TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Avia guide to home theater vs. Digital video essentials?

by zeep / December 22, 2004 4:31 AM PST

Does anybody have a recommendation between these 2 calibration DVDs? I read in reviews that a) both of these are difficult to navigate through and b) outdated - atleast the Avia one is, i.e., most calibration procedures are not applicable to LCD, DLP or plasma TVS? I have a Sony KDF 42WE655 (LCD rear projection) and the color seems a bit "artificial". Otherwise the picture quality is quite good.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avia guide to home theater vs. Digital video essentials?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avia guide to home theater vs. Digital video essentials?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony KDF-42WE655 Calibration
by murthage / January 17, 2005 9:43 PM PST

zeep... just purchased same set. Am also in market for calibration program.. please advise when you decide which is more suitable. Also, am using TimeWarner cable... still having signal strength problem.. have second visit scheduled. Digital channels are noticeably substandard.. even worse than old television. Are your digital stations "clear and sharp" ? Thanks....

Collapse -
sony kdf-42we655
by optifluid / January 18, 2005 4:55 AM PST

I have the same problem..I use Comcast with the cable card and the hd is great but everything elase is terrible. I notice the sound is also very loud and there are not enough steps to lower it to a quiet level

Collapse -
Update to TimeWarner Problem
by murthage / January 18, 2005 10:27 PM PST

TW came a day early and swapped boxes... the third one actually improved everything significantly. I was unaware of which channels were digital versus analog... now the quality of the digital is much better, however the analog channels remain very poor. I had a hum in my sound system... the technician fixed that by programming the cable remote to have control over the sound level... I was using both the TV remote and cable remote and had the tv remote set too high. If you are using the card, this would not help you... sorry.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.