Phones forum

Question

Backup contacts, calendar and files from WM5

by rowan.bradley / June 20, 2011 9:40 PM PDT

I have an XDA Argon running WM5. It has on it all my contacts, calendar etc. plus lots of Excel, Notes and other files. It used to synchronise with my notebook PC, but now whenever I connect it to the notebook either the notebook overwrites the data in the mobile, or vice versa. I have not therefore dared to synchonise it for over a year now, so both devices now have a lot of differences. Also I suspect the root of the problem is that somehow the timestamps (or whatever Mobile Device Center uses to control its sync process) have got messed up.

How do I, without risk of losing any data either in my mobile or in my notebook, get the two re-synchronised?

Either I need to back up both sets of data to somewhere I can restore from before trying to sync, or I need a sync process that will never delete or overwrite anything without asking for permission first. So far I've failed to find either solution. I can back up the files from the mobile to an SD card, but I can't find out how to back up the calendar and contacts. Is there a web service that will do it (without connecting to the PC)? Or can I create a new Outlook account and copy the mobile items to it in some way (without the risk that the PC writes the empty Outlook account into the mobile thus deleting everything)?

Hope someone can suggest a safe way out of this mess...

Thanks - Rowan

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backup contacts, calendar and files from WM5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backup contacts, calendar and files from WM5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I think
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2011 7:18 AM PDT

The first thing to do is to see if your WM5 device has a backup option onboard. I can't know all models but many had a backup to SD CARD feature. Use that first then EXPLORE WHAT settings you used in ActiveSync for the sync.
Bob

Collapse -
Why do I have to enter a subject?
by rowan.bradley / June 21, 2011 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: I think

I can copy my files to an SD card, but I can't see any way to back up my calendar or contacts. Where would this be in the menu structure? Under Programs, or Settings (and if Settings, under Personal, System or Connections)? Or would it be part of ActiveSync?

I've looked in all these places and can't see anything that looks as if it would back up my calendar and contacts.

As an alternative, can I use ActiveSync to do this? I guess, to be safe, I would have to install Outlook on a separate PC that hasn't had it before, and set up a new sync partnership with this PC. But then how could I be sure that allowing it to sync would not overwrite all my data in the mobile with the blank data in Outlook? This is the sort of thing that seems to have happened before, and is why I'm so hesitant to run ActiveSync until I've got a backup.

Or is there some web service that will synchronise to my mobile contacts and calendar without using ActiveSync?

Thanks - Rowan

Collapse -
Why do you have to enter a subject?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2011 7:55 PM PDT

It helps identify what a post is likely to be about.

Many people view these forums in Threaded, (or Collapsed), mode, where only the subjects are visible until the subject header is clicked to expand the post.

Mark

Collapse -
Reply to: Why do you have to enter a subject?
by rowan.bradley / June 21, 2011 8:06 PM PDT

I would have thought that if I'm replying to a previous message that had a subject, it was fairly obvious that the subject was the same as that of the previous message. An optional subject would be fine - I can then add it if my message covers something different from the original subject. But a mandatory subject seems odd to me in a tracked forum. I don't think I've ever seem another forum system that insisted on a subject for replies...

Thanks - Rowan

Collapse -
Well you've just disproved that yourself
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2011 8:23 PM PDT

by changing the direction of the original post's topic to "Why do I have to enter a subject?"

And that happens all the time. If nothing else, it's a courtesy.

Mark

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2011 1:31 AM PDT

Sorry but do we need to discuss forum details here? I'd rather discuss active sync.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
One option...
by John.Wilkinson / June 25, 2011 9:57 AM PDT

You can use PIMBackup (freeware) to backup all contacts, appointments, tasks, emails, et cetera to a file on an SD card or other storage. You can do a partial or complete restoration of that data as necessary, enabling you to attempt a sync without risking losing all of your information should something go wrong.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Answer
another option...
by mango-8 / June 1, 2012 1:27 AM PDT

i used www.forgotyourphone.com to store all my mobile phone contacts and it is really useful and also simple to use

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.