade.
All DVDs play correctly regardless of the aspect ratio.

As an aside, I opened at ticket on this with Samsung but they keep getting closed somehow before getting to level 3 support. I have lost all faith in Samsung customer support after this experience.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BD-C5500 firmware update breaks Netflix aspect ratio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BD-C5500 firmware update breaks Netflix aspect ratio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The word from Netflix is...
by deenorris / November 5, 2010 12:41 AM PDT

... that Netflix clearly considers this issue to be created by Samsung's firmware and that their widget is working correctly.

Also, despite even more profuse assurances from Samsung that third level support would contact me, I still have heard nothing from anyone with a clue.

Collapse -
Had same problem
by doofus88 / November 5, 2010 7:51 AM PDT

Mine did the same thing right after the update but the next day it resolved its self.
Do not know how.

Collapse -
The word from Netflix is...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 5, 2010 8:58 AM PDT

deenorris and all,

First of all, I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I've been waiting for some responses and to see what I can verify. While the finger has been pointed at us, I don't react or defend until I can confirm things. Sometimes that takes time. Netflix and Samsung are partners in this, so resolving it is my first goal.

In the meantime, I do apologize for the inconvenience, regardless of fault.

I've alerted beyond 3rd level, and will be looking more into this.

Can you list some of the titles that you knew played before in 4:3 that are now stretched without the ability to adjust?

Since it was mentioned that an update was performed, it may have set some of the settings back to a default setting, such as resolution or aspect ratio. Also, answering these questions may help resolve or at least give me some direction on this issue. If you'd like, any answers you could provide would greatly help me identify what's going on:

Model Number of your player:
Which F/W version is the player running?
Was a player reset performed after recent firmware upgrade?
What Aspect Ratio is the player set to?
What Aspect Ratio is the TV set to?
What is the Internet@TV size set to?
When is the image ?stretched out?? During Internet@TV home menu, Netflix launching screen, or when streaming a movie title only?

And if you changed settings while looking for these answers, did that help? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I went through this with Samsung tech support
by deenorris / November 5, 2010 2:57 PM PDT

Here are my ticket numbers: 2012418116 & 2012406438

You should be able to get all the details from there and if not, perhaps someday someone will actually contact me from 3rd level.

Collapse -
I was wrong
by doofus88 / November 6, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

Last night I decided to test it and streamed "Married with Children" 1st episode and it was full screen and stretched. checked BDs settings and all were correct. Was not my TVs fault. Fooled with BDs settings and it made no difference.
I have a BD-C5500 with update 1018
Weird because the day before I streamed "The day the Earth stood still" 1950's version and it was the correct aspic ratio.

Collapse -
to early not enough coffee
by doofus88 / November 6, 2010 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I was wrong

"aspect ratio" not aspic ratio Silly

Collapse -
My player information
by kdraines / November 14, 2010 2:38 AM PST

-Yes

-4:3 Letterbox

-N/A. I have a 4:3 television does not have aspect ratio settings.

-I do not understand the question.

When is the image ?stretched out?? During Internet@TV home menu, Netflix launching screen, or when streaming a movie title only?
-My image is compressed when viewing any movie wider than 4:3 on Netflix. The only time Netflix is letterboxed is when it is launching.

And if you changed settings while looking for these answers, did that help? If so, which one?
-No. I tried every aspect ratio setting on the Blu-Ray player and it had no effect on Netflix.

Collapse -
Anything new?
by kdraines / January 12, 2011 5:40 AM PST

Do you have any new information? Or any information of any kind at all?

Collapse -
Still no word from Samsung
by deenorris / November 10, 2010 4:56 PM PST

I still have not gotten a reply from Samsung on this issue regardless of the profuse promises.

Netflix is squarely placing the blame on 1018 firmware upgrade.

Collapse -
BD-C5500 firmware upgraded to 1019 but Netflix is ...
by deenorris / November 11, 2010 9:01 PM PST

... still forced into 16:9 aspect ratio for all 4:3 downloads.

Samsumg still refuses to admit that any problem exists!

Netflix continues to fix responsibility on Samsung.

Collapse -
Same issue
by jonesrm555 / November 12, 2010 2:30 PM PST

I'm having the same issue. I was enjoying my new blu-ray for one evening after buying it, but the next day the software update (1019) took place, and now:

1) All 4:3 content is stretched

2) Missing the "quality" meter when the show begins buffering - only the buffering meter is shown.

This is a deal breaker for me. If it doesn't get fixed, it's going back to Costco for a different brand.

