AVG forum

General discussion

AVG, staple of nearly 3 years will be replaced

by DonJuane / March 22, 2010 5:33 AM PDT

I am responsible for a user community of about 20 people and hold a MCSE. In the past I read about problems with AVG 9 and several months ago I was not too anxious to install it and in fact I had my users set off the autoupdate feature. I had in fact forgotten about the problems while assuming some time ago they had been resolved. It had been 3 months since I had rebuilt a system so after spending the past 18 hours configuring a new system I discovered only after extensive testing there was a quirky problem of both IE8 and Firefox 8 locking up on second and third link paths of a website and particularly when a java display was the final destination.

I had discovered the browser navigation problem through extensive testing long after I had installed and customized everything. I stupidly did not suspect AVG from the quirky problem since it seemed unrelated. I finally gave up trying to figure where the install had gone wrong and started over. I started with a fresh install, then added all current updates to the fresh XP SP3 system with only IE8/Firefox applications installed. At this point with the fresh install and the multiple link test of IE8/Firefox3.6 it was then easy to trace this problem back to AVG 9. When I uninstalled AVG9, it all worked perfectly.

Well the software is free and I therefore don't have much room to complain but I do have to admit I got used to the flawless performance of pre-AVG9. Regardless, I won't be using or recommending AVG any longer and am currently looking for another economical AV solution for my retired and low income user community.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG, staple of nearly 3 years will be replaced
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG, staple of nearly 3 years will be replaced
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other software
by Dusan_AVG / March 22, 2010 6:50 AM PDT

Could you please confirm that this is clean installation of Windows and no non-default plugins are installed in IE8 / FF.

Also is there any other software installed? In particular any other than Windows Firewall?

Collapse -
IE8/FF hang after AVG install on T60 Thinkpad fresh insta
by DonJuane / March 22, 2010 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Other software

Both instances were over the past 38 hours and both resulted from a clean installation from scratch - a XP installation CD bootable install, using options of delete and re-add partition, format partition. The XP install CD included SP2 slip-streamed. The order of activity following this fresh install was install:

- download and add all drivers from Lenovo site to thumb drive and install on T60 until all Device Mgr issues are resolved
- add SP3 to Thinkpad T60 2007 & reboot
- enter WINDOWS UPDATE 4 times allowing all recommended updates installed through today, adhere to required reboots when requested for a total of 4 system restarts
- use custom install of IE8 setting a manual config with all privacy selections enabled (no sharing with MS of any data)
- install Firefox 3.6
- install latest Flash release for both
- navigate to http://dallasvirtualtour.com/VirtualTours/tour1b.htm
- install latest version of Java from Sun MS
- click on various rooms, all works fine switching from room to room
- install AVG 9, select all most privacy settings, no data submitted and no link scan option selected during install; post install go to email options and enable in and outbound email scans with no eMail cert stamp
do live update on AVG and then set up for timed system scans and product updates
- reboot as requested
- return now to same website
- click on various rooms of the browser display, first is OK then they begin hanging up
- both IE8 and Firefox 3.6 begin hanging up on the link with java display and later stop responding all together as if internet connection is blocked; local netbios file sharing seems not effected as files still transfer; browser's file download feature stops working, both systems.
- remove AVG 9 and browsers go back to normal operation

Collapse -
Re: IE8/FF hang after AVG install on T60 Thinkpad fresh ins
by Ondrej_AVG / March 22, 2010 6:00 PM PDT

could I ask you to go to my profile and send me an email with location (online storage) of stored AVG logs from this folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\" and MSinfo32 output. Or just write your description to get your email address and I will reply you with other needed steps.

Thank you

Collapse -
Have to break this PD thread - sorry
by DonJuane / March 23, 2010 1:46 AM PDT

I just accidentally lost 3 full paragraphs I typed here - oh well! Let me try to recreate.

The directory you requested was apparently deleted when I uninstalled AVG. Sorry. I have replaced with another product, which for now is my easiest way out of this dilemma. It is working OK with the competing product. Sorry to leave you hanging like this. AVG on XP-SP3 has been a flawless product before V9 and absolutely wonderful up until now. The V9 seems a lot heavier performance wise than the previous versions but that seems the MO with all AV software, planned obsolescence, requiring more and more of the CPU to manage it. Not sure why AVG seems to change versions so often with the forced upgrades, but perhaps with this release you should consider allowing a temporary regression at least until these problems are resolved?

I also noticed yesterday Outlook 2003 lock-ups on a XP-SP3 system that I had recently upgraded to AVG9 a week before. I replaced with another competition software to see if that is the problem there as well.

I must say in fairness that I have a Vista laptop with Outlook 2003 and I don't see these problems there, so maybe this issues are with XP only.

Sorry to leave you hanging but my PD basket is full. I will revisit AVG again in the future as MS forces my users to migrate toward their never ending planed obsolescence programs. Amazing the amount of work required to keep systems up only to browse and open email :-S

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.