Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Backing up Outlook tasks, calendar, e-mail

by KostaKondratenko / October 30, 2009 1:40 PM PDT

Ok so I know there is an option to Export your Outlook into a .pst file and then import it. Well I'm doing something wrong because I tried importing my old file and my old notes are not coming through.

I'm paranoid because I have so much stuff on my outlook and if I drop my laptop and something happens I am screwed.

So this is basically what i want: I want to be able to back up EVERYTHING. I mean every bit of information, including my ISP username and password. And let's say this .pst file backup that I assume will result from this backup, let's say I lose my laptop, I buy a new one and instal Microsoft Office 2007 and then import this backup I want EVERYTHING BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS.

I DON'T want stuff to be imported into new folders or any other headaches, I just want everything restored, at the moment it just comes out really complicated, I don't get it. I know this is not much information but I'm sure there's a way to back up all your folders and restore them if your hard drive malfunctions and loses all your stuff.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing up Outlook tasks, calendar, e-mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing up Outlook tasks, calendar, e-mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: backup Outlook
by Kees Bakker / October 31, 2009 5:33 AM PDT

The easy way: backup your .pst file and a few other files.

http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup2007.asp tells you the details.

However, I recommend trying the procedure by restoring the backup on another laptop/PC and see how it works out.

Kees

Collapse -
95% there
by KostaKondratenko / October 31, 2009 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: backup Outlook

Hi,

Thank you for your propmt reply. So I copied all the backup folders in Outlook but mainly the big .pst file into a USB stick then I created a new account on my computer and then started Outlook from there without configuring a mail account (I assume you can't export your account details such as passwords etc. probably not a good idea anyway);.

So anyway, I imported the .pst file and presto! Perfect... well almost. My category colors were gone (you know in Outlook 2007 how you can make your categories for your tasks and everything else color coded). It's not the biggest deal in the world and I'm sure if my Outlook crashed and I got all my files back but without the 'color coding' I would be quite reasonably pleased.

However how do I preserve the color coding?

Note: I actually copied every single file in the Application Date/Microsoft/Outlook to the corresponding folder in the new Windows account and nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees Bakker / October 31, 2009 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: 95% there

I've got no Outlook 2007 here (only at work), so I can't try. Moveover, I only use it for mail and calender there, and never used categories, so I'm afraid I can't tell you.

If nobody comes up with a solution, it won't be too difficult to redo the settings, I assume.

Kees

Collapse -
You're Right
by KostaKondratenko / October 31, 2009 8:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Outlook

Yeah you're right, no big deal. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.