AVG forum

General discussion

AVG using about 40% of CPU all the time

by dapackage88 / October 3, 2010 11:29 AM PDT

I'm running Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 3. I've just recovered my system from a nasty something and downloaded AVG 2011 Anti-virus Free.

I like AVG and don't want to complain about something free, but AVG is slowing down my computer as one of it's related processes is running ALL THE TIME (I found this with v.9 too, which I had before). These processes seem to be always running, and typically the combination of the three uses about 40% of my CPU: AVGIDSagent.exe, AVGIDSMonitor.exe, avgchsvx.exe...I want to protect my computer, but more importantly I want to be able to use it without all my programs queueing for attention behind an AVG process. It won't let me change it's priority in task manager either.

Is this just 'the way it is', or is there some other reason it's constantly hogging my CPU?

Thanks o knowledgable ones.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG using about 40% of CPU all the time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG using about 40% of CPU all the time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG using about 40% of CPU all the time
by Ondrej_AVG / October 3, 2010 8:03 PM PDT

Hello dapackage88,

AVGIDSagent.exe and AVGIDSMonitor.exe = new AVG Identity Protection component in AVG 2011 Free (previously just paid)
avgchsvx.exe = AVG Cache Server (since AVG9 product) - you can disable it in AVG -> menu Tools -> Advanced Settings -> Cache Server. But this process should not use CPU too much, only in the beginning until building cache is finished - have you run and finished the initial AVG Scan?

What is your computer performance? (amount of RAM, CPU frequency)

Thank you

Collapse -
Thanks!
by dapackage88 / October 4, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I finished running the AVG scan, and the computer has been left on plenty the last few days so presumably the cache is finished.
The issue persists - it's very noticable when I'm on the net, everything just drags.

For performance, I've got an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, 2,19 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 4600 graphics.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: Thanks!
by Ondrej_AVG / October 4, 2010 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Hello dapackage88,

AVG Cache server is not one-run process, but should be still running in background with low priority and caches new or modified files (not so high CPU/HDD consumption process as first scan).

But persisting behavior could point to some conflict with other installed protection applications (or firewall or remains of incorrectly uninstalled), which needs deeper analysis.

Please provide us with list of used applications (protection, indexing, backup) and used add ons (toolbars) in internet browser. Did you use other protection application previously?

Thank you

Collapse -
re: thanks
by dapackage88 / October 12, 2010 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thanks!

I got rid of add-ons which helped a bit, did a bunch of updates, but finally I just uninstalled AVG and re-installed it. Now AVG is using a more reasonable amount of CPU. So I think problem solved, thanks.

Collapse -
avgidsagent.exe
by devraj50 / October 11, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

just installed a 320GB hard drive and loaded winxp and downloaded avg free 2011.

avgidsagent.exe is using tons of cpu - jumping all over the place from 00 to 99 slowing down my pc to molasses.

any recomendations? dell 8200, xp sp3, 1.6ghz, 768mb ram.

devraj50

Collapse -
Re: avgidsagent.exe
by Ondrej_AVG / October 11, 2010 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: avgidsagent.exe

Hello devraj50,

are you using other protection application? (firewall, index/backup tool)

CPU 1.6 GHz is on minimal level of hardware requirements. How many processes are running in Task Manager (after computer start up)?

Thank you

Collapse -
avgidsagent.exe
by devraj50 / October 12, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: avgidsagent.exe

i have about 30 processes running - nothing abnormal. i just reloaded win xp and updated to SP3. then installed avg free, adobe, firefox, itunes, andthat is about it so all the other processes are standard winxp processes. i don't see why the number of processes running would cause any program to be constantly fluctuating between various cpu usage. and i mean constantly as i watch task manager avgidsagent.exe will go from 75 to 40 to 85 to 00 to 62 to 78 to 23 to 55 etc etc all within less than a minutes time.

i am using winxp standard firewall - thats it.

maybe i need to do what dapackage88 did and uninstall and reinstall avg. btw, i have been using avg free on this same system for years. just downloaded the 2011 first time however since i upgraded my hard drive.

thanks

Collapse -
by Ondrej_AVG / October 12, 2010 3:32 PM PDT
In reply to: avgidsagent.exe

Hello devraj50,

reinstallation could help in some cases of corrupted AVG installation.

