Computer Help forum

General discussion

AVG slows down computer

by LAG / May 25, 2006 1:47 AM PDT

Hi, I had my computer completely upgraded a few months ago, except for the hard drive, so it is basically new. I am running XP Pro since the upgrade. When I start it in the morning, my AVG automatically starts running. The problem is that it slows everything down so much, it takes a lot of time to open any sites or links. I didn't have this problem before the upgrade and also had been using AVG. I regularly check for adware etc. plus run the maintenance programs. Any idea why this is happening and is there anything I should do? I'm wondering if I have too many programs running with start up. There are a few that I could remove, but don't know how. Any advice? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG slows down computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG slows down computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG slows down computer
by tomron / May 25, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

''The problem is that it slows everything down so much, it takes a lot of time to open any sites or links. I didn't have this problem before the upgrade'

Not sure,my computer slows down when AVG is running all the time,but i have a cheapo.

Regarding start up programs,click HERE

Tom

Collapse -
Curious
by chuckieu / May 25, 2006 7:02 AM PDT

Not sure what you mean "AVG slows down my system when it is running". My take on this is that you are trying to compute and run a system scan at the same time. Of course
it slows it down. Any anti-virus will, if it doesn't lock up altogether. If this isn't the case, then AVG shouldn't be running except to get updates if set on auto. Clarify, please. chcuk

Collapse -
AVG
by LAG / May 25, 2006 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Curious

Yes, AVG is scheduled to run a system scan every morning on start up. This takes about 20 minutes and slows things down. The thing is, I've never had this problem before with Windows 98. It would just scan in the background and I could compute as quickly as if it weren't running. You say this is normal, the slowdown, I've never experienced it before.

Collapse -
AVG
by tomron / May 25, 2006 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG

I don't understand it either.Like i said in my first post my computer will slow down when it is scanning.

Did you try the link i provided and see if this helps your issue

Tom

Collapse -
AVG
by Bill Veik / May 25, 2006 9:59 PM PDT

If you switched from 98 to XP, your AVG may have control files that need updating. I avoid that problem by having automatic antivirus scans disabled. I run virus scans manually when I am not doing any computing. You may also help this problem by increasing your RAM if is is under 512K. making it 512 or more may provide enough horsepower to do both computing and scanning at once.

Collapse -
AVG
by chuttney1 / April 11, 2010 4:19 AM PDT

I have a suggestion. Did you uninstall your previous anti-virus software before the installation of AVG?

Collapse -
AVG Slows Down Computer
by houndman4 / July 17, 2011 2:58 PM PDT

Have been through this many times with customers and family, They installed AVG and it slowed there computers to a crawl. Problem - AVG uses lots of RAM. Solution - upgrade Ram to aleast 1gb or atleast 760mb and all will be good, computer will come back to life.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.