Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Backing up Office Data from Home

by vocoderman / October 28, 2004 6:49 AM PDT

I have a server runnng microsoft server 2000 at work. I want to back up our data from home incase there is a break in or fire or whatever at the office.

I have a computer at home and basically want a program that will run daily at a scheduled time and back up changed data.

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing up Office Data from Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing up Office Data from Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Backing up Office Data from Home
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2004 9:37 AM PDT

At the office we use OpenSSH to do such transfers since we much not LEAK! Servers and clients and documentation start at

Best of luck,

Collapse -
by vocoderman / October 29, 2004 3:13 AM PDT

THank You.

OpenSSH sounds good. But the main thing we want to do is have it back up itself, out of the office, automatically.

We need a program to do that. DO you know what I mean?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

As to scheduling, I would write scripts or batch files to finish this off and schedule such with the task scheduler.

This is entry level batch file work, so your IT staff should be able to handle it or else I'd look to replace them ASAP.

Collapse -
by vocoderman / October 31, 2004 10:14 PM PST

Unfortunately we are a small company. So we don't have an IT department. I'll be setting it up myself.

I should be able to do it.

Thanx for your help....

Collapse -
In that case, here's an example...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 1:05 AM PST

Please excuse that there's more in there than you need to know, but commands and more are noted and you'll start digesting password/other management as well.

Our IT person had it working in about 20 minutes so take it that this stuff works well. The only issue can be all the firewalls people install, so the port you need to open is usually 22.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.