Computer Help

General discussion

Avira Antivir Personal Free Edition Not Updating

by ritchie58 / October 15, 2009 7:09 PM PDT

I have been using Avira Antivir free edition for some time now with no problems. However it has not updated in three days. I tried to manually update several times to no avail. After an unusually long time it just hangs and then I get an error message. Is anybody else having the same problem? I even went to their web site and read the forums there and found out this is an ongoing problem with their update servers. What a shame! I use to consider this software an excellent free anti-virus program but no more. I use to use AVG and if this problem persists I'm going to try the new version that is out.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avira Antivir Personal Free Edition Not Updating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avira Antivir Personal Free Edition Not Updating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Over in the Avira forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 1:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Different Ways To Update Avira
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 3:49 AM PDT

First, remember where the Avira servers are and as such, time your updates when the rest of the world is not online.. I find no problems when setting the automatic update time to 7:00 or 8:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time..

Second, it's also fairly easy to manually update Avira by clicking on the link below, then click on the "Download IVDF (Unicode)" link in the middle of the page, then download the update file (it's a .zip file) to your desktop. Once it's there, open Avira, click on the "Update" menu at the top, select "Manual Update", navigate to the file on your desktop, then follow the prompts to update the program.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/vdf_update.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Cant even open AVIRA forum
by xcer / November 11, 2009 10:35 PM PST

I don,t know what happened but these past 2 days, I have been having problems with updating AVIRA. It tells me that an error occurred and when I do check the report, it tells me that the error has got something to do with WinINet Library..wherever and whatever that is. (P.S. I tried the resetting proxy server and manual updates, tried to get into AVIRA forum site but the thing just won't open.) Can someone help me please? Thanks much. Hereunder is the report on the update error:

Product information:
Product version: 9.0.0.407
Updater: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\update.exe 9.0.0.52
Plugin: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\updext.dll 9.0.0.6

Temp Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\
Backup folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\BACKUP\
Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\
Updater folder: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\
AppData folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\

[UPD] [INFO] Checking whether newer files are available.
[UPDLIB] [ERROR] Termination of host name 'personal.avira-update.com' failed. Error: APR does not understand this error code
[UPDLIB] [ERROR] Termination of host name 'personal.avira-update.net' failed. Error: APR does not understand this error code
[UPD] [INFO] Select update server 'http://62.146.66.184/update'.
[UPD] [INFO] Downloading of 'http://62.146.66.184/update/idx/master.idx' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\idx\master.idx'.
[UPDLIB] [ERROR] Download manager: An error occurred inside the WinINet library.
[UPD] [INFO] Downloading of 'http://62.146.66.184/update/idx/master.idx' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\idx\master.idx'.
[UPDLIB] [ERROR] Download manager: An error occurred inside the WinINet library.
[UPDLIB] [ERROR] Termination of host name 'perspeak.avira-update.com' failed. Error: APR does not understand this error code
[UPDLIB] [ERROR] No other server...
[UPD] [ERROR] Generation of update structure failed. UpdateLib delivers error 537.

Summary:
0 Files downloaded
0 Files installed

22:10:35 The update failed!

Collapse -
Try the usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2009 11:11 PM PST

Download the latest. Go offline, uninstall, install the latest then let it update.

As with the free antivirus ALL of them will fail to update at one time or another. If you can't accept this then move on to something that you can get support for.
Bob

Collapse -
Manual Update
by ritchie58 / November 12, 2009 4:45 AM PST

Like the other guy stated try uninstalling and then reinstall and see if it updates then. If it still won't update you could try to manually install the latest definition files at this link: http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip This page will tell you how to extract and install this zip file.

Collapse -
Avira Antivir Personal Free Edition Not Updating
by elijah626 / March 8, 2011 1:00 AM PST

Check the proxy settings in Internet Explorer. reset ie to default settings also. If possible set it to detect automatically. That was the problem for me..

Hope this help everyone.

Collapse -
yes
by Sumair-Rocks / June 7, 2012 7:58 PM PDT

yes very said, thanks

Collapse -
Wininet library error may have to do with Explorer
by hirohata / February 10, 2010 2:59 PM PST

Hi, I had this problem with Avira not updating, and found that even though I am using Firefox, the solution is in Explorer. Open Explorer, under internet options, choose LAN settings, and under proxy server, make sure the box is UNchecked for Use a proxy server for your LAN. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
thanks!
by thindery / February 26, 2010 11:11 AM PST

this did it for me perfectly. After I did you steps it updated within 30 seconds.

Collapse -
Perfect Hit
by sanjlika / November 12, 2010 10:43 PM PST

Perfect solution to the irritating problem. Avira needs to look into this as this means the setup is taking the LAN settings from IE even if you use Firefox. This has started recently. It was not this way earlier.

Collapse -
It is slow...
by Willy / February 10, 2010 10:29 PM PST

Avira is a slow and rather non-responsive update service. I think its because they have few servers or some type of ancient setup over there. Happy I'm using it now but that 1st update took forever to get through even on a fast ISP link, so it appears its at their end causes the issue. The final outcome, the updates do come just try at different times, if not automatic then manually.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Not able to update.
by rajhanschinmay2 / February 18, 2014 2:10 PM PST
In reply to: It is slow...

I tried making an update. It is failing to connect and download.
All network settings are correct.

Same thing is happening on multiple machines.
Downloaded newer version, re-installed it again. Still no change.

Anyone can help/

Collapse -
Avira Free Antivirus Failing to update
by lorisarvendu / March 20, 2014 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Not able to update.

If you have Zone Alarm Free Firewall and you have recently updated it this may be worth trying. I have had this problem for the past month, and have finally solved it.

Open Zone Alarm and click "View Details" in the Firewall section. Now to the right of Application Control click Settings. There are two sliders. Set the second one (Defense Net) to Manual from Auto. Now try and update Avira. You should get a popup from Zone Alarm saying something has been blocked from accessing the internet. In my case it was "product updater". This was why I couldn't find it in the Zone Alarm program list, because ZA doesn't list it as "Avira".

Right, now still on the Zone Alarm Firewall screen, click on View Programs. Scroll down the list until you locate "product updater". There may be two of them (I don't know why). If you highlight one you will see the path C:\Program Files\Avira\etc. in the panel below. Change both their Smart Defense settings to Custom. Then scroll along and click on any red crosses (Deny) and change them to green ticks (Allow). Click OK to save. Avira's updater should work now.

Collapse -
Not able to update
by rajhanschinmay2 / February 18, 2014 2:12 PM PST

I tried making an update. It is failing to connect and download.
All network settings are correct.

Same thing is happening on multiple machines.
Downloaded newer version, re-installed it again. Still no change.

Anyone can help/

Collapse -
Unfortunately, You've Told Us NOTHING About...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Not able to update

...your specific situation..the types of operating systems you're trying to install Avira on, or the makes and models of the computers, or the exact VERSION of Avira you're attempting to use..Do the computers also have other antivirus programs installed? If so, uninstall all other AV products except for Avira. Are there any error messages when the update fails? What exactly do you see?

I've got Avira Free installed on multiple computers here, Windows 7 Home and Pro, XP Home and Pro. No problems updating except to say there are better times of day to attempt to update.. I believe Avira's servers are in Europe and it frequently helps if you set the update for a time when the rest of the World is sleeping.. Here on the West Coast of the U.S., I have set an update time for about 7:00 P.M. and I have no issues.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Not able to update

Some countries block such sites. Instead of updating try the old way of removal then installing the latest.

This thread is more than 1587 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.