Dell forum

General discussion

battery: plugged in, not charging

by topoftheriver / February 13, 2011 11:15 AM PST

Dell 1720, 3 gb mem, 250 hd, vista home prem 32 bit. I just performed a clean install of win 7 ultimate. It may seem a coincidence but I notice and x next to the battery icon. It reads plugged in, not charging. Checked diagnostics, researched a great deal on internet. Unplugged computer, shut down, restarted, plugged in, out, in , out, etc. Problem not solved. Don't know if it is the bios, motherboard, electrical connection inside the computer or problem with windows 7 ultimate controling the power scheme.

My research has revealed many dell users with the same problem. Dell wants you to send it back for an expensive repair. It has to be simpler than that. Dell usually isn't any help. They would have you throw the computer away and buy a new one. Anyway, if you have answers or suggestions I would be gratified. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: battery: plugged in, not charging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: battery: plugged in, not charging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clean install so what about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 12:00 PM PST

BIOS and all those drivers? I'm finding many forget that and try to avoid the same old driver hunts.

Collapse -
driver
by topoftheriver / February 14, 2011 7:43 AM PST

I hear you with regards to the drivers. With Dell and vista, dell recommends using the vista drivers. I had already replace all of them with a back up. I keep a driver file of all my drivers and what I used before the clean install, and replaced the drivers after I updated all of windows 7.

Incidently, windows 7 tries to install drivers, which I let it do. Then I test them against the old ones to see which one works better. I installed the power management driver for vista which dell recommended. Battery is still doing the same thing; plugged in, not charging. Dell knows it and so does microsoft. Still waiting for a solution I can share with everyone.

Collapse -
No blinking led?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2011 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: driver
Collapse -
OS and battery
by Willy / February 15, 2011 2:35 AM PST

Quite often at 18mo. or better the battery develops issues. Not to discount any true battery recalls, but it seems it worked for some time. I would try to get your hands on a good battery if not new for your model. Next. since you've installed a new OS then Dell can easily ease out of the issue as that's not their problem, you've introduced one. regardless, as already stated by you and others trying the latest drivers, etc, didn't help, thus it boils down to the OS. retry loading the shipped OS and see if things settle down. Plus, query to see if Dell sells the OS upgrade for that laptop model# rather than some outside source. Though you can recovery/restore disc sources and see if any were ever offered officially or if they can supply one. Laptops settle into a specific use and they don't necessarily work out help once out of that realm.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
battery plugged in not charging fix
by Emilio97531 / April 22, 2012 2:29 PM PDT

i fixed mine (phew) after months of no solutions on google

My vid explains how to fix this problem

/watch?v=UfaehbWuUt0&context=C475a069ADvjVQa1PpcFMmXUFK9FwHZO0TSIwTPMc_sztZI1yuORc=

worked on dell inspiron 1545

Collapse -
Plugged in but not charging, battery 0.0% -- SOLUTION
by nissimnanach / September 17, 2013 8:14 AM PDT

DELL (my computer: Vostro A860)
Plugged in but not charging, battery 0.0% -- SOLUTION

I tried all other solutions but only this worked.

1. UNPLUG the charger from the wall.

2. PLUG IN the CHARGER to the COMPUTER while the charger is still unplugged from the wall.
The purpose is to drain the charger (the green light on it should already be off).
Press the power button on the computer for extra assurance you've drained the charger.

3. PLUG IN the CHARGER to the WALL. The battery should immediately start charging.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.