Computer Help forum

Question

Bandit toolbar

by Fatboythin / April 3, 2013 7:59 AM PDT

Guys, I have difficulty with a bandit toolbar.

It's below the Google toolbar.
I'm doing Windows 7 with IE 8? I think it's 8.

The toolbar has the x, then Find. Blank box for search stuff. Then Previous. Next. Pen icon. Options.

I did the manage ad on stuff. It disappeared for a few minutes but now it's back.

Please advise.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bandit toolbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bandit toolbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A Couple Of Things...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Bandit toolbar

Have you tried simply RIGHT clicking in a blank area of the toolbar at the top of the screen and UNCHECK "Bandit toolbar"..

Next, because it can be considered malware, first see if you can uninstall it in Control Panel-Programs and Features.. Next, follow the steps below to use a couple of malware scanners to clean out the junk:

If you can download the tools listed below on the problem computer, great, but you may need to use a separate, clean computer, download the tools, copy them to a DIFFERENT flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" and use the instructions below. If you can't start in Safe Mode, then run all the tools while in "normal" Windows first, then run them in Safe Mode afterward.:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/SuperAntispyware

Manual Update
rhttp://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Neuro Surgery
by Fatboythin / April 3, 2013 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: A Couple Of Things...

Hey Grif, that is fantastic.

I think I could remove a malignant tumor from someone's brain while I was blindfolded, much easier than do what you've instructed me to do.

I'm sure the process is straight forward for someone like you; however it may as well be written in Russian, backwards for the likes of me.

Thanks all the same.

FBT

Collapse -
Way over the top for this bunny.
by Fatboythin / April 3, 2013 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: A Couple Of Things...

Tried the right click thing. No other toolbar shows except Google.

As to the rest Grif, I'm not a rocket scientist or neuro-surgeon.

Collapse -
Ok, Then This
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 12:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Spyware etc
by Fatboythin / April 4, 2013 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok, Then This

Hey Grif,
you are a great guy. I discovered that the SuperAntiSpyWare is just great. It cleaned up a lot of crapola that Norton didn't even pick up. How unbelievable is that!
Anyway Norton has now been uninstalled.
(So take that! Norton).

So thanks Grif, I really appreciate you being motivated to assist non-geeks like me, to be on song so to speak, with this cyber-space stuff.

Well done.

Best regards....FBT

Collapse -
Just A Note: SuperAntispyware Is NOT And Antivirus
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Spyware etc

Although SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes are good tools for removing malware, they are NOT good at removing typical viruses.. And unless you pay for them, the are not running "realtime"... they're not scanning your computer at all times..

So...in order to be safe, most recommend installing an antivirus program which runs in the background all the time.. If you're not happy with Norton, there are a number of others which work well, including the three free tools below.. Be sure to only keep one installed at a time, but you could try one, see how you like it, then try another.. You can decide which one you prefer.

Avira
http://us.avira.com/

AVG
http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Avast
http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Protection programs
by Fatboythin / April 5, 2013 9:30 PM PDT

Thanks so much for your time and advice, Grif; I really appreciate it.

OK. So this is what I understand you to be telling me.

SuperAntiSpy and Malware are not virus protection.
And for example Avira is.

So if I install Avira. What do I do with the SuperAnti and Malware. Do I just delete them?

My confusion exists in not understanding that there is not one CD program or 'downloadable' program that I can use that will do both Spy and Malware stuff as well as virus control.

Does it mean I have to install the Superspy or Malware when I want to run a check on my computer?

Whew! Sorry about going all around the houses Grif.

Best regards....FBT

Collapse -
You Can Leave Them Installed...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Protection programs

You're exactly correct.. There is no single program that will protect you from all malware but it's still best to have an antivirus program running in the background as it should prevent most viruses from activating on the computer.. Most antivirus programs do a "fair" job at finding spyware and malware, but it's always a good idea to have secondary scanners which are dedicated to spyware and malware. Still, the most important protector of your computer is YOU.. Knowledge and caution will get you a long way..

In regards to SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes, since they don't run "realtime" on the computer, you can leave them installed.. They shouldn't cause a conflict with any antivirus program because they're simply "sitting there" waiting for you to perform an "on demand" scan when you choose..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Beer
by Fatboythin / April 6, 2013 10:50 AM PDT

If I had your address Grif, I'd send you a six-pack of beer!

Thankyou for your tutoring.

FBT.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks For Posting Back & Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Beer
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.