Mac OS forum

Backup issue with DAT Drive

by d_gilbert / January 14, 2013 3:52 AM PST

We used to backup everything to an external DAT drive using 4mm 12-24Gb DDS3 tapes to our G4. The day came when the drive failed. No problem we moved to a DLT Tapes and life went on and on.
Now, of course we need to retrieve something that was only backed-up on DAT Tapes.

If we had PC's it would'n t be a problem since there is plenty of refurbished Drives available on the net.
Not so for Mac compatible drives.
Google search give me results for HP drives that do not work for Macs.

Suggestions! Names! Codes! Stores! Item to sell!
Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup issue with DAT Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup issue with DAT Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 4:12 AM PST

With 1TB external drives now plentiful for what you used to pay for a few tapes most folk have disposed of tapes and moved to DVD/BluRay and external HDDs for backup.

Once in a while you find an old shop that didn't change and they suffer as they can't find repairs or parts.

Collapse -
Forget a name for data recovery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: I hear you.
Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by d_gilbert / January 14, 2013 5:12 AM PST

I looked locally into this before and it it way too expensive.
To the point where redoing the work is cheaper.

Collapse -
I know some Apple owners are loathe to do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

But files are files are files and tapes read on a PC should result in files landing on another hard drive and us shuttling it over to the Apple kindred with USB sticks or what not.

I think I paid 26 dollars for a 64GB memory stick last month. Slow thing but faster than tape and if I recall, cheaper than tape.

Collapse -
tapes vs stick
by d_gilbert / January 14, 2013 7:32 AM PST

Today we do backup to External HD. So easy.
But in the days, 2000(?) we were backing up to tapes.
A file is a file as you mentioned. I can open presto a Photoshop file on a PC or a Mac.
Here the catalog is the problem.
I installed Retrospect 4 on a PC no problem.
With a key I transferred the appropriate catalog.
From the PC Retrospect menu, I cannot locate it, and simply add to the list of catalogs.

No easy way.

Collapse -
Ahh. Retrospect. Was that from
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: tapes vs stick
Collapse -
Again thanks
by d_gilbert / January 15, 2013 12:40 AM PST

But by looking by the traffic happening over there I will have to sit on this one for a while.
Thanks again for the support.

Collapse -
retrospect solution
by d_gilbert / January 15, 2013 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Again thanks

Here is what a Retrospect agent answered:

"Data created with Retrospect 8.x and later for Macintosh can be read by Retrospect 7.7 or later for Windows. Data created with Retrospect 7.7 or later for Windows can be read by Retrospect 8.x or later on the Macintosh."

I don't fall in this category.
So I guess my solution will go through finding an elusive yet decently priced Dat drive on the web.

Collapse -
Re: restore
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 4:22 AM PST

Is it possible to restore to a PC and get the files you need out on a USB-stick? Maybe some of those refurbished PC model come with PC software enabling you to actually read the tapes and get the original files from it.

Collapse -
Thanks Kees.
by d_gilbert / January 14, 2013 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re: restore

It did cross my mind and I discarded that solution.
The Software (Retrospect 5) needs to retrieve the info from the catalog file created on a Mac when doing the backup.
Could the Pc restore a file written to a Mac?
I will still try to find a decently priced Dat drive, but if I do go with your solution,
I'll let you know.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.