Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG Resident Shield Component not active

by anton520pa / August 25, 2008 2:52 PM PDT

I just did a system recovery for Windows Vista to put my PC back to out of the box condition. After the recovery I downloaded the free AVG antivirus and now I am getting a warning from AVG that says "Resident Shield component is not active".

When I open the section for resident shield it tells me that Resident shield is running.

In the Windows Security Center I am told that AVG antivirus free is turned off while in the AVG "Overview it tells me that all parts of AVG are "Active" except the resident shield.

My only other security programs are Windows firewall and Windows defender. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Resident Shield Component not active
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Resident Shield Component not active
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the following help?
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 25, 2008 3:34 PM PDT
The AVG installation must be performed by a user account that has full administrative rights.

When re-installing you MUST use the latest AVG install file. The following is the recommended method to re-install.

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package from [free.grisoft.com]
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
4. Restart your computer then...
5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

When you were performing system maintanence... you should have also checked for drive errors... I'll post that as well as the cleanup info again.

Start by cleaning up all temporary files I prefer a util called CCleaner found at [www.ccleaner.com] which does an even better job than the one Windows has and it can also look for registry issues.

Check your hard drive for file/system errors by running chkdsk. Open My Computer and right click on Local Disk C: selecting Properties, click the Tools tab and in the Error Checking area click the "Check now" button and select "Automatically fix file system errors". It will tell you that it can't test the drive right now and it will ask if you want to schedule it for the next system startup... select Yes. Restart your computer so that it can check the drive.

To also ensure your system is operating as quickly as it can... perform a Defrag.

Other protection software, if you have any and have not mentioned it, could also block AVG from creating the settings it needs. These must be disabled while installing AVG.

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?8,95497,95537
Collapse -
Another AVG problem due to AVG - CCleaner
by anton520pa / August 26, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

I received your instructions late last night and was going to follow them this morning.

Collapse -
Yes...
by glenn30 / August 26, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

I use that combination all the time. CCleaner is not a substitute for AVG but works well for what it does.

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.