General discussion

Basic Internet Service: Comcast Cable Vs. Verizon DSL

by tmd42024 / July 19, 2011 10:02 AM PDT

I received a new price increase with my current internet
service provider (Comcast). As a result, I was interested in checking with
Verizon to see how their service compares in terms of price and transmission
speed. It turns out that in my area
Verizon offers a DSL service with 5 mbps connection; and, it is also a few
dollars cheaper than my new monthly rate with Comcast.

I contacted Comcast to see if they could match the Verizon offer. The customer
representative indicated that they could do no better in terms of their new
rate increase or connection speed. In addition, the Customer Service
Representative at Comcast indicated that my current connection speed with
Comcast is 3.5 mbps.

Before deciding whether or not to change to Verizon, I am wondering if anyone has
seen a difference in connection speeds - between Comcast Cable and Verizon
internet service? (The customer service
representative at Comcast indicated that the connection speeds via cable are
likely to be faster than DSL.) Also, has
anyone found a significant difference in the customer service for Verizon and
Comcast?

I should also mention that I only use Comcast for the basic internet service;
and, I have a separate VOIP provider.

Thanks for reading this post!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Basic Internet Service: Comcast Cable Vs. Verizon DSL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Basic Internet Service: Comcast Cable Vs. Verizon DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you're going for RAW DSL?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2011 11:04 AM PDT

Be sure you of your quotes. Sorry I've been on Verizon's DSL at that speed. Cable here is all of 10megabit and feels much faster than 10 divided by 6. And my monthly rate is 66 bucks a month for phone and net.
Bob

Collapse -
Switching to DSL
by tmd42024 / July 20, 2011 10:14 AM PDT

Hi Bob - based on your email, i'm not sure if you're happy with cable or Dsl. Did you have both? If yes, have you noticed a speed difference?
Thanks-
Todd

Collapse -
Had both. Was glad to move back to cable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Switching to DSL

I even had FIOS at 27 megabit for 3 or 4 months and even this 10 megabit seems much faster than 1/2 that fios speed.

Let me be clear. I'd go to DSL if I was in a pinch but 33 a month is great here.
Bob

Collapse -
Verizon Fioss
by Shummm18 / July 20, 2011 6:52 PM PDT

I'm not sure if it is available in your area, but if Fios is available, it is AMAZING. I have had Comcast and I'm sorry to say Fios is killing it. I ordered the 25/25 internet figuring there was no need for 35/35. I've run many different tests including Ping/Jitter/Latency tests. With other apps open I'm averaging right around 17mbps down, 16mbps up, Ping at 29ms, 0% packet loss and 1-2 jitter (which I'm not happy with) There are 4 computers and a Sony bravia TV on the network. So I guess their claim that the number of users and peak times don't affect fiber optic networks. The test is going to be playing PS3 games against my son in FL (I'm in MA). I also get right around the same speeds on my iphone on Wifi. In summary, I am very pleased with Verizon's service. You mentioned only 5mbps service ??? Here, the slowest they offer is 15/5 (down/up). Clarify it their network is fiber optic and if so, enjoy !!!

Collapse -
Comcast Cable vs Verizon DSL
by tmd42024 / July 21, 2011 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon Fioss

Shummm18 - Thanks for the info. i live in a bit of rural area. As such, Fios is not yet available. Otherwise, it would certainly be a good option to pursue. I also have heard things about FIOS that suggests that it is lightning fast.

Regarding the speed of the system, I used the CNET speed check to find out the speed of my connection yesterday. I was a bit surprised ... if I use a WIFI connection, the speed is 1.5 mbps. If I directly hook up to the network with a Cat5 cable, the speed is 10 mbps. I don't know if I believe it - especially since my connection with Comcast is theoretically suppose to max at 3.5 mbps. Are these speed checkers accurate?

Collapse -
Thanks-
by tmd42024 / July 21, 2011 9:25 AM PDT

Bob - I missed the opportunity to thank you for your feedback. Thanks!
Todd

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.