Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG Vs Avira Vs AVAST

by kummah / February 15, 2008 3:08 PM PST

I have been following the posts and newsletters from the past few weeks and I find that the top 3 contenders for Free AntiVirus are AVG, Avira & AVAST.

Between AVG and Avira, AVG is self managed, very fast and does not consume much system resourses. Whereas, Avira is REALLY REALLY very slow and has to be managed while scanning.

In terms of scanning ability and effectiveness, I would like to know which is superior? From the reading material on this site and their respective sites, it seems Avira has a better scanning effectiveness.

Also, does AVAST compare with the above two?

Please advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Vs Avira Vs AVAST
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Vs Avira Vs AVAST
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All of them are decent antivirus program
by Donna Buenaventura / February 16, 2008 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: AVG Vs Avira Vs AVAST

You just need to decide which one you prefer to use.

"In terms of scanning ability and effectiveness, I would like to know which is superior? From the reading material on this site and their respective sites, it seems Avira has a better scanning effectiveness."
One need many, many samples of malicious software before one can tell which one is superior.
Fact is not all of them can detect all. And not all of them release detection at the same time on the time day.

Collapse -
The very best of those three ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2008 11:16 AM PST

if the one you happen to be comfortable with and use.

AVAST updates several times a day, and each update is small and quick.

My personal preference is AVAST.

Since all are free the wise thing to do is try them all then stick with whatever one you like most.

Collapse -
I'm a happy Avast user.
by JonathanCase / February 16, 2008 11:23 AM PST

It's very configurable, updates are fast and reasonably frequent, the free version has the same detection/cleaning engine as the pro. It has been stable and mainly trouble free, and plays well with my other programs. So far, I have no reason to want to try anything else.
Long time since I've used the other two, but they were both OK.
As said above, it's what suits you best, tests (which indicate they are all pretty darned good, with perhaps Avira having the edge) are just a snapshot in time, and can at best serve as a rough guide to the likely user experience.
Try them all out, in turn, see what works best for you.
Things I look for in a program include stability, effectiveness, good help files when needed, and last but not least, good support. Can't speak for the other two but Avast's forum is very good.

Collapse -
Avast and AVG suck, Avira rules
by emperordarius / May 3, 2008 7:39 PM PDT

It's true. AVG has a huge amount of false positivesm and Avast has a really weak trojan detection. While Avira may update slowly, it has the best detection among free antiviruses, an one of the best among all antiviruses. I use neither of them, I use Kaspersky, the best, But If I couldn't buy it, I'd sure tak Avira.

Collapse -
Having used AVG Exclusively for 6+
by tobeach / May 4, 2008 3:37 PM PDT

years AV (4 years for Ewido/Avg AS), I can honestly say that I have NEVER received a false positive warning from either of them. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Neither have I for at least that long :)
by glenn30 / May 4, 2008 10:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
What do you base this on?
by Tarq57 / August 11, 2008 10:24 AM PDT

Re: "Avast has really weak trojan detection."

Collapse -
Avasts trojan detection...
by chachabrown / January 1, 2009 5:20 PM PST

You are 100% right!
I LOVED avast until today.. when i spent over 5 hours trying to scan and detect 5 (yes FIVE) trojan horses while running avast.
and the 5 avast found during scans.. it would not and could not delete.. repair NOR move to a chest. this also includes about 8 viruses it actually DID move to the chest.
i finally had to reformat my whole computer.

i found that running spybot WITH avast works fine.. .if you run them often (avast has a run each time i log into my computer as well as a full scan i run approx 1 x a month ... then i run spybot as oiften as possible)

BUT our home PC did not have spybot.. hence.. NO trojan protection.

i have been told to use AVG.. what do you all think ? is this better?

i run a home business on my laptop and can not afford to lose all the info on it. I cant afford to wipe out its memory ...

it happened before with mcaffe AND norton... both which i will NEVER use again...

Collapse -
Sorry you had that experience,
by Tarq57 / January 1, 2009 5:39 PM PST

but without the detection names and where they were found it is actually a bit meaningless.
Did you try a boot time scan?
Did you submit the actual files found to VirusTotal for an online scan?
Are you certain they were not FP's? (May be possible to find this out with file and detection names, and paths.)
Even with affirmative answers to the above, although it is certainly an unfortunate event, it is no indication that Avasts' trojan detection is inferior to that of other AVs.
Generally, most AV's are not brilliant with a lot of trojans, because they keep changing their names, installation paths, and signatures. As you have discovered, a good antimalware program is a useful adjunct.
I'd go further and suggest a bit of immunity (say, a Hosts file) and system hardening ( say, disabling scripting in browsers) as well as a decent backup/recovery plan (like an image or similar stored on an external drive.)
As I read on another forum, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Collapse -
Not the best for me today
by lisedixon / August 27, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

I actually registered here to respond to the comment about Kaspersky. I spent my entire day off almost (9? hours) trying to remove a "windows warning message!" and recover stolen wallpaper from my desktop. I, sadly, paid for Kaspersky after using the trial version. After 8 scans and 2 live online chats with tech support (both of which took over an hour to begin), my Kaspersky was tweaked and ready for a deep scan. Didn't work. Then came trying to get a refund, or even a real human being. After 9 calls; I somehow ended up with a guy from corporate who was unable to help technically, but very kind. I ended up downloading online utilities for free that removed the window malware and recovered my wallpaper. After all those hours ,$60, and a really rough time getting help, I remain unimpressed with the big K. For the record: A SmitfraudFix utility removed the "windows warning message" box, and Malwarebyte's Antimalware got my wallpaper back. Both free!!

