Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

backspace wont work

by josha / October 20, 2004 8:32 AM PDT

i have microsoft office 2003 and the backspace key works but when i highlight a word and use the backspace key the word does not delete. this has only happped with Microsoft Word the backspace works every where else. does any body know how to fix this,(i tried to reinstall office and that did not work)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: backspace wont work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: backspace wont work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: backspace wont work
by Kees Bakker / October 20, 2004 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: backspace wont work

Of all the weird things happening with a corrupted normal.dot this would be one of the weirdest. But one never knows.

So go into Windows Explorer, find all occurences of a file called normal.dot, delete them and see if Word now behaves.
Otherwise, I suggest using the delete-key, which in this situation behaves exactly the same as the backspace, as far as I can see.

Kees

Collapse -
by josha / October 21, 2004 4:56 AM PDT

ah i searched normal.dot 2 files came up and i del them but nothing happened it still wont work

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / October 21, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

Josha,

The first hit in http://www.google.com/search?q=word+backspace+delete is to a discussion with experts-exchange. You need to pay a membership fee to see the answers, but - luckily - you can see the whole thread in google's cache also.

There are a few other suggestions, apart from deleting normal.dot and getting used to use the delete key. It won't harm to try them.

You did an uninstall/install, but did you use the Office 2003 Removal Wizard in between? It cleans things normal uninstall doesn't clean. This secret setting might be one of them.
You can download it from www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/tools/BoxA13.htm if you can't find it on your Office CD.

Finally, if you've got a fully paid version of Word, you might consider to contact Microsoft technical support. But it won't be free, I'm afraid.

Please post back if there are interesting developments.

Kees

Collapse -
by mester / December 5, 2004 8:25 PM PST

Hey havde samme problem for nylig. Tror maaske jeg er kommet til at trykke en genvejstast til et eller andet i et office program. For der var ingen der kunne bruge backspace. Men loesningen ligger i words indstillinger.
Hvis du vaelger funktioner i menuen og derefter indstillinger, herinde clicker du saa paa tabben rediger. Og den allerfoerste checkbox under redigeringsindstillinger "Ny tekst erstatter markeret", den skal vaere checked.

Det var ihvertfald mit problem og er ogsaa ret sikkert paa det er dit. Haaber du finder ud af det

Collapse -
by mester / December 5, 2004 8:35 PM PST

Woops a bit too fast there, forgot to write in English. DOH, think i'm a bit too tired.
I just encountered same problem, but was able to fix it. Think i accendently hit a shortcut key in word which changed a setting.
Do this(not sure on the names cause my word is in a other language)..
1. Click "functions" in the menu in word
2. Choose "Preferences" (the last element in the list)
3. Choose the tab, "edit" (between "General" and "print")
4. Make sure the first checkbox "New text substitutes marked" is checked

Should be it, hope you figured it out, and was able to navigate to the right place:) Isn't at all sure about my translations:)
/Anders

Collapse -
SIMPLE
by nader11 / December 25, 2004 12:22 AM PST

This is very simple to fix. Go to 'Tools', 'Options' and tick the box 'Typing replaces selection'. Thanks

Collapse -
RE:SIMPLE
by Matt_zero / January 6, 2009 6:23 PM PST
In reply to: SIMPLE

Cheers nader11 that sorted the problem, no idea how I accidentally managed to uncheck that box though!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.