Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

avg wont unistall

by lockies1 / August 15, 2008 4:58 AM PDT

hi I just purchased kaspersky anti virus but can't install because I get an error code when I try to uninstall avg this is the code as follows

Installer initialization failed due to following error:
Error: Initialization of the language file "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7" failed.
General failure.

any help please

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: avg wont unistall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: avg wont unistall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No authority here...
by glenn30 / August 15, 2008 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: avg wont unistall

but until someone comes along with better suggestion... this is what I would do.

You are trying to uninstall AVG but some file is missing or corrupt. Try to install again right over what you have and see if this will correct the uninstall problem by replacing the bad or missing file.

Only a suggestion... don't know if it will work but from your present situation it is worth a try.

Collapse -
by glenn30 / August 15, 2008 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: No authority here...

After you install over the bad version... then see if uninstall from the add/remove programs will work.

Collapse -
How to uninstall AVG (remove it permanently from PC)
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 15, 2008 12:09 PM PDT

Click on Start > All Programs > AVG 8.0 > Uninstall AVG
If you experience any problems with the uninstallation procedure, please follow the steps below:

* Download the latest installation file of AVG from the Download section of our website
* After downloading, run this file and choose the Uninstall Product option in the Select Setup Type dialog
* Finish the uninstallation process and restart your computer

Grisoft Uninstall tool which you can download here:

Collapse -
AVG wont uninstall
by lockies1 / August 16, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

Hi Marianna
thank you for your help But it didn't work , this is really giving me the you know what's !,I have tried as much as I can or know how too I have even searched in all the folders and looked every where to see any trace of this AVG stuff I need to get it of my computer ,I have even tried a registry cleaner but to no avail,it would be nice if I could contact someone via phone to guide me through any other means of solving this Problem /

not so Happy with AVG

Collapse -
(NT) Did you also try the AVG uninstall tool?
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 16, 2008 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG wont uninstall
Collapse -
Maybe you give the following a try..
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 16, 2008 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG wont uninstall
Collapse -
re wont un install
by lockies1 / August 16, 2008 11:40 PM PDT

Hi Marianna
I did do everything that you sad to do and it is still there some where ,I will try the software you just sugested and let you know of the out come ,

Collapse -
re wont un install
by lockies1 / August 17, 2008 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: re wont un install

Hi Marianna
lockie here thank you for your help I followed the link you gave me to a new software and it did the trick WOW what a head ache it was so thank you very much for your help

Kind thanks lockie

Collapse -
(NT) lockie..... GREAT job !!!!! Thanks for posting back :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 17, 2008 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: re wont un install
Collapse -
AVG 8.0 free and avg 7.5
by tuck1 / August 16, 2008 12:14 PM PDT

I have tried to remove avg free 8.0 and I just cant. I have downloaded 8.0 and removed it and it tells me I cant use it because I already have it installed and then it loads and wont work because it says a DIN file is missing. I removed 8.0 and and it just does the same thing. I removed 8.0 and tried to download 7.5 avg and it tells me you cant because you already have 7.5. I am using windows xp home. Where is this so embeded that I cant get it out of my computer. Any anti virus I try to run tells me I need to remove it and now i have no antivirus because the updates wont load, bad din file. Can anyone help?

Collapse -
by lockies1 / August 17, 2008 1:23 AM PDT

HI tuck1 follow this link the will do the trick for you

after installed, install AVG again, finish installing avg, open revouninstaller, select uninstall AVG, select the highest setting for revouninstaller

after the avg uninstaller finishes, click next in revo uninstaller, and let it find its stuff, delete everything it finds

Collapse -
ty lockies1
by tuck1 / August 17, 2008 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: RE AVG

Ty very much. I got your suggestion and it worked. thank you so much...tuck1

Collapse -
avg download error ?
by seenodeer65 / September 9, 2008 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: ty lockies1

I get this error after avg 8 installs.

The application failed to initialize properly ( 0xc0150004). click on ok to terminate application.

