AVG

Question

AVG rescue CD freezes at license agreement

by Dassalt / February 13, 2013 5:19 AM PST

hello,i have recently intalled AVG 2013 and tuneup to fix any kind of virus or problem,i scanne them both.first tuneup, and then AVG.while i was outside the my computer crashed,and when i tried to boot with it,a BSOD appeared.i tried booting at safe mode,but nothing(stopped at AVGIDESEH),then i downloaded ant put the AVG rescue CD in a pen drive and booted in it.everything was ok until the licensing agreement...it stuck,cant choose the "agree".
any solution so far?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG rescue CD freezes at license agreement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG rescue CD freezes at license agreement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do other LiveCDs boot?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 5:41 AM PST

Try a few from this list.

http://livecdlist.com/

The problem as presented could be hardware such as overheating this or that. Tell the forum about the make, model, age and the last time it was cleaned.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: avg rescue CD freezes
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 5:42 AM PST

First of all, everybody here (except maybe the makers) would NOT recommend running programs like Tuneup to solve problems. Those are more useful to create problems, although I don't want to say your current problem is related to your running it.

It would have been interesting (maybe) to know what exactly that BSOD was. Maybe you can reproduce it and tell us?

That stop at a AVGxxxxx.sys file (I think you forgot that .sys) usually means that that AVG library has loaded correctly, but for some reason Windows can't take the next step, which seems to be unrelated to AVG. There have been many discussions in this forum about such stops, also including AVG support staff, but as far as I remember it never lead to a solution, because (they claimed) it had nothing to do with AVG.

Putting a CD in a pen drive is physically impossible, but let's assume for the moment that you did that correctly. It seems so, because you can boot from it and it starts to work. But now it's stuck. That can mean that it doesn't have the right drivers (USB drivers, wireless drivers?) for your USB or wireless mouse or keyboard. I'd retry with a good old basic PS/2 keyboard and mouse, if your unnamed computer has such connections. USB is a second choice, wireless probably is a no-go. That's a guess, of course, since you didn't tell about your hardware.

My other guess: this is not a virus. Better find your Windows disk or recovery disks for a re-install. But that's a guess also. And - just in case - never run that tuneup again.

Kees

Collapse -
AVG rescue cd
by Dassalt / February 13, 2013 5:56 AM PST

R.proffit

i dont think its a overheating/hardware problem,last time i checked,my temp was 46 C on middle of gaming.
and im using that config:
I7 2600 3.4 ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 660 ti 3GB OC
500w power suply

the motherboard i dont recall,but is intel.

Kees b

the BSOD said to disable any kind of antivirus and run CHKDSK,but i dont think i can do any of these.

Collapse -
Re: BSOD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: AVG rescue cd

The BSOD has a number (something like 0x00001234) and a description. That was what I meant, not the diagnostics it suggests.

You can run chkdsk from the recovery console from your Windows XP installation disk. The procedure for other versions of the OS (Vista, Windows 7, Windows Cool is different, but since you didn't tell what Windows you have, I have to leave it to you to find out how to do it in your version of Windows. On a forum like this it's simple: we're dependent on what you tell, and if you tell as little as you do, we can't tell much either.

There's a Linux equivalent also for chkdsk also, if you boot from a Linux Live CD (or USB-stick). I'm sure that's easy to find, but I've never done it, so I leave that for other helpers. But if you use a non-standard keyboard (see my above guess) those might not work either.

It starts to look like a corrupted file system, maybe a hard disk with hardware issues. I hope you have a good backup of your files. Chkdsk might be able to do some repairs, but just as well it's not sufficient to get a good working system back.

Kees

Collapse -
BSOD number and windows version
by Dassalt / February 13, 2013 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: BSOD

i forgot to say that the windows is the 7.
the bsod number was:
0x000000024(0x0000000000190494,0xFFFFFA80065B2630,0xFFFFFFFFC0000102,0000000000000000000)
it might be a HDD issue,please tell me how to use theCHKDSK on win7.
if its a HDD hardware issue,a SSD only for the SO will allow me to use this HDD,im running low a money right now.thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
Re: BSOD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 6:41 AM PST

Just 2 google searches:
https://www.google.com/search?q=0x00000024+Windows+7
https://www.google.com/search?q=chkdsk+windows+7+install+disk
It's nearly midnight here, so I'm shutting down my PC. No more help from me tonight. But google is a perfect replacement, I think.

0x00000024 is a file system error indeed. So chkdsk seems a good next step.

It can be that this file system error is a one-time hickup. Then the solution (whatever it turns out to be) is final. But just as well it's caused by a hardware issue (hard disk, RAM, motherboard) and you need to replace one of those components. Only time will tell.
The power supply seems somewhat on the low side. Maybe it's enough to replace that.

This wasn't a cheap PC (I7, 8 GB, 3 GB graphics card). Sorry to read that buying it was taxing your financial situation. But repair might be not cheap either. Maybe it's still in warranty?

Kees

Collapse -
Let's hear more about the PSU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: AVG rescue cd
Collapse -
thanks!
by Dassalt / February 13, 2013 6:59 AM PST

kees b

thanks for your help,the pc is mostly intact,the most expensive is the GPU,but thats not the case.

R profit
i don think its a power supply issue,my old video card,that has the same requlirements and lasted more than a year(because its a old model,i installed the new drivers,then stopped working on my pc,but i was wit a new gpu anyway).my drivers are the latest,and i havent changed nothing about it.also my GPU is a gigabyte special edition,so it takes a little less power to run.and what about the rescue cd freezing issue? it may solve something if the problem is software.also that freezing issue was also happening with th ESET no 32,i was thinkin about buyin it,but decided change to the AVG and win 7 again stabs me in the back.

Collapse -
It's not Windows 7 ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: thanks!

that stabs you in the back. I think it's hardware.

Kees

Collapse -
The fact the Live CDs can't boot
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: thanks!

Usually points to hardware issues. The freezing is just a prelude to what you are writing about here.

Try other boot CDs to learn more about this PC.

The PSU in my opinion is still suspect as any dual rail model would be working hard. Much like your sedan on the Indy track at 120MPH. Might not last long.
Bob

Collapse -
probadly formating the system...
by Dassalt / February 13, 2013 7:27 AM PST

thanks for the help,ill try the system repair of the windows CD and i it doesnt helps i will format.if the problem persists i might buy another HDD and SSD(HDD arent expensiva at all) and study a little more about the power supply problem.i dont have any backup so it will be a pain in the *** reintall everythin with my 10 mb bad quallity net,but the pc is not lost.

and yes,windows is already a issue with me.imcompatibility with a lot of games and stuff like that makes you want to change to ubuntu once for all.

thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.