Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG vs ZoneAlarm

by Kamehameha1081 / November 13, 2005 7:27 AM PST

I recently purchased a new computer and I am looking into getting a new virus scanner and firewall. I am using free versions now. I have ruled out McAfee and Norton because I haven't read many good reviews about their new software. I have narrowed it down to AVG plus Firewall Edition and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. Both products have their advantages, and I have been happy with each companies free versions. I have just one computer not connected to a network. I am sure I can't go wrong with either one. Any help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG vs ZoneAlarm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG vs ZoneAlarm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Free versions of these suits me just fine...
by glenn30 / November 13, 2005 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: AVG vs ZoneAlarm

What's wrong with the free versions of both AVG Antivirus and ZoneAlarm Firewall. I have had nothing but the best of results using both of these for several years.

It's your choice but I wonder why spend money for no more protection... just my thoughts!

Glenn

Collapse -
I Agree with Glenn...
by Larry38 / November 13, 2005 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: AVG vs ZoneAlarm

I have also used AVG and ZA Firewall, for about 2 years. Why Pay for something, when Both of These Products are Excellent and the Price is Right. Free
Sure you can pay for programs that arn't near as good.
JMHO
It's your decision.
Larry

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm
by Kamehameha1081 / November 13, 2005 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: I Agree with Glenn...

I have been happy with the free version of AVG, but the new free version of ZoneAlarm caused the blue screen of death when I loaded a CD/DVD into my rom drive. I got ride of ZoneAlarm free and haven't had that problem since.

Collapse -
Beware
by auggief / November 13, 2005 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: ZoneAlarm

Many of us here have had to remove free ZA as version 6 started creating connectivity problems with road runner, our cable server.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by crazeebob2000 / November 13, 2005 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: Beware
Collapse -
Use ZA Pro and AVG together
by chiawaikian / November 13, 2005 9:00 PM PST
In reply to: Zone Alarm

I recommend using AVG and ZoneAlarm Pro in conjunction. The anti-virus in ZoneAlarm Suite is by Computer Associates (maker of ETrust), which I think is not as good as AVG. However, ZoneAlarm firewall is tops.

ZoneAlarm v6 has some bugs currently. They are being worked out by the development team, so you might like to install v5.5 instead.
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1026_trial/zapSetup_55_094_000.exe

Collapse -
Version 5.5
by Kamehameha1081 / November 14, 2005 5:50 AM PST

I just loaded ZoneAlarm 5.5, and I tried some DVD/CDs in my rom drive and it didn't crash, so I'll just see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.
One more concern, I ran the Crash Analysis Tool Dell gave me and I still get the same message that I did when I had the newest ZoneAlarm on my computer. The results reads as follows:
Category: Application Drivers
Driver: vsdatant.sys
Manufacturer: Zone Labs, Inc
Version: No Version Information Available
Any Thoughts?

Collapse -
I don't know how to set ZoneAlarm!
by nancy7 / December 9, 2005 3:19 AM PST

I have used free AVG for years. I don't have a firewall. I know I am skating on thin ice. Everybody says Zone Alarm is so great, but all I have is all sorts of messages that are greek to me. I have tried several free and trial versions of ZA over the years. I thought the new so highly rated ZA would work for a regular person, but the trial version got more & more in the way (I was going to buy it after the trial) and finally, after I had to physically unplug the computer to make it shut down, I ditched it. Why can't they advise you of what to do with all these warnings if they are so advanced? They don't reply to cries for help, I am sure not paying for nothing but trouble. What I am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
Thanks
by auggief / November 14, 2005 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: Zone Alarm

I've downloaded and installed 5.5 Will let you know if I have the same problems I had with 6.0

Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by Maisie663 / December 18, 2005 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I am glad to read all this information, sence my last update with Zone Alarm to 61-737-000-en.ex.Compl. I am having problems with AVG, even though the antivirus and email part of Zone Alarm has been disabled. I lost my email scanner and could not get it functioning--I removed the AVG and reinstalled and for 5 days the eemail scanner is working. My suspicion is Zone Alarm as I had problems before is why I disabled the antivirus and email part of it, and when did it straightened out--now the update--so am waiting to see if I keep my scanner--the timing appears be Zone Alarm...update--hope I am wrong. IF another problem I probaly will try an older version of Zone Alarm, I am pleased with it. Thanks folks for that info

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.