Could you please confirm that this is clean installation of Windows and no non-default plugins are installed in IE8 / FF.
Also is there any other software installed? In particular any other than Windows Firewall?
I am responsible for a user community of about 20 people and hold a MCSE. In the past I read about problems with AVG 9 and several months ago I was not too anxious to install it and in fact I had my users set off the autoupdate feature. I had in fact forgotten about the problems while assuming some time ago they had been resolved. It had been 3 months since I had rebuilt a system so after spending the past 18 hours configuring a new system I discovered only after extensive testing there was a quirky problem of both IE8 and Firefox 8 locking up on second and third link paths of a website and particularly when a java display was the final destination.
I had discovered the browser navigation problem through extensive testing long after I had installed and customized everything. I stupidly did not suspect AVG from the quirky problem since it seemed unrelated. I finally gave up trying to figure where the install had gone wrong and started over. I started with a fresh install, then added all current updates to the fresh XP SP3 system with only IE8/Firefox applications installed. At this point with the fresh install and the multiple link test of IE8/Firefox3.6 it was then easy to trace this problem back to AVG 9. When I uninstalled AVG9, it all worked perfectly.
Well the software is free and I therefore don't have much room to complain but I do have to admit I got used to the flawless performance of pre-AVG9. Regardless, I won't be using or recommending AVG any longer and am currently looking for another economical AV solution for my retired and low income user community.