Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bank Cards, a complaint, unrelated to anything else here.

by Ziks511 / November 18, 2012 6:59 AM PST

In the UK bank debit cards are accepted for on-line transactions for anything, just like Credit Cards. It makes perfect sense, they access the provider for an authorization, if there's enough money in the account, it goes through.

I hate Credit Cards, besides my wife trashed my credit. Why shouldn't everybody be able to use a debit card on-line just as they do in (I believe) most European countries? It would just be so damned convenient.

Ah well. c'est la vie.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bank Cards, a complaint, unrelated to anything else here.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bank Cards, a complaint, unrelated to anything else here.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've been using my debit card
by TONI H / November 18, 2012 7:46 AM PST

online for years now here in the US.......the checkout only asks for the credit card/debit card number, exp date and sometimes the CVA number on the back.... and sometimes if it's a Visa or MC....sometimes that's not needed because the number itself id's that info. I can't understand why Canada wouldn't have the same setup at their banks. I think I've only written four checks this entire year......I use my debit card everywhere I go now for gas, groceries, retail stores, etc. and make payments on my utilities online with it as well.

Collapse -
I believe they do
by itsdigger / November 18, 2012 8:29 AM PST

My bank is a Canadian bank and I have always been able to use my debit card online , I live in Chicago

Collapse -
I only use a debit card to withdraw cash
by Steven Haninger / November 18, 2012 8:30 AM PST

and I don't carry around nearly as much as I once did when I had to travel more. I use a credit card for larger purchases and I monitor the activity very closely on line. I've had two occasions of finding purchases made on my card that didn't come from myself or my wife. Whether these were accidental or deliberate, I don't know. One charge was for the purchase of 2 million valid email addresses....a spammer maybe? I was able to get bogus charges taken off my card very quickly. I just feel that credit is safer than debit for most things but there's no substitute for good self discipline when using plastic to make purchases.

Collapse -
(NT) I can see your point about security Steven. Rob
by Ziks511 / November 18, 2012 10:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Doesn't work here. Banks here don't allow it.
by Ziks511 / November 18, 2012 10:34 AM PST

Now in the US clearly faced with competition which does, Canadian banks do allow the use of Debit cards online.

Since I've been away so long, I was unaware of the situation in the US being different, and hadn't even thought to bring it up with any of the family when on the phone.

Ah well. One of the prices of living in Canada, and that shows how minimal they are.

Thanks to Toni H and Digger for their responses.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.