Laptops forum

General discussion

Battery not recognized - Inspiron 1501

by roncraven / October 24, 2007 2:49 AM PDT

Back in the summer I bought an inspiron 1501 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53 for my daughter.
It runs on Windows Vista Home Basic. 1 gb ram, 120gb hdd.

Yesterday when she booted up the laptop she got a message "Battery not recognized"

Anybody have any ideas of how to fix this before I spend 12 hours on the phone with Dell.

If it helps, the laptop also intermittently crashes with the screen going black with just a square grey box in one corner.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery not recognized - Inspiron 1501
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery not recognized - Inspiron 1501
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This might sound stupid but
by PudgyOne / October 24, 2007 5:43 AM PDT

do you have the latest version of Dell's Quickset program. This program just recognized my laptop battery is getting near the end of it's life cycle.

I think it might be this program that is not recognizing your battery.

Go here and download and install any programs and drivers you need.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx

Since the computer is fairly new, then make it a warranty issue.

Rick

Collapse -
DELL BATTERY ISSUE
by sirensea / April 10, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

There is supposed to be a BIO fix for this. Not sure if it will work, as I already did this -- or tried to while the DELL was still under warranty.

How this error occurs is when your battery runs down - if like mine, thinking it was hooked to power but the cord was out!

Make sure you BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM first!! Also, the machine will work regardless of this error - just hit space bar and go on, as you will find that the battery does still charge. Also, you could take out the battery and use it with just POWER .

PLEASE NOTE -- a reason NOT TO BUY DELL!
1. NO system support after warranty period
2. Proprietory POWER ADAPTER and BATTERY!!! And way over priced!!

I, for one, will not buy another DELL laptop or desktop NOR will I recommend them to anyone!! I buy equipment for people all the time!!

DELLS have become CRAP MACHINES!!!
NOT WITHSTANDING, for U.S. customers, it is OUTSOURCED substandard, hard to understand system support!!

Know too many people whose HDs crapped out, problems like this with batteries and power adapters going bad after so many uses ( seems to be pre destined ), etc

CNET should NOT be recommending this company and should be alerting the public to their issues.

There is also another known issue concerning being SHOCKED while using your dell laptops too due to power adapters!

Collapse -
INSPIRON 1501 battery issue
by sirensea / April 10, 2009 12:15 AM PDT

Do you believe that BIO FIX is recent ( 2008/2009 ) to fix a problem that has been going on "forever".

What does that tell you about the company! And dont forget -- if the FIX craps out, you are screwed cause the company has no FREE SUPPORT!!!

Something to think about before buying a DELL!! If Dell doesnt soon address these issues, they will have NO company!! Probably why they are selling them in Walmarts and Sams and other retail locations!

Collapse -
About free support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2009 12:24 AM PDT

We do have our Dell forum here. It's free.

Collapse -
e1505 not switching to battery supply automatically
by california_cara / July 24, 2009 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: About free support.

i have a similar problem. i have an inspiron e1505 laptop i bought 3 years ago. i am taking the bar exam in a few days and so was making sure my computer was all up to snuff. a friend did a system restore (i think...he completely cleaned and reset the thing) and i got a replacement battery (because mine was only holding a charge for about 30 minutes) that i put in after the system restore.

now the battery-charging light only comes on for about 2 minutes when i first turn on the computer. when i unplug the power adapter, the computer immediately dies, as though it has no backup battery option.

in "my computer" it shows that the battery is charging (even though the battery-charging light isn't lit up) and is 87% charged. but it doesn't switch to using the battery when i pull the power cord.

oh and my power adapter isn't the original one - i inherited it from a friend when my original one broke.

i'm running windows xp.

thanks!! any help is hugely appreciated - and sorry in advance if i dind't include all the information. computers aren't exactly my forte - but i can tell you all about california law!

