Site Feedback forum

by Thad_McIlroy / November 2, 2011 3:51 AM PDT
Since when did CNET start installing the evil Babylon software as part of a download??? I'm going to stop using CNET till it's gone.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Babylon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Babylon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by CNET_Gregg-23902024539272 / November 2, 2011 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Babylon

Thank you for your feedback.

When you initiate the download,you will encounter a single offer for additional 3rd-party
software (Babylon, in this case), which is clearly disclosed and provides the option to accept or decline the offer before proceeding with the download. We only show offers for software that is approved for listing on CNET If you do not wish to use the CNET Installer, we provide a link to the direct HTTP download URL below the main "Download Now" button on the products "detail page" on You can access this page by clicking on the product name on your "My Software" page. You will need to be logged in as a CNET member to use this link.

CNET Technical Support

Collapse -
Babylon sucks anyway
by Thad_McIlroy / December 10, 2011 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: re:babylon

I understand that CNET provides a service and that the ads you display in providing that service can be supplemented by taking money from a third party, BUT:
1. Babylon is evil. Period. It's the closest thing to a virus I've found in third party software. I've spent an hour over the last month trying to weed out all it's traces and yet this a.m. doing a search with IE it once again took me to Babylon. I do a search on all the files on my computer for "babylon.*" (and other variants) and nothing appears. That is virus-like behavior.
2. Your rationalizations about "clearly disclosed" and "software that is approved for listing" and "we provide a link to the direct HTTP download URL" (if you do, I never noticed it, so the design is at least effective in its goal!), are just that "rationalizations".
3. We both know that folks who are not technologically sophisticated assume that they are SUPPOSED to install recommended additional software, as my friend K did when she screwed up her older version of Windows on her older computer with evil Babylon. It took me several hours to root out all the traces there and then something else didn't work the way she was used to it working and she just assumed that I'd done something wrong.

Collapse -
Babylon Removal Tool
by WebThePlanet / May 13, 2012 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Babylon sucks anyway
Collapse -
The nightmare never will end
by TWB404 / November 2, 2011 8:17 AM PDT

I keep hoping to wake up and find out it was just a nightmare. It never ends.

Collapse -
Maleware bytes found it
by WebThePlanet / May 13, 2012 7:16 AM PDT

Maleware bytes found it. Will keep you updated. I'm dumping Windows altogether anyhow. Tried of a second rate OS.

Collapse -
Hello from Babylon support team :-)
by Babylonsupport / May 14, 2012 12:05 AM PDT

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience.In the future, if you encounter an issue please contact us at and we'll be glad to help you.

Collapse -
You are
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 14, 2012 5:39 AM PDT

15 months too late.

Shame you couldn't have called in sooner!

Collapse -
Are you serious?
by cnetdownloaderhate / May 22, 2012 5:47 AM PDT

CNET? You actually let the scum at babylon on your support forums to spread their crap too? This is disheartening... It's bad enough you let this scum in your downloads section, but to let their criminals onto your support forum is sickening.

Collapse -
No delete or edit button?
by cnetdownloaderhate / May 22, 2012 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you serious?

I am guessing this forum was setup by amateurs...
Anyways, I thought this was in reference to the babylon malware, not the babylon software thingy[that I have never used and probably never will] but the makers of this forum seem to be beginners and missed a few important buttons in the creation, so I can't fix that above post.

Collapse -
No delete or edit button.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 22, 2012 6:54 AM PDT

That's by design. It already was the case in the original Jive version, and by the recent overhaul it wasn't changed.

So the thing to do: post a correct post and alert the old one with a request to delete it. Be sure your new post isn't an answer to your old post, because then it will be deleted automatically also.

Collapse -
Well, as it turns out
by cnetdownloaderhate / May 22, 2012 7:32 AM PDT

So giving your users less options is by design? Leaving out features is by design? Sounds like cnet is taking the wrong routes lately, spyware installers, adware, lying to your users... this is really getting kindof scary. What has cnet become other than a new type of devils advocate?

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 22, 2012 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, as it turns out

I see you didn't read my post to you here;;contentBody#message5314087

Please refrain from accusations and abusive language.

Not allowing members to edit or delete their own posts was a deliberate decision to avoid misuse of posts and malicious posting.

Those who know can still edit their posts, or cancel them, before submitting. They use the "Preview" option.

Sorry you haven't seen that.

Collapse -
No, I read it...
by cnetdownloaderhate / May 26, 2012 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep.

I chose to ignore it, because I don't believe in taking advice or rules or warnings or recommendations or any kind of input from anyone who defends adware or spyware. I usually consider the people who endorse adware and spyware to be the type of person NOT to listen to under any circumstance.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.