Storage

Question

Backing up 3 servers to one storage device?

by toejammin / May 16, 2013 12:39 AM PDT

Have 3 servers all on separate dedicated private networks. These servers are not allowed to route to each other. All servers reside in the same rack. Would like to use windows server backup to create recovery images of each server and save to external. Was thinking about putting in a USB 3 hub then attach to a Buffalo TeraStation 5400r Rackmount via USB. Doable? (alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated) Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing up 3 servers to one storage device?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing up 3 servers to one storage device?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Not a good idea
by Willy / May 16, 2013 1:51 AM PDT

You're setting yourself up for a doosey of a failure, should it happen(it can). Funneling everything to "one" anything is bound to cause some issue to arise. I don't know why you have 3-servers but you've crossed into commercial or beyond typical home user application. Thus, you need to spend the $ to get real and find what it really takes. Why, you're not using some Server OS(or similar) is beyond me(I assume). I would think, your best doable and reasonable setup would be a dump to a singular HD for each server. But, IMO look at NAS setups and Buffalo can help there too. If you have a home brew server setup, try to standardize what you have, so things can settle. When it comes to USB, try to stay away from that, use ethernet when you can. Why, because think of it as a highway of 3-lanes now where everyone has to exit onto a 1-lane exit ramp. Plus, you made your setup to connect all to one backup, you've in effect made a backdoor link of sorts, somehow I can't see this as a good idea.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
re: Not a good idea
by toejammin / May 16, 2013 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a good idea

The Buffalo is a 4 disk RAID unit. None of the servers are connected to the internet nor will the buffalo be connected to the internet. Kinda stuck with what I have. Mainly trying to get backups locally without taking up too much rack space. Thanks.

Collapse -
POV here...
by Willy / May 16, 2013 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Not a good idea

From past experience once you get into "hodge-podge" setups, sooner or later something happens. Because it is some unique setup or arrangement, it becomes difficult to sort out. Even for a pro, it boils down to get to the basics or lower level in order to settle things out. I think once you have this happen to you, it all makes sense what I'm stating. You will teach yourself what works and not. Overall, I see you're trying to get the most out of it but placing some requirement and making everything else to conform or bend to it. You do what you gotta do, as others may offer, it is what it is and sometimes that's a build-up to a major failure. As I stated you it's not a good idea. I have no clue if you were on the WWW/internet you didn't state that. However, it is still possible should it become more open to your demands as time goes by at no fault of your own. It's just an issue I saw as possible given the info provided. good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
re: POV here
by toejammin / May 16, 2013 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: POV here...

Thanks Willy! Open to suggestions that do not require connecting any to the internet or routing any traffic between the isolated networks. Thanks again!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
As presented, no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: Backing up 3 servers to one storage device?
by toejammin / May 16, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: As presented, no.

Open to suggestions.. I cannot route any network traffic nor create a back-end dedicated network for network backups between these servers. The Buffalo is 4-disk hot-swap RAID NAS..only I cannot network the servers together.

I will look into connecting the Buffalo to my KVM and try that.

Disable/enable usb port on the server to correlate with backup times?

Collapse -
About the disable/enable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 5:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Backing up 3 servers to one storage device?
by Ezzie123 / June 18, 2013 4:33 PM PDT

First and foremost, I highly, HIGHLY recommend that you consider the distinct advantages to switching over to dedicated server hosting, as the hodge-podge of components you have are not nearly enterprise grade in comparison to the functions you expect and the configuration you are trying to make work. That being said, the hub idea would not work, usb does not work the same way as a network, and all 3 Servers cannot access the USB device at the same time. The only proper way to do this with external drives is to have 3 separate external drives, one for each server. If you are worried about redundancy you can network those shares and then back them up to a central SAN.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.