AVG

Question

AVG vs Avast ?

by yobnsweetpea / December 27, 2011 1:27 AM PST

Yesterday I installed and ran Avast free download. I like the results, a fb friend said AVG is much better. If I want to try it, should I uninstall Avast or go ahead and download AVG also? We these interfer with each other? Should I mess with something that seemed to take care of a lot of my problems?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG vs Avast ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG vs Avast ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: AVG vs Avast ?
by Ondrej_AVG / December 27, 2011 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: AVG vs Avast ?

Hello yobnsweetpea,

Collapse -
Answer
If you can manage to remove it
by talks_44 / December 29, 2011 8:03 PM PST

I would recommend using Avast. I used AVG in the past and I liked it, but things just kept slipping through. It even prevented some of my programs from running and wouldn't let me download some things.

Ever since I switched to Avast I've not had any issues at all. Just my 2 cents

Collapse -
Re: If you can manage to remove it
by Ondrej_AVG / January 1, 2012 3:00 PM PST

Hello talks_44,

Collapse -
Answer
Antivirus
by SmithAnderson7 / January 31, 2012 7:19 PM PST

what ever antivirus u choose its depend on u. Well, a antivirus must have following security feature file, mail, web, anti hacker, anti spy, anti spam, proactive defense .

Collapse -
Re: Antivirus
by Ondrej_AVG / January 31, 2012 7:49 PM PST
In reply to: Antivirus

Hello,

Collapse -
Your pick
by agirl_just / March 2, 2012 3:59 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Antivirus

Thank you for the breakdown on the dependent company branding and distribution, that is helpful. Do you have a recommendation for one in particular that performs well, or which one are you currently running and why?

Collapse -
Re: Your pick
by Ondrej_AVG / March 4, 2012 5:25 PM PST
In reply to: Your pick

Hello agirl_just,

I am using AVG (Free) for several years on my home computers. In addition, I am installing AVG Free on computers of my family and friends.
But none anti-virus can offer 100% protection (because new unique variants of infections are released every moment and virus makers are trying to by-pass known detected variants to be not detected for some time, when released). I recommend to think twice before clicking (trusting/downloading/running) any file from Internet. And to keep everything on your computer updated (operating system, anti-virus, internet browser, plugins/add-ons, etc.) to minimize misuse (exploit) of possible security hole.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.