Cameras forum

General discussion

Battery Life on Sony Cybershot?!! --please help

by BeastiesFan / June 18, 2007 1:36 AM PDT

Please help me if you know what is wrong with my camera:

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC P200 (7.2 megapixel). I bought the camera about a year ago, and recently, after about a week of noticing that it was taking longer to turn on and off, it is now completely defunct. The only thing I can think of is that the BATTERY has completely died??, because I haven't dropped it recently. I dropped it a few times last year but it never seemed to be damaged. It uses a Sony InfoLithium rechargeable cell, which is not recharging when I plug it into the wall.
Has anybody else had experience with a dying Sony Cybershot? Does this sound typical of a completely dead battery? Or are the internal parts of the camera totally broken?
Bottom line:
Buy new battery?
Buy new camera?

I am very depressed. I love to take photos with this camera and soon to be traveling to a beautiful foreign country. Traveling without my Cybershot would be out of the question.

Thanks very much!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery Life on Sony Cybershot?!! --please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery Life on Sony Cybershot?!! --please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2007 1:43 AM PDT

Remove the SD memory card, format the internal memory and pop in a new battery. If that helps, put the SD memory card back in and format it in the camera.

Let me be blunt. That battery won't last forever...

Bob

Collapse -
Question for Bob
by BeastiesFan / June 18, 2007 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

Hi,
Thanks for your tip. I do not understand everything about cameras. When you say format the internal memory --what does that accomplish? Will it affect anything on the card?

Also, do you think that one year is about the lifetime for these Li-Ion SONY batteries?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2007 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Question for Bob

But if you can't understand my words or will not check your manual for the procedure I think it best you just ignore me.

Bob

Collapse -
wtf
by BeastiesFan / June 18, 2007 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

That was rude. I believe I did thank you for the tip.
And, I thought that this was a forum for helping out each other; we all have questions. I'm sure other people can relate when I say I have moved around and thus do not know the exact location of the camera manual from a year ago. Besides, I wasn't specifically asking about the procedure of formatting, I was actually asking about what it will affect--in layman's terms.

Collapse -
Formatting does erase the media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2007 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: wtf

Best of luck with your camera.

Collapse -
And if...
by Papa Echo / June 18, 2007 1:59 AM PDT

...you have dropped the camera a few times, the camera is likely damaged, only that it showed up only now.
And if you can't go on holiday without your camera, go buy a new one, and an extra battery, and enjoy the vacation. I would be wary of depending on a "seemed not damaged" camera, even if you have solved the problem with the battery.

Collapse -
just take it back to the shop
by watto star / June 18, 2007 5:19 AM PDT

Just take the camera back to the shop.

You mentioned you dropped the camera and thats enough for me.

But it may not me that. When you turned it on does the lens erect?

Anyways, if i was you i would take it back!

-Aidan

>>>>>>>>>>>Cheers<<<<<<<<<<<<

Collapse -
Ok, I'll go and see...
by BeastiesFan / June 18, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

thanks to Aidan and "Papa Echo"

Collapse -
same happened to me
by cnetero / September 22, 2013 10:15 PM PDT

Hi, I don't think it is fair that others blame your dropping the camera for the malfunction of the battery. I haven't dropped my camera at all and today the battery just died, it won't charge. So, you are not alone. I don't know what to do yet and I don't understand why people were so rude at you.

Collapse -
I'll try but sometimes folk want more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2013 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: same happened to me

The idea I put forward was to see if we could bring it back.

The battery in most is usually good for about 300 cycles and that works out to about 2 years. This discussion is well past that so the battery is likely worn out.

-> Are you encountering more folk today that were blissfully unaware this battery wears out or just dies?
bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.