Laptops forum

Battery not detected, HELP

by electroX-73 / March 3, 2012 10:19 PM PST

Hey everyone,
I have a HP Pavilion dv7-1130eg running Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
The problem is that my battery is not detected by the PC. When the problem started, it just said, something like 'CONNECTED, NOT CHARGING' and it was at 0% (sorry if my translations aren't fully correct, I have the Slovak language pack loaded in Vista)
We went to a bunch of electro-shops and service centers and everybody said that the battery is broken. Except at one, they said that MAYBE the computer has something broken so that it can't charge the battery.
Then after a few went changed to 'NO BATTERY DETECTED' and no longer was, 'connected, not charging'.

So what am I supposed to do? HP Battery Check says that there is no battery inside and so does Windows, but PC Wizard 2012 says that there is a battery charged at 255% inside...yeah...255%

I did turn the PC off disconnected it from every thing and took out the battery and held the power button for 30 seconds...nothing!
I did reset the BIOS to defaults...nothing!
I did try to turn on the PC on only battery power...didn't turn on, obviously!
I didn't try to update the BIOS yet.

I hate HP Notebooks...aside from this, it overheats and is extremely laggy (I guess the speed is affected by Vista).

Please help me, thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery not detected, HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery not detected, HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Battery age and circuits
by Willy / March 5, 2012 11:10 AM PST

HP and others have had bad battery history , check at their support website for any recalls. Next, a battery should be dependable for roughly 18mos., anything after that is a gift. If the operation of your laptop was extremely hot, it may have surrcomed to heat damage. HP and others have had poor quality issues with heat involved. Either the charging ckt. is kaput or the battery has been weaken by same. If you can charge the battery elsewhere, do so. Also, note the LED on the charger adapter if it goes out upon connection to the plug-in, bad ckt. or short, very obvious clue. Even with a fully charged battery, the smart ckt. will become false status(not charged) and won't allow operation if the laptop is a type where the battery has to be present, yet be at some 10-15% charged level. Also, cheap batteries or repaired ones can be crap, so don't trust all batteries.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by electroX-73 / March 5, 2012 5:24 PM PST

Thanks Willy for you answer,
I don't have an LED on my charger so I can't check that. And what brand of notebooks is the best in your opinion? Because nothing is gonna make me buy another HP notebook in my life. And my notebook is pretty old, about 3 years so the warranty has ended. I also had problems with the charger before, so I got a new one and didn't have any issues with it.

All Answers

Collapse -
Do other batteries work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 10:43 AM PST

Batteries have a short life. What makes you think this one is any good?

Collapse -
by electroX-73 / March 5, 2012 5:27 PM PST

Because I have another about 5 years old HP notebook and the batteries are working fine and haven't been replaced.

Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2012 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

It's one of the older r3000's. But that has nothing to do with this battery. As you may discover, we see the newer batteries have less cycles than the old ones. I saw the ratings drop from 500 cycles to 300. That works out to barely a year if you use a battery daily.

I also read the LED does not light on the charger. Did you use a Volt meter to check if that brick in outputting power?

Collapse -
by electroX-73 / March 6, 2012 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: Me too.

I meant that my charger doesn't have any LED light, so nothing can light up, only a LED light next to the charger port on my notebook...and that one lights up when I plug in the charger.

Collapse -
That's only a little helpful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2012 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

It means something is getting out of the charger. If the battery was used daily for a year, and it fails then some folk might be upset. I wouldn't like that but it was only a 300 cycle battery.

Collapse -
What to do?
by electroX-73 / March 6, 2012 5:41 PM PST

So what should I do now?
Buy a new battery or go to an HP authorizated sevice?
Are you sure that it's the battery, can't the 'charging system' or how should I call it, be the problem?
I don't really want to go to a HP service because it's around 70km away from my city and they want me to pay for a diagnosis. But if it's needed I will go and pay for the diagnosis.

Collapse -
Let's break it down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2012 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: What to do?

There are just 3 big parts to this system. Motherboard, charger and battery.

Yes there are some connectors but the only one I see fail a lot is the power connector on the motherboard.

YOU want to fix this and here's what a shop will do. They'll use a Volt meter to see if the charger is OK. They usually will try it with another battery and charger and if that worked they'll stop. If that doesn't work they'll estimate worst case to replace all 3 parts.

Back to you. You should see why a service shop can nail it down where most at home can't. I can't go any further without seeing the machine and swapping in the bat and/or charger.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.