Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

AVG vs AVAST

by tmano68 / January 26, 2005 11:35 PM PST

I see quite a few posts etc about AVG. When compared to AVAST is there an appreciable difference? (coverage, ease of use, virus database, help/support, etc) or other factors that seemingly tip or bend the scales to AVG?

I know if you talk to AVAST people you will get AVAST kudos and likewise for AVG. Any comparisons beens done?

maybe this has been discussed before?

shopping

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG vs AVAST
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG vs AVAST
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Tmano68
by roddy32 / January 26, 2005 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: AVG vs AVAST
Collapse -
AVG vs Avast
by davparker / October 16, 2009 7:30 PM PDT

I used to be a big fan of AVG Free Edition, but when they came out with version 8.5, it became useless. The performance hit was tremendous, made surfing almost pointless. It wasn't a problem with a specific system, the impact was the same on every computer I used, ranging from old HW to a brand new high performance systems. I ditched AVG on all my systems for Panda Cloud. I began to use Windows 7 on 2 of my systems, Panda's version wasn't yet compatible, so I started using Avast on them. Avast has an incredibly small footprint and performs quite well. I do practice safe computing habits, using Privoxy for my web proxy to banish most banner ads (probably the single best security measure as most malware emanates from these ads), so I'm not prone to infection. I see AVG has version 9 out now so I'm thinking about giving it another try but I won't hesitate to dump it if they haven't resolved the massive footprint problem.
David

Collapse -
My Story Is Virtually Identical
by tobeach / October 17, 2009 3:13 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG vs Avast

By v.8x it had become a huge program (extra functions) but sucked far too much resources and with the inclusion (now a separate option) of the link scanner, slowed browsing to a crawl and with the other anti-malware features added it became subject to (IMHO) excessive false positives & other glitches. Since I have other protections, only really needing
A/V with real time protection, I went w/ Anti-Vir which has very small footprint and has allowed nothing in so far.

For many other of my readers, who aren't security comfortable, I recommended Avast as it has many other included features (like AVG) but seemed less problematical for average users without any technical skills who needed a more or less "all in one" type set-up.

I won't be trying AVG's new 9 for some time but am anxiously awaiting real world results & user comments & any problems requiring help.

For AVG free users, tech help was basically hopeless but perhaps
will be more accessible & useful with there being the new AVG forum here. We'll see. Happy

Collapse -
AVG vs Avast
by davidwholt / October 18, 2009 10:03 AM PDT

I know it is outdated now, but this comparison
is one of the reasons I chose Avira AntiVir for free anti-virus
after being frustrated with AVG and relatively happy w/Avast.

Another thing I like about Avira is usually at least one
virus definition file update daily.

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02
AV-Test release latest results

Collapse -
Avira
by murphy2010 / March 16, 2010 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG vs Avast

Tried it,and found a virus that it wouldn`t delete.Went back to Avast.

Collapse -
Avast new update will make people change to AVG
by Kevinandkimmy4eva / December 19, 2010 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Avira

Avast has changed its "Full Scan". Now you are not allowed to actually "Scan all files" My system has a good 300k files + and Avast scans 64k of them.

This is one of those mistakes a company can make, that will cost them their customers for good. People won't come back for years.

Even the trial of Avast Pro is the same thing. The only difference between the paid version and the free version (Trial vs free) is 2 new shields.

Realtime protection is cosmetic, the most powerful and most important thing of any anti virus, is scanning.

People with Avast (Trial or free version) are at risk. Because it does not fully scan all files.

AVG has updated their program. They have given the same engine into their free program as in there paid version. Very good move on their part.

Now with AVG and Avast, Cnet download count alone, AVG is twice as many downloaded than Avast.

How many currently using each program is unknown.

As for me, i am on a balancing beam, not knowing which side to take.

On one hand Avast has really good all around security. But not being able to scan "All files" is the biggest mistake any anti virus program can make.

Even though a 1 time 30 day trial of any program, would NOT make any company lose any money, but gain money. Another huge mistakes is Avast trial being as limited as the free version.

Now for AVG, they have MANY new features. And AVG has made small mistakes, but it does no in any way exceed the biggest mistake a anti virus program can make. (As in not being able to "Scan all files".

