Computer Help forum

Battery expiration

by mackywooha / February 11, 2013 12:43 AM PST

Unsure if this is the correct, place for this query, apologies if not.
I've got something thats bothering me, and I cannot find any confirmation anywhere that tells me.
Does anyone know if there is some legislation that requires a manufacturer to enclose a manufacture date, or an expiration date on batteries? I'm talking about all batteries here, from AA's through to UPS batteries etc, etc.

Any help would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Battery expiration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Battery expiration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Not that I'm aware of
by Jimmy Greystone / February 11, 2013 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Battery expiration

Not that I'm aware of, since it would be difficult to put an expiration date on batteries. Environmental factors play a huge role in that sort of thing. Store them in a hot and humid place, they will not last nearly as long as if they are in a cool dry location.

Seems like at least for the AA-D type batteries, the manufacturers already put that info on the packaging. Whether or not they're required by some law to do this I don't know. Regardless, it's just an estimate of how long the average battery should last if stored in ideal conditions, so basically meaningless.

Collapse -
Not a date you can set in stone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 2:35 AM PST

Given the list of factors that I'll list change the expiry date greatly I don't think it can be done.

Factors such as temperature, humidity, manufacturing variables, shock, drop and more can often reduce the life span. There are many fine articles about storing a battery but I'm going with the following advice.

Don't buy too many in advance of your needs. I keep about a year supply here but no more than that. The only reason I have that many is we use too many at the office and want the bulk pricing.

Now that we have a nice shop that takes the spent batteries back to be recycled into new batteries, we don't feel so bad.

Collapse -
Battery expirations
by mackywooha / February 12, 2013 1:30 AM PST

Thanks very much for the information. Very helpful, and I think these answer my question, regarding legislation.

I have been looking at it from a stock handling and disposal perspective. For example if there are 2 batteries on a shelf, with one having 2 years left on its life span, and 1 with 18 months, the one with 18 months would be picked and dispatched out. Also this would allow disposal of one that had a few months left or so, as I don't imagine customers would be happy to receive a battery with a expiry date of 3 months time on it.

I can appreciate it would be a difficult date to nail down with anything specific, but you would have thought even a Manufacturing date would be required at the very least.

Can I use a carton of milk as a comparison? Happy

Collapse -
I'm going with maybe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: Battery expirations

Since manufacturing of milk varies, it can have variations in the expiry date.

UHT Milk can last for months.

So the manufacturing date does not carry much information except for production recalls.

For batteries, using the shortest time to expiry date rotation method is a good choice.

Collapse -
battery expiration
by Crypus / October 12, 2013 2:19 PM PDT

yes, all batteries expire because the acid inside of the wears down

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.