Any chance you have installed and running service PostgreSQL or other SQL database?

Thank you

Collapse -
by devraj50 / October 14, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

i will try the reinstallation and no i am not running any sql program at all

actually since i installed this hard drive i have run nothing but the web browsers. (ie and firefox) i have not had the time to fully reinstall my programs so it really is a stripped down system

Collapse -
by Rustyrad / December 12, 2010 2:09 AM PST

I have been having the same problem and found disabling the Identity Protection fixed it. The downfall however is that avg says it is not fully protecting your computer. I would rather not use the Identity Protecting and still be able to use my computer than the alternative. A patch should be released to fix this problem.

Collapse -
by Dusan_AVG / December 12, 2010 2:59 AM PST

Hello,

There seems to be some conflict with AVG Identity protection and another software installed on your computer.

Could you please provide us with more details? What other software is running when enabled IDP is causing slowdown?

Thanks

Collapse -
re: avgidsagent.exe
by LehaneRacing / December 16, 2010 11:00 PM PST

Once you've disabled Identity Protection, go to - tools - advanced settings - ignore faulty conditions - tick 'identity protection'. You won't get the error message then Happy

Collapse -
Re: avgidsagent.exe - ditto
by wordloversf / December 17, 2010 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: re: avgidsagent.exe

I had same problem with avgidsagent.exe (using 40-50% of CPU), which seems to be a recent problem, as I've been using AVG for several years. I, too, disabled Identity Protection, as others have suggested, which made the problem go away. I think AVG has a real problem they need to address here.

Collapse -
Light reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2010 5:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Light reading
by Ondrej_AVG / December 19, 2010 4:05 PM PST
In reply to: Light reading.

Hello all,

> http://www.avgforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=867&p=3146&hilit=AVGIDSAgent#p3146

AVGForums.com is a free, unofficial AVG technical support forum. It is not endorsed by AVG Technologies, the makers of AVG. No AVG employees monitor or post on this site. AVGForums.com is a community support forum, provided by ShopUnitedNetworks.com for the benifit of the AVG user community. Users of AVG's Free products should seek support in the AVG Free Forums.

Identity Protection
- what is your hardware configuration? (CPU, amount of operating memory)
- are you using Google Desktop? If so, which version?
- please check the next folder* for any recent files:

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\dumps

Windows Vista/Seven
C:\ProgramData\AVG10\dumps

- if some exist, please pack the smaller versions (almost the same name) into an archive (zip file), upload it to your favorite storage and provide us with link to it (or open my profile and send me the link in a message).

Thank you for your cooperation

* Some folders could be hidden by default Windows settings. To view hidden files and folders:
1. On the taskbar, click Start -> (Settings) -> Control Panel -> (Appearance and Personalization) -> Folder options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Click "Show hidden files and folders" (the name may vary depending on the operating system).
4. Click OK.

Collapse -
avgidsagent.exe was taking over 55% of CPU
by frqs / December 21, 2010 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Light reading

I just disabled Identity Monitor. Truthfully I have an old computer (1gb ram, celeron CPU, win xp pro sp3) but after I upgraded from AVG8.5 to 2011 latest release, everything started to crawl. avgidsagent.exe was the culprit until i disabled identity monitor (and the notification error so I don't get reminded all the time)

However, even disabled, avgidagent.exe is still running albeit using only <1% CPU. Should that process still be taking any CPU cycles considering I disabled it?
I hate it when software hog the system to themselves be it running updates, monitoring, auditing, etc. The reason I was recommending AVG was because of its small footprint on the computer. This seems to be no longer true.

Collapse -
Re: avgidsagent.exe was taking over 55% of CPU
by Ondrej_AVG / December 21, 2010 3:47 PM PST

Hello,

please be informed that processes disabled through AVG User Interface are suspended only (in unique situations they can take a minimum CPU power).

You can uninstall AVG Identity Protection component by running AVG installation file again, then choose "Add or remove components" and clear the tick by Identity Protection. But I would recommend to monitor this thread at AVG Free Forum for version 10.0.1190 (or newer) and check the Identity Protection behavior with it (you can update AVG to mentioned version or repair with new installation file).

