HP forum

Resolved Question

Battery not detected by the HP calibration tool

by OzBo / July 23, 2012 9:01 AM PDT

Hi,

The HP calibration / battery check tool won't recognize my battery any more. However, the battery itself is fine.
What could cause this problem?
My laptop is HP Pavilion dv6614tx.

Thanks!

OzBo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery not detected by the HP calibration tool
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery not detected by the HP calibration tool
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by OzBo

Collapse -
The rather famous dv6000 series.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2012 9:06 AM PDT

If you research that series you find a raft of issues.

But about this battery. If it's past its 300 cycles or 18 months (the rated lifespan) then the chances it is the battery is high. But given it's a dv6000 model, I'd seriously consider no investment.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes...
by OzBo / July 23, 2012 9:25 AM PDT

I intend to buy a new laptop relatively soon. This did have quite a few problems, most of which luckily happened under warranty. I wouldn't want to buy a new battery for this laptop because it is approaching the end of its life, but I was surprised the battery is not recognized when it is still working (it doesn't last long, but it never did!). The HP tool says it is "invalid"...

Collapse -
Sorry but I can't find if this battery is an old one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2012 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

If this is the original battery,. then it's way past the expected life span. What seems to confuse most is that to figure this out, we need a good battery.
Bob

Collapse -
I understand...
by OzBo / July 23, 2012 9:53 AM PDT

... what you mean, but I didn't use it much (yes, it is the original battery), only a few times, probably under 30 hours altogether. I don't know if it is really relevant, but I thought it would prolong its life if I keep it out when I don't need it.

Collapse -
Folk seem to think that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2012 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I understand...

While non-use could extend it by some percent there are metals and acids inside that degrade with time. About all one could do is well discussed so I'll be short here. Charge the battery, remove it from the laptop to place in some air tight container with desiccant then place it in the refrigerator to slow the process down.

Does not seem too useful.
Bob

Collapse -
I solved the problem
by OzBo / July 23, 2012 10:10 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice. I will do it if further problems occur.
I have found out what the problem was.... Basically this morning I went to the HP website and checked for drivers and software update (after their software failed to recognize my battery) and it told me everything was up-to-date with their automatic detection tool (that obviously doesn't detect much, although it made me install a plugin in Firefox). I now manually searched for the HP software to check the battery and there is indeed an update. I installed it and it detected the battery. It even said it is OK. Happy

Collapse -
Very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2012 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I solved the problem

Why did it work before?

Collapse -
It was...
by OzBo / July 25, 2012 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Very odd.

... just the software that is supposed to determine the health status of the battery that didn't work, not the battery itself (although I have to say I don't use the laptop with the battery so much).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.