PC Hardware forum

Question

Backup drive failure - hardware or software???

by electrajune / November 9, 2012 10:08 PM PST

I have Bounce Back Ultimate for Windows XP which I bought from CMS a couple years ago. I also bought from them a 750GB drive to use as my total system backup. It has been a little jewel it just sits in the background and continuously backs up my whole system. I bought this specific set up because I am not a techie and wanted to be able to just swap out drives if my desktop PC failed.

It is just so innocuous I never stop to even think of it but it did dawn on me a couple days ago that I did not remember it backing up. The snip is a message to their forum::

<snip>
I also have recently [within the last 10 days per a message] had some problem with my BounceBack Ultimate,
. It has worked with no problems for a couple years and I am embarrassed to say I did not even notice it was not backing up. When I started looking I tried the control center and found that the "K" drive [my external drive] was "missing". I checked all the connections, made sure everything was secure in its slot--same result. I then changed the usb port in case the port was bad -- nada.

I then restored the system [XP, SP3] to 26 Oct 2012]. and this did nothing--same result, the drive is "missing".

Looking at the system information I do not find the drive listed. Obviously there is a problem with the drive but I have reached the extent of my hardware knowledge and do not know where to go now.
<snip>

Basically the moderator wrote back telling me to do exactly what I had already told him I had done; he also added:

"4. Utilize the Windows Disk Management application to determine if the hard drive if the drive is unformatted or if you need to manually assign a drive letter to this hard drive. More Information on how to use Disk Management. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22251/find-your-missing-usb-drive-in-windows-7-vista/"

I replied telling him I had done all that again except the Windows Disk Management application--do not even know if I have that plus I was unsure how the drive could not be formatted when it has been running for a couple years.

Bottom line--they sent me an RMA to return the drive and its power supply. Was ready to do this until I realized that my whole financial, medical, etc life is on the drive; I cannot share it. I would think the technicians would be ethical and the data would be secure but I do not want to take a chance.

Can anyone think of anything else I can check--the rest of my set up is working fine; we have had no power outages--my system is set up to run through an APC Back-UPS to take care of any problems.

The only unusual think I have had to do the last few weeks was a system restore about 6 weeks ago--I know it worked after that. The restore was done in conjunction with a Firefox ver 15.0.1 problem.

As you all can tell--I have reached my limit of knowledge. If I cannot solve the problem will just scrap the current backup drive and buy another one.

TIA

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup drive failure - hardware or software???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup drive failure - hardware or software???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Drive/backup
by pgc3 / November 10, 2012 12:19 AM PST

Just out of curiosity did you hook the external up to another system? Does the drive itself power up? Assuming the drive is a/c driven (power adapter) then USB to system, this is normally the first thing to try to determine if the issue is hardware or software/system related.

Collapse -
Drivebackup revisited
by electrajune / November 16, 2012 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Drive/backup

In answer to testing another system--I have only the desktop, no other system.

However--this has gotten curiouser and curiouser...just about the time I was going to pull the unit/power supply the drive came back on. I had not made the connection--have no idea what makes this come on--suddenly appearing is a partial screen with the same little search eye that you are seeing when you do a "search" for a program. Items to select are the same as if I was being asked to choose where to insert a CD, thumb drive, or someother external piece of hardware. Without thinking I simply cancelled the pop-up and--the back-up drive came on. I have no idea what activates this [partial] screen; have tried to remember and/or cause it to come up but nada. The external drive backed up and worked for several days and is now back to its same problem -- the backup drive is not found either by the computer's system or the drive software.

The pop-up screen is not a new event; I just never associated it with the external drive [K]. There is not a choice for the backup on the screen. By pop-up I mean just that--not an ad popup.

Another dumb question--if I reinstall the software and set the back up to exactly the current parameters will that further complicate things. I thought there might be some glitch with the software. I asked the same of tech support but did not get an answer. It may be that this is to specific a question to the CMS BounceBack Ultimate software and, if so, I do understand. I have a copy of the manual and have searched their site online and cannot find an answer. Even if I have to completely start over if reinstalling the software will fix it I will be glad to do it--just did not want to make a mistake.

Thanks for your help; sorry to be so uneducated!

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like a failing drive to me
by wpgwpg / November 22, 2012 5:02 AM PST

If this drive ever comes back to life, I'd immediately copy anything I want to keep off of it, then format it. Depending on how secure your data is, you might want to consider one of the programs to wipe the data, since it's still possible for a determined technician to retrieve it.
I'd also buy myself a new external drive (you can buy 1 TB ones now for as little as $70), and get a good software program like Norton Ghost or Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm .

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.