Collapse -
All different brands have the same problem
by imsscott / June 27, 2011 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

The only ones that are correct are WII and Iphone

Collapse -
Glad to see it's not just me.
by kdraines / November 11, 2010 3:24 PM PST

Although it sucks that we can't even get an informed answer. Even the reply from the Samsung rep is just asking for information without providing any.

I have a 4:3 television and all of the wider aspect ratio movies and television shows are compressed instead of stretched. I was on the phone with a Samsung rep for an hour going through his step by step manual and basically knowing even less than I do.

Very frustrating. Samsung's blaming Netflix, Netflix is blaming Samsung. But at least the Netflix rep was knowledgeable and could provide info that wasn't written in a script.

Collapse -
Samsung 1018 firmware breaks Netflix aspect ratio
by mickeybull / November 12, 2010 1:09 AM PST

I should have answered Samsung_HD_Tech's questions:

Model Number of your player:
BD-C6500

Yes

16x9 normal

16x9 (it's a Panasonic AE4000 projector)

ONLY when streaming a movie title. Changing the aspect ratio of the player has no effect.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2010 7:50 PM PST

mickeybull,

Noted and recorded. Thank you.

I'm trying to establish that people have the correct settings, consistent firmware builds, similar players and are still having the issue.

Thanks for also noting the titles in your other post. Are titles like "Shoot the Piano Player" SD (non-HD) files, or DVD discs? Can you give an example of the native aspect ratio for, say that Piano Player title that gets stretched to 16x9?

For everyone else, I don't have access to service ticket numbers until Monday, and they only provide a summary, not the details I'm going to try to escalate. You don't have to participate and answer, but it would help me compile information to move this issue forward.

--HDTech

Collapse -
As I said originally...
by deenorris / November 12, 2010 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

...it is every Netflix title that is in 4:3 aspect ratio. I am now running 1019 on a BD-C5500.

Collapse -
Also having the issue
by neil0311 / November 12, 2010 10:58 PM PST

Same issue. Firmware 1019.0 on BD-C6500.

Model Number of your player: BD-C6500

Which F/W version is the player running? BSP-C6500WWB-1019.0

Was a player reset performed after recent firmware upgrade? Yes

What Aspect Ratio is the player set to? 16:9 Normal

What Aspect Ratio is the TV set to? Samsung HL-T6187S set to "Just Scan" (also tried 16:9)

What is the Internet@TV size set to? Where is a setting for this?

When is the image ?stretched out?? During Internet@TV home menu, Netflix launching screen, or when streaming a movie title only? Only during Netflix streaming. BD playing is fine. Vudu streaming is fine. Etc.

Collapse -
Aspect ratio problems
by mickeybull / November 13, 2010 6:30 AM PST

My other post does indicate the original aspect ratios of the movies listed; they are all SD, Netflix streaming, non-16x9 titles, either 2.35:1 or 1.33:1.

Netflix HD streaming titles are playing correctly regardless of their original aspect ratios, as are DVDs and Blu-Rays.

The problem occurs only with Netflix SD streaming, non-16x9 titles.

I have since upgraded to version 1019 firmware with no luck.

Collapse -
I am just wonding where the HDTech is hiding?
by deenorris / November 16, 2010 5:20 PM PST
In reply to: Aspect ratio problems

Funny that this thread is being ignored, huh?

Collapse -
I am just wonding where the HDTech is hiding?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 18, 2010 7:46 AM PST

deenorris,

Nobody is ignoring this thread.

On the contrary, I asked for information so that we could investigate further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Lets see...
by deenorris / November 18, 2010 2:45 PM PST

The thread was started on Nov 5 and today is Nov 19. That's two weeks now.

Multiple people have provided details and even ticket numbers, but we have not heard even an acknowledgment that an issue exists from Samsung.

Surely by now, Samsung could have at least verified that the problem exists and given some direction on when it will be fixed.

Yes, I feel ignored by Samsung, both here and by their technical fustration, er, support system.

Collapse -
Typical Samsung BS
by audiomagnate / November 18, 2010 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: Lets see...

Quote:

"deenorris,
Nobody is ignoring this thread.
On the contrary, I asked for information so that we could investigate further.
--HDTech"

HDTech, are you even in a place (US) where you can verify the problem? If not, then why even bother wasting our time here? Do you have access to to a BD-C5500 or 6500? Do you have access to Netflix streaming? It takes about three minutes to verify the problem:

1. Turn on HDTV and BD player.
2. Make sure BD Player and HDTV are set to 16:9 aspect ratio.
3. Load Netflix from on screen menu.
4. Search for an old Black and White movie like "Shock" 1946 version.
5. Play movie and observe that it is stretched.