Collapse -
malwarebytes as back up
by cybergully / August 23, 2009 10:40 PM PDT

I am currrently using avira and it has served me well 100% detection and only a few false ones. Every time i got a virus it would alert me and id do a full scan and there its gone. However i did wondr about changing to avast but seeing as avira has such good detection and i have zonealarm (excellent by they way) for a firewall i see no reason to change to avast.

Definately download and regularly update malwarebytes it doesnt have real time but if any of your other antiviruses fail it usually previalis when you initialise the scan. Lisedixon i used malwarebytes only and it got rid of the virus and gave my wallpaper back Wink

Collapse -
I agree with you about Avg and Its false positives.
by kdawg00 / July 9, 2009 3:59 PM PDT

I got alot of false positives while using AVG so I switched to Avira and have had no problems with it.

Collapse -
Darn good for free
by Willy / May 3, 2008 10:03 PM PDT

For personal use the 3 Av pgms. will do fine, IMHO. However, i do find AVG getting bloated and going down the Norton path. That will make it more resource hungry. I use Avast and found it overall does well(knock on wood) never given me a problem. Avira, when I did use it sometime ago did OK. However, I found it not so upto date(timely) compared to the others at least it seemed so. Though when in use I had no attacks, etc. to come forth. All being free its a good value, however if you truly wanted added or more demanding protection look to thier "pay for versions" and/or other commercial pgms. to include suites for more business savvy usage.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
AVG becoming bloatware
by Draigous / May 6, 2008 8:17 AM PDT

I used AVG for a few years now.But this new version 8 is not going to keep me as a user. This seems to always happen when something becomes popular. It uses more resources now than before and its becoming an all in one type of product. I have never trusted anything all in one. I would go with Avira now. Avast is already bloatware and slowed my pc down alot.

Collapse -
Latest Avira free download does NOT scan emails!
by jammer44 / August 11, 2008 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG becoming bloatware

I just downloaded the latest free AVIRA virus package, and while installing it says that it does not scan emails... you need to upgrade to the pay version to include that. I don't know if the older versions did email scanning, or if AVG or AVAST free versions do. Can you comment if you know? Thanks!

Collapse -
Avast has real scan for email

It's called internet mail shield. Besides that it has Antirootkit and a very effective Antispyware protection

Collapse -
AVG does
by psm0169 / August 11, 2008 5:17 AM PDT

AVG for free does scan emails with outlook and Incredimail.

Collapse -
Avira
by amadaemon / August 11, 2008 5:42 PM PDT

Look at it this way,if sending email you have no need to scan it.
Have you or anyone you know seen any antivirus progs scan an email before you open it???? I have used all 3 plus ZoneAlarm Security Suite and the daddy at present is Avira

Collapse -
none of them.
by alvoryx / December 17, 2008 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Avira

i'm working as it admin..let me tell you something :

if you got a pc which is fully infected (i mean fully) there's no "antivirus" program in the world which is going to clean it at 100% up

those antivirus companies are the same kind of people than those one who are creating "viruses"

its the same bull**** believe me..

if you got a pc which is infected, better make a ghost of it and re-install the whole thing from 0

in MANY cases(i'm not going to tell every cause it *arrives*, like 1 or 2 times a year that i was able to recover at 100% an infected pc), this is WAY more efficient than trying to remove the "infection"..

and if it looks like its cleaned..wait a few weeks Wink

Conclusion : don't spend your time with this antivirus s**t : in general don't play with things you don't understand (opening unsecure mails, surfin on XXX sites, p2p, ...) or say it to your users.

Or if you do, stop searching solutions where you'll never find some..

Collapse -
I'm Another Happy Avast User..
by GinaPA / August 11, 2008 6:33 AM PDT

It is true that in one company's recent tests, Avira won this time. But you will normally find that Avast, Avira and Commodo exchange the #1 ranking from one testing time to the next, followed by the other two. So next time Avast may be #1 again--or Commodo, followed by the other two. Most tech websites have stopped recommending the free version of AVG--they say the company stopped giving their free version the attention they should and instead puts almost all of their time and energy only into their paid version these days. I thought about switching to Avira when I heard about the latest tests, but Avast does update VERY OFTEN (even more than AVG did when their free version was still ranked high ), and I am very happy with Avast; and as I mentioned, next time it could be #1 again! But the truth is that no program is 100%--even the #1 ranked program--so it still takes common sense on our part to avoid questionable websites and not open email attachments--no matter who they come from.

