Mac OS

General discussion

AVI to DVD

by natmu1 / February 1, 2007 7:02 AM PST

Hi,

I would like to put some .avi files onto a DVD so that they can be watched by putting them into a normal DVD player, can anyone please recommend me a freeware or open source software to do this?

Thanks very much in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVI to DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVI to DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not for a Mac but an example how perverse it can be.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2007 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: AVI to DVD
Collapse -
It is a bit jumpy,
by boya84 / February 1, 2007 8:11 AM PST

but if you drag the AVI onto iMovie project then use iDVD, then you will be able to put that burned DVD into a "normal DVD player" and watch it... and iMovie and iDVD are bundled with new Macs, hence, "free". We don't know which Mac you are using...

Collapse -
I didn't realise you could use iDVD to do this...
by natmu1 / February 1, 2007 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: It is a bit jumpy,

So do I simply need to import my files into it, arrange them in the right order and export them to a DVD? Does it read mpegs and avis?

Are there any useful guides you know of for doing all this?

I have a new MacBook btw.

Collapse -
MPEG = Yes. AVI = complicated at times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2007 9:43 PM PST

A little catchup on what an AVI is first. An .AVI is a container system. It can contain some MS encoding, DIVX, or any number of encodings. This area of "CODECs" is something I'll note and leave you to discover.

Look to HANDBRAKE or VLCPLAYER to transcode content if your software doesn't handle the .AVI

Bob

Collapse -
You can't use just iDVD. iMovie first.
by boya84 / February 1, 2007 10:09 PM PST

You need a transcoder before it gets to iDVD... Handbrake is one... or just use iMovie. Please re-read my post.

Collapse -
iMovie keeps crashing
by natmu1 / February 2, 2007 12:33 AM PST

Every time I try to import a file greater than around 300MB, iMovie crashes! Does anyone else encounter this problem? And how do I get around it?

Thanks

Collapse -
Transcode it first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: iMovie keeps crashing

Your crash is typical for downloaded content which is encoded "oddly."

Bob

Collapse -
Great...
by natmu1 / February 2, 2007 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Transcode it first.

When I managed to get a smaller file in, there was no sound! So I am having quite a few problems here! What do you advise I do?

Collapse -
Doctor...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Great...

To dissect this further I'd have to see the file in question. Then I would see how it was encoded and if VLCPLAYER or Handbrake can transcode it.

Without seeing the file, I can't offer more. Remember that Doom9 link? Here's what is important. Don't encode your stuff in oddball codecs.

Bob

Collapse -
It plays perfectly well in VLC
by natmu1 / February 2, 2007 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Doctor...

and not in iMovie, which I have seen s few posts of on another forum. Unfortunately there were no answers to the posts!

How can I check what encoding was used e.g. DivX, as when I open it in QuickTime and go to Show Details it does not list any information about encoding. If it is a DivX, can I add the codec to iMovie? Would that fix the problem?

Collapse -
I can't guess this stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 2:36 AM PST

Did you use VLCPLAYER to transcode it?

You never told. Also since I can't see that file I can't dissect it or tell you have to transcode it.

-> But first, if it's copyrighted material, don't tell me about it but just say so and I can unsubscribe from this conversation.

Bob

Collapse -
I only played it in VLC
by natmu1 / February 2, 2007 2:42 AM PST

I have not transcoded it, just played it to watch it. It is not copyrighted material btw.

How do i find out how it has been encoded?

Collapse -
OK, now transcode it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 2:47 AM PST

Sorry if I don't tell you how to use VLCPLAYER to discover the encoding but it doesn't matter. If VLCPLAYER plays it, then it will likely transcode it. Pick a nice neutral encoding.

Why don't I tell? Simple, it's in the docs or easy to find web pages.

Bob

Collapse -
Encoding
by natmu1 / February 2, 2007 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: OK, now transcode it.

It says Stream 0 is mpgv and Stream 1 is mpga

So what do I do about getting these avis to DVD??

Collapse -
Sorry, I'm stepping out here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: OK, now transcode it.

The information on how to do this is all in this discussion. It appears you need a click by click instruction?

Bob

Collapse -
You're right
by natmu1 / February 2, 2007 3:43 AM PST

I do need a step by step guide. I appreciate all your help, but I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing! If I need to transcode the avi files, I have just had a look on VLC's site and it looks complicated, as I need to put some information into console...

Do you know of any guides that will help me, and am I right in saying that I need to transcode the files so they import into iMovie correctly (with sound and without crashing)?

Collapse -
(NT) So why didn't you use File, Wizard in VLCPlayer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: You're right
Collapse -
Didn't know that existed
by natmu1 / February 2, 2007 3:54 AM PST

What do I transcode it to though for the Video and Audio?

Collapse -
Use file, wizard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 3:56 AM PST

It seems we are in some loop.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, didn't explain very well
by natmu1 / February 2, 2007 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Use file, wizard?

I mean, under the transcode step, which codecs do I use for video and audio?
It offers me MPEG-1,2 & 3, DIVX 1,2 & 3 etc for Video, and MPEG, MP3, MPEG 4 etc for Audio.

Collapse -
(NT) Simple is better. MPEG or MPEG 1...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 5:00 AM PST
Collapse -
AVI to DVD
by macvac / April 9, 2007 4:40 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.