Congratulations! You have just verified the problem. HDTech, your posts on this thread do nothing but reinforce my horrible opinion of Samsung's incredibly lame "Customer Service" department. If you can't contribute you should just stay away. Your question indicate that you haven't even read the posts ahead of yours in the thread.The very first post answers almost all of your questions:

Quote from FIRST post.
==============================================================
The player is currently set to 16:9 Normal.
The player has been reset to default settings.
The player is in the United States.
The Netflix movies play in the correct aspect ratio on my PC.
The same movies played correctly before the firmware upgrade.
All DVDs play correctly regardless of the aspect ratio.
===============================================================

That's ALL you need to know. Please tell us when you have a solution or quit wasting our time with meaningless questions.

Collapse -
Just 7 more days ....
by deenorris / November 18, 2010 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: Typical Samsung BS

... for some real answers before I file a BBB complaint. I will post the complaint number and contact info for anyone who wants to share their experience.

Collapse -
I still think we are being ignored and here is why...
by deenorris / November 20, 2010 8:33 PM PST

The fact that a Samsung upgrade broke the player with a firmware upgrade opens them to warranty legal claims.

When I bought the player, I was issued a warranty that it was free from defects for a specific period of time but what is Samsung's liability if they introduce a defect post-purchase with a firmware upgrade? This is still an open legal issue and unlink a jail-broken phone, the consumer too no actions to violate the software license or the hardware warranty.

Samsung will never admit that there is a problem in the firmware until they have it fixed already if they admit it at all.

This is why HDTech is hiding. He has been told not to discuss it further than 'fact gathering' to try to placate the masses. Since this aspect ration is an easy to recreate problem, we all know that Samsung is hiding from us on this issue.

Collapse -
Is this the X-files or a blu-ray player?
by neil0311 / November 21, 2010 1:03 AM PST

Stop with the conspiracy and legal nonsense. There is no nefarious plot to rob you of your Netflix watching pleasure.

They said they're working on it, so give them time. I work for a tech company as well (not Samsung) and this stuff doesn't get fixed overnight, but that doesn't mean it's being ignored. I would assume that HDTech is not making promises because if he did, then all you folks would be jumping down his throat if things didn't happen exactly as promised.

After many years of dealing with hardware, software, and firmware, it never ceases to amaze me how many times people love to ascribe devious and nefarious motives to the manufacturer of the hardware or publisher of the software, when in reality, things are being worked on and they just don't have any timeframe or hard info to share.

Collapse -
One. Samsung refuses to acknowledge the issue exists.
by deenorris / November 21, 2010 4:23 AM PST

Two.. If I could watch the X-files in correct aspect ratio, I wouldn't have to post here.

Collapse -
Grrrr... Posted too soon accidentally...
by deenorris / November 21, 2010 4:29 AM PST

Three... All Samsung has to do is acknowledge this issue exists and I would be happy, but as I said in ONE, they have not.

Four... There are legal reasons for denying an issue exists and Samsumg regularly plays the 'It is NOT our fault' game. Read the thread on LCD screen breaking because of thermal expansion for example of this policy.

Collapse -
Firmware bug
by deesigner2 / November 22, 2010 3:05 AM PST

I am also a tech head, and agree that it often and unfortunately does take time to identify, duplicate and then resolve a firmware or hardware bug. But the situation is that many of you already specifically identified the aspect problem and Samsung is able to duplicate it. So the really annoying part is that they are not taking ownership of it, nor are they updating any of us as to: they are working on it. they are interfacing with Netflix. Just a little info and honesty goes a long way with customers, I have often found.
Action item for Samsung: give us the prior FW ver that allows this aspect ratio to be correct so we can enjoy our holiday keeping our families happy with a service that we pay for but cannot use.

Collapse -
I couldn't agree more.
by mickeybull / November 22, 2010 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware bug

I have a Samsung LCD TV(LN55B650) that allows the user to revert to the previous FW version in case of a problem, but the Blu-Ray players don't seem to have that option.

I used to run a computer help desk and if a problem ticket escalated to the equivalent of Samsung's Level 3 there'd be hell to pay if we didn't find a fix by the next day, at times working all night. If we still couldn't fix it, we would at least keep the users informed so they wouldn't feel ignored and angry.

From experience, this doesn't sound like a major programming task. If the ARs are correct with HD titles, then they should be correct with SD ones, as they used to be. You know: IF -- THEN -- ELSE? Someone just didn't test properly, or worse, didn't know or care what to test for.

Collapse -
Samsung has done nothing
by deenorris / November 22, 2010 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware bug

It was Netflix that disclosed they were interfacing with Samsung over it.

Nor has Samsung said they have duplicated the issue.

Samsung is a blackhole - Structured data goes in and random noise comes out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.