My advice would be to skip the free AVG and go with either the free Avira, Avast or Commodo. But since a few people mentioned that Avira is slow and caused them conflicts, I'm glad I stuck with Avast......Gina

Collapse -
I'm yet another happy avast! user
by 3agl3 / August 13, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

I have never used either used Avira but did for AVG some time ago. As it has changed, I cannot judge it. I have used avast for more than a year and I never had a problem with it.

I recommend people to choose their AV depending on whether they are adapted to it. But all AV cannot guarantee full protection, so I advise all internet users to be careful about the websites they visit.

Collapse -
AV or FIREWALL?
by bently / August 14, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

"My advice would be to skip the free AVG and go with either the free Avira, Avast or Commodo. But since a few people mentioned that Avira is slow and caused them conflicts, I'm glad I stuck with Avast......Gina"

Is Commodo an AntiVirus or FIREWALL?

Thanks

Ben

Collapse -
Comodo firewall or antivirus
by gmlewis / July 28, 2009 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: AV or FIREWALL?

I have installed Comodo Firewall ;free version] upon installation, it does give you the option of also installing the antivirus..This is the latest version from Comodo

Collapse -
AVG and heres why
by beaverhunter62 / August 11, 2008 7:41 AM PDT

I have used AVG for a few years now and when the 8.0 edition came out it seemed that most of the functions were only good for a 30 day trial period, but what a fantastic job!!! I paid for the full edition after the 30 days and i got another 30 days free plus my 1 full year subscription, EMAIL SCANNER, ANTI VIRUS, ANTI SPYWARE, ANTI ROOTKIT, LINK SCANNER, WEB SHIELD and RESIDENT SHIELD and it has different degrees of user friendly settings to scan when you want and only certain files if thats all you want, also the auto updates can be turned off so you can update when it suits you. I would buy it if i were you.. but if your in the trial period, buy it after and see how much more crap it will remove after the paid full version updates... GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE!!

Collapse -
I have used all three over the past few years
by lueeluee / August 11, 2008 10:19 AM PDT

For some reason Avast is the only one that worked on my laptop in the latest version. The other two froze-up the system on their latest download. I probably would prefer AVG, if it worked. All picked up viruses. Avast is the least intrusive.

Collapse -
I've used all three, too,
by Tarq57 / August 11, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

but only Avast recently.
AVG is quite a different app. now compared to when I last used it, and here is by no means the first place I've read comments that it is quite bloated, though it seems to work OK on a lot of machines.
Most Avira users seem to be happy campers. The lack of a mail scanner only matters if the Avira engine can not clean something that is detected, as a mail attachment will be scanned when it starts to run (ie: is opened) anyway.
Avast has consistently run well and offered good protection. I think it is the most configurable of the free AV's. The free version doesn't have scheduled scanning available.
I'd say try them all (one at a time) for a month or two each. (Use the appropriate removal tools when uninstalling them.) Then choose the one that seems to work the best for you. It's pretty much impossible to say which offers the best protection; they're all pretty good, and the monthly AV test results alternate somewhat in terms of "placing", but on any given month they're all good performers.

Collapse -
anti-virus software
by andrew.adams33 / August 11, 2008 8:28 PM PDT

I use Avast, as i find this software the only one to find threats successfully. I have used AVG in the past but found it totally useless for me,it did not detect any threats which were present on my computer. There are also some good online scanners available as well, which can be used to back-up your installed anti-virus software.

That is my opinion anyway,others will have other one they like.

Collapse -
Well, ...
by Ruzzells / August 11, 2008 11:51 PM PDT

... I have been using AVG and avast! antivirus instead of taking the stress. I used Avira 5 months ago. Beside of the slow update, i found that Avira can't delete/remove viruses.

I prefer using AVG and avast! instead of Avira. AVG has a great new GUI (Graphical User Interface), and avast! has many choices of skins (Altough you have to download them first, not included in the installation package. I'm using AVG as my primary antivirus and avast! for my secondary antivirus.

Collapse -
AVG,AVAST or Avira
by Roguewolf55 / August 13, 2008 2:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, ...

First off,never run two anti-virus programs on one computer. All you need is one good anti-virus,one good anti-spyware scanner,a keyscrambler and a anti-spyware shield. I use Avast-free for its smooth operation and its anti-rootkit. The rest,Superantispyware,spywareblaster and Keyscrambler. Can't beat it.

Collapse -
More than One AV Program?????
by GinaPA / August 13, 2008 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, ...

I am surprised that you aren't experiencing conflicts/problems, etc., because I always believed we should never have more than one AV program installed at any one time! It's OK to use more than one Anti-Spyware program, but not more than one AV program???.....Gina

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.