Windows Vista

Resolved Question

BBB Virus on husband's Vista computer

by BamaCXO / June 13, 2013 2:09 PM PDT

Does anyone know how I can remove the BBB virus from my hubby's computer. He clicked on an .zip file in a bogus e-mail and his computer is showing "full memory" error constantly, plus the systempropertiescomputername.exe file opens every time on startup. It was shows as being removed by AVG in the most recent log, but the computer is still acting as if the virus is active.

Any help appreciated.

BamaCXO has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BBB Virus on husband's Vista computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BBB Virus on husband's Vista computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by BamaCXO

Collapse -
Try Grif's advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2013 2:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
What is this "acting"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2013 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Grif's advice.

One member revealed more and I was able to offer the old NETSH RESET repair, but without knowing what this acting is, I can't offer such ideas.

Either the pest is gone or it is not. If all the scans say it's gone, it is likely gone. BUT a lot of folk forget that removing the pest does not repair the damage. That's why we need more about the symptoms or just give up and reinstall.
Bob

Collapse -
The acting...
by BamaCXO / June 15, 2013 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: What is this "acting"?

The "acting" is just what I described above in my initial post... upon startup I am getting the executable option box systempropertiescomputername.exe popping up and asking if I want to change the computer name. I cancel that. Then with only one or two (at most) windows open doing tasks (i.e. Word and/or Mail) I am getting "memory full" errors. I also have had issues with Windows Live Mail, the e-mail client he has been using, in that it was constantly re-loading thousands of previously loaded emails into the Unread folder.

Collapse -
And that is a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2013 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: The acting...

Remember that IT IS NOT A VIRUS to put a SCRIPT IN THE STARTUP to do such a change.

No scanner I know of will fix that.

What will?

1. Find and remove that item.
2. Reload the OS.

If you want to try item 1 my first look would be with HIJACKTHIS which is a scapel or power tool. It's safe to run and look at what it shows but one member thought all it listed was bad and they deleted/fixed all it listed. They had to reload the OS.

So http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/ is where it's at and there are NO instructions that I can give you except it's your PC. You can research each item it lists and ask folk if they feel it should stay or go.
Bob

Collapse -
...clues
by BamaCXO / June 17, 2013 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: And that is a clue.

"Remember that IT IS NOT A VIRUS to put a SCRIPT IN THE STARTUP to do such a change."

Thanks, Bob, for your advice. It's hard to "remember" something I didn't know...LOL. But, thanks for the info. Happy

No scanner I know of will fix that. Well, drat!

What will?

1. Find and remove that item. OK... will try this first.
2. Reload the OS. ...ugh, I was afraid someone would say that. Wink

If you want to try item 1 my first look would be with HIJACKTHIS which is a scapel or power tool. It's safe to run and look at what it shows but one member thought all it listed was bad and they deleted/fixed all it listed. They had to reload the OS. YIKES! I do know better than to do that!

So http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/ is where it's at and there are NO instructions that I can give you except it's your PC. (...actually hubby's) You can research each item it lists and ask folk if they feel it should stay or go. OK...thanks!

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Wipe and reinstall
by 3rdalbum / June 14, 2013 1:38 PM PDT

Within the last few years there has been a trend toward malware that downloads other malware.

AVG may have removed one piece of malware, but there might be more malware that AVG can't detect or remove. This is because there is more malware being written each day, than are added to anti-virus and anti-malware programs.

You could try scanning your disk with lots of different anti-malware programs, but you'll still never be sure of getting rid of all of them. The only real solution is to back up your important data, erase your hard disk, reinstall Windows and be more careful next time!

Alternatively, instead of installing Windows, install an operating system like Ubuntu that is a bit more secure and doesn't catch viruses in the first place. Ubuntu is different to Windows in a few different ways, and doesn't run Windows programs, but there's lots of Ubuntu-native software and it's a very easy system to install and use. If you're willing to learn things a little differently you'll love Ubuntu.

Collapse -
Thanks for suggestions...
by BamaCXO / June 15, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Wipe and reinstall

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. So far, I have tried ComboFix, MalwareBytes, and HitmanPro. All to no avail. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling AVG. Nothing... still behaving the same way. I am pretty much out of ideas and think he may just have to use it that way. It seems to have particularly affected the e-mail client (Windows Live Mail), and it constantly wants to load old e-mails into the "Unread" folder at startup...every time... thousands of emails. I thought about uninstalling Windows Live Mail, and I actually went so far as to export all the e-mail to storage folders on an external hard drive. But they are in Win Live Mail format, and Microsoft no longer offers a download of Windows Live Mail for Vista computers. He insists he needs the old emails. So, I feel like we are just stuck with it. May just have to get him a cheap new computer at some point. I cannot even imagine how many times I have told him NEVER to click on an email attachment. He insists it was an accident. :-/

Ubuntu... may have to look into that. I have heard of it but don't know anything about it. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.