Laptops forum

Battery replacement

by whitewineandsoda / November 24, 2012 8:03 PM PST

Hi all, first post and I am not computer literate at all.
The battery icon on my Acer Aspire 5532 is showing 'consider replacing your battery' it's plugged in and fully charged at the moment. If I take the charge lead out, I get 10mins max before it shuts down because the battery has run out. I think I have made the mistake of keeping it on charge all the time.
Anyway, if I get a new battery, how do I know which one to get, and how do I replace it? Will I lose anything on my laptop? I haven't a clue so would appreciate any advice, TIA, WWAS.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: battery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: Battery replacement

The best (but also the most expensive) is an original Acer battery. However, you'll find many shops (especially online) that offer third-party batteries that are supposed to be compatible. Be sure you can return (and get your money back) it if it isn't.

Replacing is simple: take out the old one and put the new one in. Usually, you don't even need a screwdriver. See your user manual for details. And you won't lose anything.

By the way, having the laptop on mains power as much as possible, is the recommended procedure to give the battery the longest life.

Collapse -
Battery Replacement
by whitewineandsoda / November 24, 2012 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: Re: battery

Thanks for the reply, how do I make sure I get the correct battery? Would I get the number off the battery in now? TIA, WWAS

Collapse -
Re: battery replacemen
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Battery Replacement

Usually (but it might depend on the shop) knowing the make and model of the laptop suffices. Just have a look at the sites your favorite hardware or laptop (accessories, batteries) shops or at the Acer site.

Collapse -
correct battery replacement
by Spanuis / January 8, 2013 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Battery Replacement

after taking the old one out. look for any stickers that might have model #'s on it. usually with letters numbers combo. My Acer One is UM08B32. if that helps any...

Collapse -
A choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 9:59 AM PST
Collapse -
go to figure out
by ianmagic2 / November 27, 2012 5:40 PM PST

you can go to ask the seller and tell them your laptop model number and your original battery part number, then they will give you the right one

Collapse -
Third party and continuously charging.
by Eric-JanHteA / January 6, 2013 10:50 AM PST

Third party turned out the better choice for me. But that is not a guarantee.

As of the charging question I came across an elaborate article discussing various battery types and
charging conditions. For lithium-ion batteries maximum life was reached at a 40% charge and storing
them cool (not frozen). So when foreseeable you do not need the battery you best could take it out at
40% charged. But then again you are not benefiting the built-in UPS that a battery is too in case of a
power-outage or someone tripping over the power-cord. What a dilemma ;and 2013 has just begun. Grin

Average lifespan of a Li-ion is 2 to 3 years. Any time longer is a real bonus and always will come with
a reduced remaining capacity. And speaking of capacity: replacement batteries sometimes come with
different initial capacity. So when running on battery is not your main concern go for a cheaper one
even if it means less capacity.

With Kind Regard,
The Netherlands

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.