Realtime shields are NOT very effective, in any security software. Its all about the scan!

I am on the trial of Avast pro, i will be going back to AVG very soon.

I was planning on buying Avast pro, but not being able to see if it is worth it or better than free version, it is Avast's fault.

One mistake can ruin a company, and when people find out, and notice their system is not being full scanned, they will change to AVG.

And with the recent downloads of AVG being so high in a few months, it has already begun.

AVG downloads were a few 100 thousand more than Avast 6 months ago. But AVG has now doubled Avast downloads, and Avast downloads are almost at a stand still.

Switching from Avast to AVG now is what i will be doing. Because you cannot scan all files. So you really don't know if your infected until you can scan all files.

If Avast changes back to being able to scan all files in free version & trial version, i may consider going back to Avast.

Because realtime shields are the bonus, and not what fully protects a system (Anti virus wise) Scans are what truly finds infections not realtime shields.

Collapse -
Avast updated, and now you CANNOT scan all files.
by Kevinandkimmy4eva / December 19, 2010 7:29 AM PST

Avast has changed its "Full Scan". Now you are not allowed to actually "Scan all files" My system has a good 300k files + and Avast scans 64k of them.

This is one of those mistakes a company can make, that will cost them their customers for good. People won't come back for years.

Even the trial of Avast Pro is the same thing. The only difference between the paid version and the free version (Trial vs free) is 2 new shields.

Realtime protection is cosmetic, the most powerful and most important thing of any anti virus, is scanning.

People with Avast (Trial or free version) are at risk. Because it does not fully scan all files.

AVG has updated their program. They have given the same engine into their free program as in there paid version. Very good move on their part.

Now with AVG and Avast, Cnet download count alone, AVG is twice as many downloaded than Avast.

How many currently using each program is unknown.

As for me, i am on a balancing beam, not knowing which side to take.

On one hand Avast has really good all around security. But not being able to scan "All files" is the biggest mistake any anti virus program can make.

Even though a 1 time 30 day trial of any program, would NOT make any company lose any money, but gain money. Another huge mistakes is Avast trial being as limited as the free version.

Now for AVG, they have MANY new features. And AVG has made small mistakes, but it does no in any way exceed the biggest mistake a anti virus program can make. (As in not being able to "Scan all files".

Realtime shields are NOT very effective, in any security software. Its all about the scan!

I am on the trial of Avast pro, i will be going back to AVG very soon.

I was planning on buying Avast pro, but not being able to see if it is worth it or better than free version, it is Avast's fault.

One mistake can ruin a company, and when people find out, and notice their system is not being full scanned, they will change to AVG.

And with the recent downloads of AVG being so high in a few months, it has already begun.

AVG downloads were a few 100 thousand more than Avast 6 months ago. But AVG has now doubled Avast downloads, and Avast downloads are almost at a stand still.

Switching from Avast to AVG now is what i will be doing. Because you cannot scan all files. So you really don't know if your infected until you can scan all files.

If Avast changes back to being able to scan all files in free version & trial version, i may consider going back to Avast.

Because realtime shields are the bonus, and not what fully protects a system (Anti virus wise) Scans are what truly finds infections not realtime shields.

Collapse -
Avast
by bob b / December 21, 2010 1:23 AM PST

The full scan comes with predefined settings.

If you are unhappy with these settings.....create a custom scan.

Did you do this?

Collapse -
Yes, you can
by peterthedj / December 23, 2010 6:22 PM PST

The above poster is correct. Using the 'custom scan' option, on the next dialog, there is a checkbox for "scan all files". Very simple.

And to the others in this thread, I had Kaspersky for many years, it was terrific, but they changed 'something' and it eventually brought my IE to a near crawl. Links wouldn't open without clicking a dozen times. I suffered with it for quite a while, then switched to Avast couple months back.

Avast works fine. I'm very pleased. Highly recommended.

Collapse -
Kaspersky
by worldblackstar / December 20, 2010 10:07 PM PST

As far as i know Kaspersky is best to use. I am using in my pc. Best Internet security ever

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.