Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

AVI's on TV help please

by spv / March 10, 2004 8:20 AM PST

I have an S-video port on my notebook, and have hooked it up to a TV and can see my computer screen on the TV, but when I try to play an AVI file using either Windows Media Player or PowerDVD all I get on the TV screen is a black screen, meanwhile the notebook screen is showing the movie. Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong so I can watch these movies on my TV screen.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVI's on TV help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVI's on TV help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:AVI's on TV help please
by Jeff Ng / March 10, 2004 8:48 AM PST

Try running your notebook resolution to 640x480 and see if this helps.

Collapse -
Re:AVI's on TV help please
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2004 9:05 AM PST

Try but the second answer is that is that MPEG stream licenses are per output and some drivers just drop the video.

PowerDVD's web site notes the copy protection issue.

On Cyberlink's website for PowerDVD which explains why I cannot see my DVD movies on my TV but I can on my monitor:

"The main reason is because the DVD Forum asked all DVD player developers (hardware and software) to protect analog output (TV-OUT) by MacroVision. Therefore, the problem may caused by one of two reasons:

1.When the MacroVision chipset located in your VGA card detects the electric equipment which is connected when the TV power is on, it will interfere TV-OUT function.
Our suggestion: Please turn the electric equipment power off which is connected to your TV.

2.There are many display cards in the market with a built-in TV-OUT function. However, there are some VGA cards that are not approved by MacroVision. Therefore, a DVD software decoder, like Power DVD, is forced to shut down the TV-OUT function to prevent any illegal
recording action.

Our suggestion: Please find a VGA card approved by MacroVision. Then you can watch DVD via the TV-OUT function.

#2 applies to me since my card is apparently not approved by Macrovision.

Is there a DVD player out there that will NOT shut down the TV-OUT function? I did receive a message from the support people for my video card that supplied the following information (I haven't tried it yet):

First, plug-in your computer to your TV using whatever you usually use, in my case I use A/V plugs from my video card (with the latest driver). Once your computer has booted up and you can see windows on your TV. If you try running either PowerDVD or Windvd it won't work.
For me PowerDVD gives an error saying it can't disable the TV-Out port and in WinDVD, all that I get is audio and a Windvd logo showing up.
So before you run either program, set your computer to switch back to the VGA mode (in my case click on the Asus Control panel in the tray, click on Display and in the top right-hand corner is a dropdown menu
with TV or VGA in it). Once the VGA mode is active your TV should go blank, but after 10 seconds or if you press the Escape button it should switch back to the TV mode. Now try and run PowerDVD or WinDVD and for some magical reason it will work and you will be able to view your DVD's on TV instead of the monitor."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.