I have W XP . I did have avg 7 which worked great, and decided to do the 8 .. Nothing but this same error each time. No restore will work eather.
HELP! please.. Happy

Collapse -
If the AVG Tool does not work -
by DCL3-22522136767888884502658755989879 / September 9, 2008 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: avg download error ?

Check Add/Remove, if not there, Search Files Folders including hidden ones. Delete any avg; use ccleaner to remove registry keys then as a last resort Run regedit click ok, that is the registry; at the top is Edit click on that to Find and Type in AVG. The top of any spaces is the item to delete; F3 or Enter will keep searching and when it says finshed searching, X out of registry. Now you can reinstall AVG.
Darrell (was darclew3)

Collapse -
avg wont install or uninstall
by seenodeer65 / September 10, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

Ok I deleted all in search for files and folders except the last five wont let me delete . It says
" Cannot delete file, cannot read from the source file or disk.
What can I do.
And thank you for helping me. Happy

Collapse -
avg prob
by seenodeer65 / September 10, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

Okay I deleted the recycle bin and did another search, including hidden, and deleted more , but did search 4 or 5 times to delete straglers. It looks like there all gone. Do I still need to go into registry?
I didnt use the ccleaner you mentioned,, did I need to , and were can I find it?
Thank you

Collapse -
by seenodeer65 / September 10, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: avg prob

I found
"Default avgbro object"

That is all unless you open that folder and there are some numbers.

Collapse -
On search for files and folders, it does say can't be delete
by DCL3-22522136767888884502658755989879 / September 10, 2008 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: avg prob

but when you do a search again, they are are gone and that is normal. It means you can't delete a deleted item. Darrell

Collapse -
by seenodeer65 / September 10, 2008 8:25 AM PDT

Yes after it stopped searching and showed a list, I deleted them one by one, it wouldn't let me select all and it would not let me delete some. So I redid the search a few times to see if the some, and or more showed up, and a few times more did show up. I just followed the same process until there were no more, including the recycle bin.
Now not sure what to do from here and was waiting for you to reply, I had time to look into the registry were I saw one more file which says what i wrote in above post.
" avgbro object " Can you tell me were to go from here. Do I need to remove that from the registry or leave it and try the avg 8 download again?
Thank you.

Collapse -
Wow! No help here but...
by glenn30 / September 10, 2008 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: avg

it scares me to death when people start talking about changing or deleting registry items. That is not a job for newbies!

Make absolutely sure you know what you are doing. Do not take advice from anyone unless you know their expertise and credentials.

Hope this helps... just had to offer a bit of caution here.

Collapse -
doesnt work
by annae1214 / October 12, 2010 1:34 PM PDT

tried downloading from this link but the uninstaller wont run

Collapse -
Re: Doesnt work
by Ondrej_AVG / October 12, 2010 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: doesnt work
Collapse -
by DD1979 / November 30, 2010 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Doesnt work

i have tried for the past couple days to get this off my comp so that i can use combo fix, i wanted it off , casue the newer version is not compaitable with it . tried using the unistall that came with it , wouldnt work , tried unistalling from control panel wouldnt work , tried manually unistalling it wouldnt work this finally did , thanks !

Collapse -
AVG software Removal for Computer.
by pksuresh444 / December 30, 2008 8:32 PM PST

You can uninstall AVG successfully.
For that 1st you have to uninstall AVG from control panel.You have to enable show hidden files.Then type AVG and search.Right click to the seach file and open file folder and del.
If some *.dll files will not able to del. Then you have to rename the dll files in to jpg or any other.Restart the computer and search again and del.
It will work.I have don the same way for installing Kaspersky.

Collapse -
cant find any avg files
by litldrum7 / January 19, 2009 3:35 AM PST

I have tried everything in this thread and nothing works...
I'm on a new computer running vista64 and avg never even installed on my computer. It always said it had some file corrupt error.
Now I was trying to install Kaspersky and it refuses to install because it still thinks avg is on my computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.