-cara

Collapse -
Go back to the 30 minute battery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2009 1:42 AM PDT

Let's hope no one upgraded your BIOS and if it's like the usual story the replacement battery was not from Dell.

You'll love the reasons. As battery fires and more became a problem the manufacturers are locking out batteries that are not approved.
Bob

Collapse -
dell vostro 1000,tag#4FJT5F1
by neville waterton / September 5, 2009 3:13 AM PDT

CHANGED FROM XP TO VISTA LOADING IS VERY SLOW,PC DON'T RECOGNISE BATTERY AND BATTERY POWER LASTS FOR FIVE MINUTES

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

I think that's right. What you want is Dell to tell you every driver and what order to install them after you install Vista.

Here's an example of 10 drivers after a XP install -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=271360#2699006

Now get Dell to give you those instructions and a list of drivers to install.

Either that or go back to what worked.
Bob

Collapse -
battery not recognized
by netptw / December 25, 2009 8:06 PM PST

there is a update to the bios. I had the same problem. i saw the link on here somewhere. after i downloaded the update, the error messages disappeared. Good luck

Collapse -
battery not recognized when rebooting
by moreyummy / January 24, 2010 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: battery not recognized

Where do you get the file to fix this message error?

My battery is running fine when not charging, and fine when using battery only.
It just came up one day, saying it is not recognized, and need to hit a key to continue.

Collapse -
Every since
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2010 7:43 AM PST

The makers had to lock down on non maker batteries this is happening more and more. If the top of the forum post doesn't cure it, this is expensive to fix.
Bob

Collapse -
new bios should not work
by moreyummy / January 24, 2010 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Every since

It seems someone can fix it by updating the bios, but my bios is updated long time ago when it first come out, so maybe it is something other issue.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2010 8:39 AM PST

Sometimes the bios fixes it. Other times it's the battery, the motherboard or the connection between the two. Here's the problem. If the BIOS didn't fix it, it usually costs too much as the fix is the motherboard and battery is replaced.

The really hard part is how to tell the owner this.

Collapse -
why this title is a requirement, we all know the subject!!
by moreyummy / January 24, 2010 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: You're right.

Ignore the subject, it is to the forum rules or software.

Yea, I found out that since it is sometime pass warranty, the heat issue probably make the motherboard go down sooner than without heat.

I have another issue which is related onboard graphic chip after many research. Coincidently someone in this thread report the same issue on 1501 too.

So something else related to battery, (sensor) chip to battery, etc gone bad too.

Collapse -
dell battery not recognised
by bobeightyfive / August 28, 2011 3:44 AM PDT

it seems that if the battery even a good battery is very low/flat the laptop will not recognise it / won't charge it,

i had an inspiron 1501 given with the battery not recognised issue, it came with a hp psu also unrecognised, tried a dell psu, did the bios update several times resoldered the charging socket to the mobo and all the other tricks people suggested pressing this that and the other standing on one leg etc,
the battery was a recent replacement 6400 but acted dead, i figured it may never have been charged due to the hp psu it came with,

i tried manually gently charging the battery with a bench psu @100ma via the battery case terminals and failed to get it to take charge, no green led's when pressing the battery test button,
as a last resort i decided to break it open but only got as far as peeling the sticker off to reveal 6 of the 9 cells,
using a couple of needles to make a connection to the batteries i could see, i measured the voltage at less than 0.5v , hooked up the bench supply and set it to 100ma, it started charging, charged them up to 6v and tried the battery in the laptop, no change,
i moved the positive connection to the positive battery case terminal leaving the negative pinned to the batteries, it started charging the whole pack, took it up to 10.2v then put it back in the laptop, booted straight up with no warnings and started charging the battery, initially showing no bars then 1% with your battery is working normally message,
it continues to boot and charge as it should the battery test button illumates all green,

either the battery needs to have a certain level of charge to be recognised or the batteries internal circuitry/switch is powered from the battery, its not a good idea to allow your battery to run down low with this charging setup.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.