Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Batch file help

by narumara / September 13, 2008 11:42 PM PDT

Hey, i'm having some trouble with spaces in this script, can anyone help? Its a version of dungeonman me and my friend are working on, my problem is in the input: (if %input%== look tree goto grovetree) apparently it won't accept spaces as input, but i need it too for it to be effective, any suggestions?

@echo off
echo Weclome to thy dungeonman game of Asloria
goto grove

echo Thou art in yon mystical GROVE, thou hast one miserable headache, it must have some dungeonparty last night. Thou see around you yon TREE in yon middle of ye grove. Obvious exits are NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, and WEST.
set /p input=What doest thou deau?
if %input%== look tree goto grovetree

echo Thou see yon TREE in thy middle of thy grove, it smells faintly of PARAPETS. CHARLIE is hanging from one of the branches, he is holding a SWORD, magestically posing with his hands at his hips.
set /p input=What doest thou deau?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Batch file help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Batch file help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use quotes.
by Kees Bakker / September 13, 2008 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Batch file help

if "%input%"=="look tree" goto grovetree

Works with me.

Collapse -
by narumara / September 14, 2008 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Use quotes.

well, i just tried that, but it didn't work, (if it changes anything, i have vista 64bit [but i doubt it does])

Collapse -
This was my test script.
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope...

echo off
set /p input="Input?"
if "%input%"=="with space" goto a
echo You did not enter 'with space'
goto end
echo You entered 'with space'

and it did what it should do if I executed it from the command prompt.

How does it work with you?

Collapse -
by narumara / September 17, 2008 11:58 AM PDT

well i just copied ur script and saved it as .bat and ran it, it shows up as input? and then when i type in: with space it just shuts itself off.

Collapse -
If you look at the logic ...
by Kees Bakker / October 7, 2008 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: screenshot

you'll see that it always should pass one of the echo-commands. So you should see something.

Collapse -
a different language
by zoredache / October 6, 2008 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Batch file help

With all due respect and all, but trying to write a full functioning game as a batch script is a horrible waste of time. Your end result will be a huge mess of spaghetti code.

Take some time, investigate python, basic, perl, vbscript or almost anything else then just shell script.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.