Please inform us about the situation with mentioned AVG 2011 (10.0.1190).

Thank you

Collapse -
too much CPU
by frqs / December 25, 2010 1:11 PM PST

I now have AVG 10.0.1170. I'll look to install 10.0.1190 as soon as it's available to check if Identity Manager binaries have now been fixed to reduce their footprint on CPU resources.

Collapse -
Terrible performance since installing PostgresSQL
by mikejmat / April 1, 2013 4:57 AM PDT

The avgidsagent is now running at 99% all the time

Collapse -
Can happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 5:00 AM PDT

An SQL server is pretty active so an anti-virus will be checking it all out.

Tip: Avoid posting in old discussions.

Collapse -
Solution that AVG rep can't just state clearly
by wordloversf / December 22, 2010 1:08 AM PST

For pete's sake, why can't the apparent AVG staff poster to this thread just state things clearly and offer a working solution? It looks like there's a problem for many people with recent versions of AVG's "ID Protection" component using too much CPU time, and unticking that component in the program preferences/options module doesn't actually adress the problem. So... if you don't still have your installer, go here to download the latest free version (http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-free-antivirus). Then either entirely install and reinstall or just run it in "add/remove components" mode. Either way, at the install set-up configuration screen UNCHECK the box for ID Protection and reboot. Seemed to work for me. YMMV.

Collapse -
I agree
by FenchurchS / April 17, 2011 7:36 AM PDT

I have to agree about the AVG staffer.

I haven't yet upgraded to the latest version of AVG, nor am I likely to if this is going to be such an issue. It's not just my computer I look after, I am tech support for each of my parents' computers. The last thing I need is any number of phone calls about "why is my computer so slow, I can't get it to do anything",

I don't want to have to be faffing about with selecting which bits of a programme to install if I've previously had no problems with it. If AVG can't fix the problem, it seems I'll be looking for another antivirus soon.

Collapse -
Slowdown
by Dusan_AVG / April 17, 2011 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

Hello FenchurchS,

Performance of AVG is smooth when it is installed on computers at or above recommended configuration.

Slowdown issues are mostly caused by conflict with other installed software or due to low system resources.

Thank you

Collapse -
Reply to AVG using 40% of CPU all the time
by ingoldsby / May 30, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

I had this same problem on a friend's computer i was looking at - the AVG processes were going mental , just in idle mode , taking a huge chunk of the cpu resources - BUT , just by chance I was looking at Task Manager on my own pc , which also has AVG 10 / 2011 installed and very strangely , this manic activity was absent from my pc , also in idle mode - the AVG version numbers were identical on both pcs , so i wondered what was different - I compared all the settings on both pcs , they were mostly identical , so no clues to why the difference - then I had 'lightbulb moment' - I remembered that AVG 10/2011 had been a completely clean install on my pc while on my friend's , it was an update from an earlier version - so I completely uninstalled avg from my friend's pc (no easy job initself - as avg uninstaller proved useless) , removing every last trace from the hdd and the registry and re-installed the latest version , downloaded earlier - and lo and behold , a very well behaved avg , no longer hogging all the resources - must be some kind of bug or conflict in the updated version - so a completely clean install was the answer - hope this helps and that it works for you

Collapse -
RE: Reply to AVG using 40% of CPU all the time
by Dusan_AVG / May 30, 2011 5:06 AM PDT

Hello ingoldsby,

Thank you for your input.

Could you please describe the issues you have encountered when using AVG remover tool?
Did you use correct version? There are 2 versions available depending on your operating system(32 or 64 bit)

Thank you

Collapse -
Anonymox Addon for Firefox Cause CPU Usage up to 40%
by tarydium / October 23, 2013 10:51 AM PDT

After installing and activating Anonymox addon to firefox 24.0, AVG Identity protection service became a CPU time drain. Solved after deactivating the Anonymox Addon.

Collapse -
Re. Anonymox Addon for Firefox Cause CPU Usage up to 40%
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / October 23, 2013 6:45 PM PDT

Hi tarydium,

I've tested it on my laptop and all is fine... there is no increase in CPU usage after installing/activating Anonymox plugin. Which version of AVG is installed? What's the status if you disable all Firefox plugins except the Anonymox?

Thanks,

Jan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.