AVG forum

Question

AVG Start Up Time

by TrevorJT / October 12, 2012 11:59 PM PDT

I have AVG 2012.0.222 installed on my W7 ultimate 32 bit machine. The operating system iss loaded from an SSD.
W7 used to load in less than a minute, but now I find that it is taking about 1:30. I have Soluto running, and this indicated that AVG takes 26 seconds of the total, with 'System' at13 seconds and Zone Alarm at 9 seconds.
There has been no changes to my system, and I can't remember how long ZA and AVG tok to load before it 'slowed down' but I know that the 'system' is about the same as it was. Is there any reason that AVG is now taking such a long time to load?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Start Up Time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Start Up Time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Zone alarm?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2012 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG Start Up Time

Didn't someone note that mixing protections can hinder startup time?

Also, are you sure this is right? Not long ago I had this user complaining about Zone Alarm's startup time. They were measure how long till the Zone Alarm appeared in the tray.

We had to discuss "how things work." That is, the protection installs very early in the boot process and the icon is the user interface which can be delayed for minutes since it's not the protection at all but the "user interface."

Then we have the antivirus. It's startup time may include scanning itself and many other files for infection. Are you asking them to not do that and sacrifice protection on the alter of startup time?

Bob

Collapse -
by TrevorJT / October 13, 2012 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Zone alarm?

Hi Bob.
No, I am using AVG free which does not include a firewall, so ZA for that.
I am taking the startup times from Soluto and by disabling the Identity protection in AVG it's now starting in 3 seconds after a restart. I am wondering now, whether its slow start 'from cold' is possibly due to it checking/downloading updates. I'll have to check this out tomorrow after the comp has been off overnight.
Ref your last para. No, the only bit I have disabled is the identity protection and I have not delayed either ZA or AVG in Soluto.
T

Collapse -
The Identity protection is indeed one that folk have noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2012 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Your choice to trade startup times for protection.

How much clearer can I put this?

As to Soluto, nothing I've ever needed.
Bob

Collapse -
are you using
by itsdigger / October 13, 2012 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Zone Alarm firewalls as well as Windows firewalls ? I mean are you running 2 firewalls? Just a thought....Digger

Collapse -
Firewalls
by TrevorJT / October 14, 2012 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: are you using

No, I've only one running. ZA disables Windows firewall.
I've switched Identity Protection back on. I'll live with the delayed startup. I'll check AVG startup time again. It's 4 seconds with it off.

Collapse -
AVG startup Timings
by TrevorJT / October 14, 2012 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewalls

With IP on it takes 14 seconds on first reboot and 11 seconds on second. I wonder why this tales so long to initiallise?

Collapse -
Just the short answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2012 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG startup Timings

More files to load and scan. More hooks to put into OS, browsers and email.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.