Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Backing up 2 Acer Laptops, Windows 8

by Woody1uk / July 2, 2013 11:45 PM PDT

I would really appreciate some advice please. I just purchased 2 Acer Laptops running on Windows 8 operating systems and am getting to grips with finding my way around it but I want to make the Acer recovery backup discs. Now, it says it requires a 16GB USB Flash Drive for this purpose. Q1: Do I need two of these then as one for each Laptop and to do a seperate recovery drive for them both?
Q2: Then there is another thing saying Windows 8 Recovery Drive requires 225 MB Flash Drive. So I think I gathered not to do them both the Recovery Drive so this would need to be seperate on a 2 GB Flash Drive maybe, again 2 of for both Laptops?
Q3: To back up all of the programmes I put onto my new Laptops, Is this just done as a seperate Flash drive or can you not back up programmes as such, just documents etc?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Woody1uk has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing up 2 Acer Laptops, Windows 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing up 2 Acer Laptops, Windows 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Woody1uk

Collapse -
Use Easeus Todo Backup Free & an external hard drive
by wpgwpg / July 3, 2013 12:05 AM PDT

I suggest you get away from the Windows backup program and get yourself a good commercial backup program. The one I'm using and like is Easeus Todo Backup Free, which you can download from http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm
The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus, and I've been using it lately in a variety of configurations; and have to say I'm very impressed. It will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot. See PC World's review at
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,80031-order,4/description.html .
-
CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at
http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 1 TB one for around $70 and a 2 TB one for around $95. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for as little as $15. It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps. Good luck

Collapse -
Thank you
by Woody1uk / July 3, 2013 3:05 AM PDT

Thank you very much for your answer wpgwpg and for not making me feel inferior for needing to ask it Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Re: backups discs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 12:40 AM PDT

I find it strange that you need a flash drive to make a Acer recovcery discs. Isn't that a set of DVD's any more?
If the laptops are identical, you only need one set of discs or flash drive. If they are different you need two.

And what's the Windows 8 Recovery Drive? Apart from the fact that the last 200 MB Flash drive I saw was some 10 years ago, certainly Windows doesn't fit on such a small stick. If you look at your Windows account you'll find it easily 10 GB and that's only a part of what you really need to restore the system.

Your final question: it's up to you what you want to backup. The only really important thing is that you know how to restore what you backup. And I have the impression you haven't yet reached that level of expertness.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you
by Woody1uk / July 3, 2013 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: backups discs

Thank you both for your very helpful replies. Was it really that obvious that I was not yet at such a level of expertise? Oh dear, And me a fully trained administrator. Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Back to Acer I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 3:10 AM PDT

Q1. I needed one for one. If I had 2 machines, I need 2.

Q2. That's just the Windows 8 Recovery Drive and not a full OS recovery. That's why it's different. I opted to make a recovery disc on DVD and well, what a mess all this is. I'll reveal what I ended up with later.

Q3. As in the past, there is no option to backup all of the programmes. And since my limited testing has the Windows 8 Recovery failing (not an Acer) I think you should backup the old fashioned way.

The old fashioned way is to save an image of the drive with the usual apps you've used in the past (I'm sure this is not your fist PC.) I'm using Clonezilla to save an entire image of the drive to some USB external HDD.

The old fashioned backup I use nearly every day to weekly is a file sync. Since I can restore the OS and reinstall apps, I only care about my files. For that I use SyncBack and GoodSync.

Final Q3 answer. No. It appears that it's not a very good backup system. I'm sure MSFT didn't mean this to be that bad but in my opinion MSFT is not to be trusted (still) with any of their backup and restore software.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by Woody1uk / July 3, 2013 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Back to Acer I fear.

Thank you Bob.
I will now re-think everything and start again I think.
You have helped by explaining the difference in Q2. I must admit these things do boggle my mind in our days. I know how to use one but all the rest of it is above my head and I didn't quite realise how little I knew until now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.