Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Back Ground Program still Running

by guesswho69 / March 14, 2011 6:48 PM PDT

when I shut down my computer I always get a message "waiting for background program to close" Then I have the option to force shut down. When I check my task manager, nothing is showing as running in the background; as a matter of fact there is just a blank screen.
Can anyone help me clear this up. Very very simple instruction though as I am a total idiot on this thing, lol

Aspire 7540G-1088, Windows 7

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Back Ground Program still Running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Back Ground Program still Running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Task Manager, Blank Screen
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 11:25 PM PDT

Try the "Processes" tab of the Task Manager. That should never be empty.

Refresh my memory please. I am using Windows 7 and I have seen this myself on occasion. The display darkens considerably and this message appears on the darkened background.

But doesn't Windows 7 say what program it is waiting to close? I thought it did but as it hasn't happened to me in a while I cannot remember.

Also, if you just wait, does the 'shut-down' process close this program anyway and then shut down continues?

Something you could try. The next time you intend to shutdown, make a note of the time, (hours and minutes). Then shut down. Then reboot Windows and head over to the Event Viewer and search for any software or system events that are taking a long time to close from that time you noted.

Event Viewer: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, then "Windows Logs" and Application and/or System.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Same here. But let me comment a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2011 2:00 AM PDT

While the whys and hows are technically interesting WHAT CONSUMERS TODAY WANT is for all this to stop pestering the owners and "just work."

If you let Windows do its thing I recall this screen to automatically move on without me having to intervene.

Yes, you are expecting Microsoft and the software makers to get their act together (they have not yet!) But for now there is no issue besides the fact they need to fix this eventually so consumers won't have to fret.

Collapse -
Allow it time
by Willy / March 15, 2011 2:05 AM PDT

As long as the shutdown progresses, you need not any further action on your part. It is already shutting down and will. If you've done any recent new h/w or s/w additions it maybe reflecting the new stuff and simply takes longer. Proving it doesn't actually hang or freeze for an excessive long time, leave it be. I found my own system will display at times such messages and continue to turn everything-OFF and allow the system to shutdown on its own, which it always does. Typical maint. should be applied like defragging, cleaning the temp. files., etc., to help reduce clutter, etc. as the process of shutting down is a basic general cleaning of sorts or placing itself in order before it truly shuts down.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
reply to background program still running
by silverdaisy62 / March 19, 2011 10:37 AM PDT

i believe it is talking about the screensaver, background pic, etc. it's something that happens in win7 only if i recall. i just leave it alone and it goes about it's business of turning off within a few seconds anyway. i don't force it as it says you can do, i'm afraid that my screw something up. as i said, i think this is just on all win7. hope this helps a bit.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.